HSC Tips and Tricks | Part 1: Year 12 Info Round-up (1 Viewer)

need2study_girl

HSC
Do some people just go to uni not really know what the hell they are doing there?? because i'm pretty sure that gonna be me next year!!! :) At the moment i'm considering Bacholor of Business/ or Management at newcastle uni but only because that the only class i don't fall asleep in (ok mabey an exageration...) I also like/do really well in Ancient History but what does a person with a degree about history do for a living?? I really don't understand how i'm expected to make a descion that is going to affect the rest of my life on the fact that Business Studies is the only class i don't daydream in. What about all the other things I may be intersested in and would like a career in but i've never had a taste of them?? So i don't know what they are about but mabey if i did know that could be my passion!

It's just to mind boglling for lil' old me...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
need2study_girl said:
Do some people just go to uni not really know what the hell they are doing there?? because i'm pretty sure that gonna be me next year!!! :) At the moment i'm considering Bacholor of Business/ or Management at newcastle uni but only because that the only class i don't fall asleep in (ok mabey an exageration...) I also like/do really well in Ancient History but what does a person with a degree about history do for a living?? I really don't understand how i'm expected to make a descion that is going to affect the rest of my life on the fact that Business Studies is the only class i don't daydream in. What about all the other things I may be intersested in and would like a career in but i've never had a taste of them?? So i don't know what they are about but mabey if i did know that could be my passion!

It's just to mind boglling for lil' old me...
You can do ancient history for fun, even with a business degree as one of your electives. 'Business' also isn't a subject, there's many others deriving from it such as marketing, management, irhrm etc. So you won't necessarilly get that much sleep at uni.

I'll also be putting up a guide on choosing your uni degree after the hsc.

need2study_girl

HSC
A Guide! That would be SOOO great! How did you choose what you wanted to do at uni?? Did you have to choose or did you just sorta know?? Have you had any regrets?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I originally was an Arts-kid because I really didn't know what the hell I wanted to do with my life. Arts is actually perfect for that kind of mentality. Lots of arts degrees allow you to do business subjects as well as electives. So you could major in history and Management.
If, for example, in the second year you realise that there's something in particular you would like to do, you could always transfer.
Part of me wanted to do advertising from a younger age, but I was informed by someone that I had to do Media and Communications in order to persue that career. This was a big no-no for me as the cutoff was over 98 (i think) at the Uni I wanted to go to for that course.
Then, I found out that Marketing is perfect to pursue a career in advertising and marketing (I didn't know what marketing was before and thought it was an investment type thing).
My degree isn't as conscripting as some, as it gives me some room to choose.
I have to do a major/minor double out of: economics, political economy, industrial relations & human resource management, government & international relations.
So I effectively choose 2 from the above.
It gives me a lot of room to experiment with as well. I'm double majoring in marketing on the side and will be doing psychology and philosophy units for fun as well.
I'll continue on this later, gotta run

need2study_girl

HSC
pshycology and philosophy... that sounds really intresting to me but you see I really don't know what they are about. What do actually LEARN about in them?? Have any job ideas after you leave uni?? Anything you'd love to do?? I wanna job that I can travel in or at least work overseas in. I would absoluty LOVE to have a gap year next year work for a fair whack of the year then pack up and backpack around Europe!! That would be so... life changing (O the art galleries...and old buildings..the eiffel tower *sigh*) but the fiancial aspect is quickly killing my dream... :p That's another thing i really enjoy- art history.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
continuing on what I last said. I'm considering transfering to another course so that I can get an extra year to do 'fun' subjects.

Well, what you learn in any subject generally differs between unis. Also, in most unis you can't become a certified psychologist unless you do or transfer into a bachelor of psychology degree.
Sociology is another interesting course that might be good for you.
I'm pretty sure usyd offers art history as a subject.

I want to go into marketing/advertising when I leave uni.
If you want a job that involves travel, perhaps a bachelor of international studies degree would be good for you. Some unis even offer a year/semester overseas as part of the degree.

sig

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
Don’t type up your notes. Instead, manually write them down, summarising from your text book and cross-referencing them to the syllabus (this is for text book subjects). The syllabus is your greatest friend. Study it and remember it. Make sure you can answer each syllabus dot point.
I disagree about the part about not typing notes up (for science subjects/sdd), typing them up has some advantages -

* Easy Editing - Improve upon, summarise further, correct mistakes etc.
* Nice and easy to read - your hand writing might get messy about 4 hours of writing
* Much MUCH faster than hand writing so you can get more stuff done unless your very slow at typing - your hand doesn't die as fast when your typing especially for long study days.

However if you dont have ready access to a computer then I guess hand writing your notes is the only way for you.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
sig said:
I disagree about the part about not typing notes up (for science subjects/sdd), typing them up has some advantages -

* Easy Editing - Improve upon, summarise further, correct mistakes etc.
* Nice and easy to read - your hand writing might get messy about 4 hours of writing
* Much MUCH faster than hand writing so you can get more stuff done unless your very slow at typing - your hand doesn't die as fast when your typing especially for long study days.

However if you dont have ready access to a computer then I guess hand writing your notes is the only way for you.
Just do whatever that works for you...

As long as you get the ends, t'was worth the means.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yes do whatever works for you. Definately type them up if youll be doing the hsc on a laptop.
However there's something about body memory when you write something down which helps you remember it better.
I typed my notes up, then wrote them down manually

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
yes do whatever works for you. Definately type them up if youll be doing the hsc on a laptop.
However there's something about body memory when you write something down which helps you remember it better.
I typed my notes up, then wrote them down manually
best of both worlds eh?

richz

Thnx for this info, i need to try and find a state library, its a problem becuase the nearest one is prolly 1 hr away. :mad: If that was the case, would u still recommend me to go to the library?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
It depends on what you think. If you think that you will get distracted by more than 2 hours browsing the net, listening to music, making phonecalls etc at home, then definately go to the library. If you don't get distracted and are focused (as not many people are), then studying at home would be fine.

richz

lol, this forum is a distraction to me, when i go on for help, i get sidetracked by looking at these posts (not offend u), and the sport thread :mad:

sakura_05

HSC
i just finished my half-yearlys and felt my ranks have dropped dramatically which will effect my chance of getting a uai of above 90. my first few assessments have went pretty well but i really stuffed up my harlf yearlys. hoepfully the assessments yet to come will make up for the bad results in the half yearlys. i read the posts above and it really motivated me to study and achieve my goals. thanks guys.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
the half yearlys are worth minimal marks. If you've done well up until now, chances are your ranks won't drop much.
For example,
Youre ranked 20/200 after completing 20% of your assessments.
The half-yearly exam was worth 10%. Even if you get 50/100 for it, your rank will probably only drop to half way.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Oh and guys. I may be doing some motivational HSC-help + transition to uni talks at some schools. This is all just in my head atm, but I'll be working out if this is viable in the second part of the year.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Please do--thank you SOOOOO much 1Time4thePpl for your hints, adn everyone else--I stuffed up every one of my Term 4 assessments except for 2U and 3U Maths, and this term hasn't gone so well either--I'm really looking to next term, trials and HSC to pull me up.

Lorie

HSC
Learn from your mistakes in your assessments and exams in year 12. It's all too easy to swear and get angry with yourself if you blow an exam or assessment leading into the HSC. Look at your errors and learn from them. I blew nearly all my trial exams, and that motivated me to work harder. I looked at each section and topic of every exam looked at how i could do it better. The more you look into your mistakes the more confident you become and hence better results come HSC exams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)