HSC performance pieces (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi there,

I'm a guitarist and I'm playing these songs in 2005:

- Dream Theater - In The Name Of God (solo sections)
- Lauro Antonio - Vals Venezolano No. 2
- Erroll Garner - Misty (solo jazz guitar version with improv. middle section)
- Unknown last piece yet. Probably Crack in the Hourglass by Aussie virtuoso Chris Brooks.

That's 2 heavier songs, a classical and a jazz piece.

Good luck all!!

HSC
chizm said:
where are all the guitarists?

i'm doing:
for the love of god - steve vai (really nice song with a lot of technical stuff in there)
bad horsie - steve vai (cheesy metal song with some cool horse imitations on the guitar)
satch boogie - joe satriani (pure genius)
images - cacophony (jason becker and marty friedman) (becker sweeps like noone else! its sooo hard!)
Noice ones mate!

FTLOG = Superb pick!
Bad Horsie = That solo is nuts!
Boogie = Fekkin' awesome song that I was going to play too!!
Haven't heard Images by Cacophony. I've heard the usual Speed Metal Symphony and Concerto No.2.. Awesome player... He owns Joe NOW, he never would have during "The Extremist" and "Crystal Planet" albums though. :rolleyes:

Scott

pristine

HSC
ur a drummer too.
my tutor is arranging a percussion ensemble for me, and im just playing the main part.

Blitz__Ace

HSC
help!

hey guys i'm doing 1900 - 1945 for my additional topic and i'm a piano player, would i be allowed to stretch the boundaries and play a scriabin piece from 1894?

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
Blitz__Ace said:
hey guys i'm doing 1900 - 1945 for my additional topic and i'm a piano player, would i be allowed to stretch the boundaries and play a scriabin piece from 1894?
nup u cant.. that was my additional topic too and i wanted to play a rachmaninoff piece that was written in 1899 and my teacher n i asked the board of studies even!! and they said no.. so i wouldnt push doing it coz unfortunately u CANT do it :) but there are PLENTY of really good pieces u can play that are easy enough to learn in a month, that sounds 'technically' difficult.

eg. im sure this piece is overplayed nowadays but have a look at 'dance of the wild cowboy' by Alberto Ginastera.

or just go for an easy looking debussy prelude.

good luck mate

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
for my aust. music last 25 years man. topic, i want to do a piece written in 1980---is that ok?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Well its 25 years ago exactly isn't it? It'll be fine. :)

I take no responsibility for any possible misadventures that may occur from this post

soulshine

HSC
hi team.

so far i think i'm just gonna play Vartarun by Sitsky on clarinet for the core perf. Has anyone played it before?

if i am doing comp for my elective... then is it just that one piece i have to play? i feel like i'm doing too little in the way of perf...

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Something you guys might not realise - but you should actually get in touch with the composers you wish to play. I know that most composers are available for consultation for a normal music lesson fee, so if you can, i'd take it up.

pristine

HSC
help.

okay, so now i'm kinda stressed out due to the fact that my pieces are too "typical" sounding. i'm a pianist(diploma level), drummer(4 years) and guitarist but i plan to do 3 piano pieces and one traditional drum piece. but im confused as to whether i should just focus on one instrument for the HSC. [oh, and i am doing MUSIC 1 if that helps]

thanks.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Jazz Man Tim said:
im going to play In Search Of Extacy by M. Hindson.... getting intouch with him would be a good idea i think :D
I probably shouldn't say this since Hindson is not only a big supporter of the Sydney Eclectic Composers Society, but one of my lecturers - but Hindson is a smarmy wanker. I remember back when I was in high school, and my class attended the Australian Music Day. We were the only fucking public school represented, and were treated with disdain by all the preppy private school students with "1997 Spelling Competition" emblazoned on their uniforms. All the student compositions displayed sounded not only beyond the level of a year 12 composer, but like they all came from the one composer - their teacher (Hindson), who I am absolutely convinced did most of the work on those compositions. It actually drove one of my classmates to seek additional "help" with her core composition, paying a BMus (Comp.) graduate to do it for her.

mugnet

HSC
are the majority of you doing music II?
i do music 1..and am planning on doing
- it's too late by carole king (will be doing vocals and piano)
- i should've known by little birdy (ditto)
- summertime by george gershwin (will be doing the vocals and guitar)

still have to choose a fourth though and am cutting it a little fine..

soulshine

HSC
mugnet said:
are the majority of you doing music II?
i do music 1..and am planning on doing
- it's too late by carole king (will be doing vocals and piano)
- i should've known by little birdy (ditto)
- summertime by george gershwin (will be doing the vocals and guitar)

still have to choose a fourth though and am cutting it a little fine..

beautiful selection there :)

how about... a joni mitchel song?

mugnet

HSC
thanks for the suggestions guys! yeah i was thinking of doing a joni mitchell song.."a case of you"..but still not sure. i've found it so hard to commit to pieces!!
i havent heard janis ian but i know the name.. what sort of style??
does anyone know if any of my pieces are done often?? i think summertime must be getting a bit worn out but i love it and have arranged the guitar part so it sounds pretty different

-silence-

HSC
The songs I think I'm doing are:
You've Got A Friend - Carole King
Under The Milky Way - ??
Vincent - ?
Be Strong - Delta Goodrem

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
Yeah I'm doing music 2 and Ext, with performance as my electives. I couldn't pass up the chance to do 6 pieces!! (I'm a singer) I've picked them all tho (Wow, I didn't realise I could be that organised!)

For music 2, I'm doing
"The Lost Sailor" -Christopher Bowen
"A Bit of Earth" from The Secret Garden (both last 25 years) -Marsh Norman
"Poor Wandering One!" from The Pirates of Penzance (my additional, 19th century)-Gilbert and Sullivan

For extension I'm doing:
"The Prayer" (well I will be as soon as I can find a good tenor to sing it with...) - David Foster and Carole Bayer Sager
"Mein Glaubiges Hertze" ("My Heart Ever Faithful")-Bach
"Voi Che Sappete" from The Marriage of Figaro - Mozart

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)