HSC performance pieces (1 Viewer)

HSC
To Gev

Hey i'm also doin classical guitar, playing

Maria Luisa (venesualen valse, by Antonio Lauro)
Sakura Variations, Yocho
the ancients Phil Hoghouton
tango en Skai, Dyens

im learing G of the NF and some bach cello stuf in my spare time though, God of the NF rocks! especly the way he brings back the intro at the end!

Will you be goin in the mcdonalds performing arts comp?

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
I play the piano, doing three performances and a viva, my pieces are:
1) "Girl With Flaxen hair" - Debussy
2) "Sonata in E" - Joseph Hayden
3) some Prokofiev Piece out of "Visions and Fugitives" its number 11 i think

HSC
yes the adagio is great on guitar, I saw Carlos Bonnell play it (i was actually part of the 2004 guitar school guitar-orchestra that accompanied him). Im arranging it to play with my school's string-group.

We did our half year performances yesterday! My Sakura variations got 20/20 and The Ancients got 19/20. im Very pleased, but they need work befor HSC. my teachers arranged a lesson with Phillip Houghtoun for me to study the Ancients! im very very lucky, Phill is really eccentric but very particular about how his stuff should be played.

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
I still haven't decided on my performance pieces yet!! I just can't decide. I'm doing 4, and I've got 3 possibles, so I definitely need one more, and I'm not sure if I really want to do the ones I've got. So far I'm looking at...
-Reverie (Debussy) on flute
-Musical moments (Schubert) on flute
-Take five (Dave Brubeck) on piano.
I'm thinking maybe another piano piece, or possibly vocals...

putri tini

HSC
starbaa- u should chill take it easy! just in these holidays do some research and really know what your best at musically like tone, technical, etc. you should just really think about what pieces would show off what you do best (and that will fit into the topics), instead of fussing and worrying a whole heap of ideas. Stick with what will reflect your best musical abilities :)

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
hmm i need to play 6 pieces... i can already play 3, need to learn 2 more and find 1 to learn this holidays

Core Aust music last 25 years:
1) In Search Of Ecstacy by Matthew Hindson [sax]

Elective 1945-1980:
1) Take 5 by Paul Desmond [sax](might change this one to a slightly harder jazz song, not sure yet, any ideas folks??)
2) unknown yet.... [sax/clarinet not sure]

Extension:
1) Golden Wedding by Woody Herman [clarinet]
2) Sax Quartet Adagio and Allegro by Handal [sax]
3) In a Mellow Tone by Duke Ellington [sax]

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
I DON'T KNOW!!!! I'm still trying to decide... if anyone has any suggestions however, I play cello and piano at about 8th grade.

vas y molo

Im doing:

Core- Non Je Ne regrette Rien
Hallelujiah
Pur di cesti o bocca bocca bella
His eye is on the sparrow

sugared plum

HSC
Zoltan said:
I DON'T KNOW!!!! I'm still trying to decide... if anyone has any suggestions however, I play cello and piano at about 8th grade.
ooh i played cello for the hsc, i changed my mind about pieces like a billion times.
in the end i did beethoven amajor, elgar slow mvt, sculthorpe requiem, um something i can't remember, popper spinning song?? and i can't remember ensemble either... anyway.
what are you thinking about doing? who's yr teacher?
my teacher's name was (is) zoltan. he had proust in hungarian.
and you should definitely play cello!

kibb

HSC
jazz man tim i like ur style bro....

im doin 1 classical piece for sax but the rest will b jazz...
atm i have my two jazz peices but i cant decide on the classical

for jazz im doing take five and anthropology... both brilliant pieces and allow for a lot of good improvisation which im sure will impress the markers... im also planning on playin a shared melody with a trumpet or another sax player but me mainly taking solo time... you guys agree with that?

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
ah sweet pieces there man :)
u don't really need to share melody in either of them, they work well with just 1 horn, but it might be cool if u get the other horn to do backing figures when you take a solo maybe? :)

brassedoff

HSC
On trumpet:
Core - Summerbird, Alan Holley
Ext.
1) Kent Kennan's Sonata 1st Mvt
2) 2nd Hummel
3) "Quartet" for trumpet, double bass, clarinet and violin by Sydemon. The other guy doing ext. on double bass is playing it too, so we'll be marked at the same time.

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
brassedoff said:
On trumpet:
Core - Summerbird, Alan Holley
Ext.
1) Kent Kennan's Sonata 1st Mvt
2) 2nd Hummel
3) "Quartet" for trumpet, double bass, clarinet and violin by Sydemon. The other guy doing ext. on double bass is playing it too, so we'll be marked at the same time.
Hhehee - good luck with summer bird - i can guarantee u that 49.95% of the hsc trumpet players across the state will play that piece so u better pull it off really well!! (the remaining 50.05% of the nsw trumpet population will play either ingition positive by hindson or that taxi piece)

I havent played the kennan sonata i think iv heard some one play it before is it hard??

Yeah go the HUMMEL!!!!!! ( i dare u to play it up an octave or two like the tastee brothers!!)

brassedoff

HSC
trumpet geek said:
Hhehee - good luck with summer bird - i can guarantee u that 49.95% of the hsc trumpet players across the state will play that piece so u better pull it off really well!! (the remaining 50.05% of the nsw trumpet population will play either ingition positive by hindson or that taxi piece)

I havent played the kennan sonata i think iv heard some one play it before is it hard??

Yeah go the HUMMEL!!!!!! ( i dare u to play it up an octave or two like the tastee brothers!!)
ah... I might see if i can find another piece reeeal fast. already scrapped ignition and taxi. Summerbird is my least rehearsed at present. *dies*

Kennan is hard. So that's where most of my work has gone...
apparently the hummel 2 is hard, and few people play it, but I think its easier than the other two.
and the quartet is virtually nonexistant. The con library doesn't have it, at any rate.

Edit: Kennan is hard for me :p. And I'm not risking anything that goes higher than summerbird on the day :p

Last edited:

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
brassedoff said:
ah... I might see if i can find another piece reeeal fast. already scrapped ignition and taxi. Summerbird is my least rehearsed at present. *dies*

Kennan is hard. So that's where most of my work has gone...
apparently the hummel 2 is hard, and few people play it, but I think its easier than the other two.
and the quartet is virtually nonexistant. The con library doesn't have it, at any rate.

Edit: Kennan is hard for me :p. And I'm not risking anything that goes higher than summerbird on the day :p
Ooohhh welll!! just remindin u that for your core piece it doesnt have to be by an australian composer as long as it was written in the last 25 years then it should be sweet. Argghhhh there are like not enough decent repertoire for the trumpet esp in aus music .... dont worry, one day when i become a composer ill write heaps of trumpet pieces so that hsc students will actually have something to play

brassedoff

HSC
argh... there's no time left! Summerbird it is...
*suddenly realises how little time there is left and faints* and I still suck at technical.

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
ok so just a quick question trumpet geek you said that my australian piece can include somehing not by an aust. composer? What does this mean? Can i do a piece, say, by a chinese composer if i want to? That would be wicked!

brassedoff

HSC
demosthenes said:
ok so just a quick question trumpet geek you said that my australian piece can include somehing not by an aust. composer? What does this mean? Can i do a piece, say, by a chinese composer if i want to? That would be wicked!
best to do an australian composer. The topic has an "australian focus" so, while you can do music from other composers, you should be able to clearly relate it to the topic. If you do one by a chinese composer, make sure you link it to all the australian composers who've been inspired by that sort of music, etc.
I'm sure you do get marks for how well it represents the topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)