HSC Subject Selections (1 Viewer)

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
I would keep both extensions for the first few weeks going into the HSC and then if I knew I would struggle with both of those subjects in the external HSC exams, I would think about dropping it. Markwise you don't really have a reason to drop those subjects.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
forevaunited said:
So at the moment i am seriously considering dropping both extensions for next year. I mean i dont really struggle with them, im above just on, or above average at a selective school but they are not subjects that i think i will excell at come HSC. Not knowing much about the theory of the HSC i am searching for help. As far as i can gather, it is better to get high end marks in Maths 2U than average in 3Unit. Same for English? Would the fact that it is a selective school come into it?

I know they are general questions but any help would be good.
You'll only have 10 units next year if you drop both extensions, thus leaving with you with no safety net if you bomb an exam. I would keep both extensions and try to improive. It depends on what selective school you go to, but it dosent really make a big difference.

You cant compare maths 2 unit and extension same with english they are completely different, and both extensions are only 1 unit thus you can only get a total of 50 from each extension subject.

My careers advisor did research on people who did 10 or 12 units at my crappy selective school and state average results and found on average the 12 unit people did much better. I'll try to find the stats.

"10 vs 12 Units

After analysing the results of our last two yr 12's, it was quite amazing to see the evidence supporting the continued study of 12 units in Yr 12. Overwhelmingly, students who retained 12 units gained consistently higehr UAI's than those who didn't. Look as some of these facts:
No student doing 12 units received a UAI lover than 70.00

72% of students doing 12 units receivd UAIs over 90.00(51% gained higer than 95.00)

Only 24% of students completing 10 units got over 95.00

35% of those studying only 10 units got less than 90.00"

Last edited:

forevaunited

HSC
Yeah sorry i didn't explain it that well. I am also doing geography accelerated this year, meaning i will have 2 unit to carry over. Thus if i did 10 units next year i would have 12 counting towards my HSC. I think a major determining factor will be my result in geography this year - if i do poorly at that i will keep one or both of the extensions. thanx for the replies

EDIT: lol wow those results are quite astounding, very helpful thanks

Last edited:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Some info from UAC: http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/download.html

"A question that is often posed concerns the relationship between the number of units studied and the UAI: ‘Do students gain a better UAI if they study more units?’ The data in Table A7 in the Appendix show that students with high UAIs tend to have studied more than 10 units, but determining causality is
difficult. It is likely that the more academically able students complete more units, so it is not surprising that they gain higher UAIs. On the other hand, if students only study 10 units of UAI courses and do badly in one course, their UAIs will be depressed.
To address this question, HSC students were grouped according to their achievement in the School Certificate Examination. What the data show is that the better students did, indeed, tend to study more units and within each group there was a tendency for students who studied more units to obtain higher UAIs.
This does not, however, completely answer the question of causality. The relationship between number of units studied and UAI within each group might result from personal attributes including interest, motivation, effort and time management. One cannot assume that simply by studying more units one’s UAI will be increased!"

Essentially the choice of dropping subjects or repeating is up to you, ask your teachers, year advisor, careers advisor, etc for advice.

Last edited:

dr.denk

HSC
Prelim
2u maths
std. english
visual arts
ancient hist
physics
chemistry

HSC
exactly the same:p

I love all my subjects except for the fact that i didnt get into ADV english considering i was dux in yr10 stdenglish. Now my uai will not reach the 98% i was hoping for:( Who cares lol, ill do a bachleor of science and then transfer to pharmacy:pP

Still, why is english the only department tha can choose for you in terms of adv or std?? its the biggest BS ive ever heard.

asdf5432

HSC
currently doing:

- 3 unit maths
- 2 unit english
- society & culture
- modern history
- economics (X_X yuck lol)
- legal studies

next year:

definetely dropping economics and maybe taking up history extension... and if I keep 3 unit maths I can drop 2 subs but i still can't decide if I should drop legal or society and culture. I'm doing better in society and culture, but I'm not sure if I can keep it up next year (with the whole PIP thing, etc). :S
I'm a pretty indecisive person lol :)

theodore223

God's reincarnate
HSC
Prelim:
3U Maths
Adv. Eng
Chem
Phys
Ancient
Engineering

HSC:
4U Maths
Adv Eng
Chem
Phys
Ancient

Dropping Engineering as it is so boring! I'm doing well at 3U, getting above 80's with little study, so i though there would be no harm in an extra unit. Having the 12 cos im sure i bomb either Ancient or Chem.

maddy_d

Taper Jean Girl
HSC
prelim:
3u eng
general math
biology
pdhpe
society and culture
mod history
sor1

hsc:
english adv
general math
pdhpe
society and culture
modern
sor1
history extension

i hate bio and extension english so i decided to drop then and i cant get enough of modern at the moment so i thought I'd try extension.I also want to do 12 units in case i bugger up another subject.....just in case

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
dr.denk said:
I love all my subjects except for the fact that i didnt get into ADV english considering i was dux in yr10 stdenglish. Now my uai will not reach the 98% i was hoping for:( Who cares lol, ill do a bachleor of science and then transfer to pharmacy:pP

Still, why is english the only department tha can choose for you in terms of adv or std?? its the biggest BS ive ever heard.
I remember about a year ago my English teacher spoke of people doing Eng Std and getting UAIs in the 99s. And btw, UAI's a rank, not a percentage :p

karnoganguli

HSC
Prelim.
3 unit maths
3 unit eng.
physics
chem.
ecos.
ancient history
(total of 14 units)

HSC 07
2 unit english
physics
chem
ecos
3 unit maths
ancient history

I've applied for four unit maths so if i get it then i'll switch it with ancient history... or if i get it i might not accept it. I'm on the fence for 4 units maths.

milady

HSC
prelim:
eng
maths
phys
chem
french
ancient

Biggest mistake: doing ancient history instead of another language. I hate ancient. I have been anticipating dropping it for two terms or so now.

hsc
same minus ancient
ext maths

Everyone seems to be doing extension. But i haven't seen ext french. is it crap?

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Hey guys, do you think it'll be crazy and/or stupid to do both 4u Maths and 4u English for HSC.

I'm considering 4u English since I love creative composition which is exactly what we'll be doing the whole year from what I gather but I dislike 3u English but I'll have to do it if I want to do 4u English. Another thing will be, juggling 13 units might be a challenge.

Prelims:

Biology
Chemistry
3u Math
3u English
Physics

Tentative HSC Subjects:

Biology (I might drop this)
Chemistry
4u Math (If my Prelim marks are good enough)
4u or 2u English (I'm still deciding)
Physics

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
I know someone who'd doing 4u Eng and 4u maths. Can't say about anything else, but he's coping brilliantly with maths :D So if you think you could handle it, just go for it. You'd always be able to drop if you change your mind later :)

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
airie said:
*blink* Why not? o.0
Hmm, just didn't know.

shinigami, I wouldn't think it would be crazy to do both 4 units of maths and english, what would be crazy is me doing both 4 unit maths and english :p I would suggest picking up both extensions for the moment, and dropping one of them if you can't cope with them later :)

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
~shinigami~ said:
Hey guys, do you think it'll be crazy and/or stupid to do both 4u Maths and 4u English for HSC.
In my opinion, it would be pretty hectic, but if you believe you are capable and have a passion for the two subjects, then you could go for it. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)