HSC Tips and Tricks | Part 1: Year 12 Info Round-up (1 Viewer)

kow_dude

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
1time4theppl’s HSC Tips and Tricks

For subjects such as English, memorise your practice essays.

This is so True. You can get really good marks by just memorising. When i did my hsc, i managed to recall all my essays and i twisted them to suit the text type. I think this is the best way to go about for english as i had friends who tried to master their texts and write their essays on the spot during their exams. They were unsuccessful because the pressure was overwhelming. I remember for Paper 1 section 3, i memorised at least 25 techniques and 25 quotes. English gave me the worse friggin headache, and it continued throughout my hsc.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Where the fuck is part 2? How am i supposed to pass my HSC now you jerk?

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
Anyway, we're getting down to "crunch time" in the HSC internal assessments. Got to start studying for trials soonish and cope with the loads of assessments we have. How have past HSC students coped with the balance during this time.

I am finding that parties are popping up everywhere now cause of yr12 and all these 18th birthday parties. How do u ppl cope?

I am cruising at the moment, a lot of shit to cover for english for the trials and upcoming assessements this term (2). I know some of u are not into seeing the light of day after school hours and i have come to respect that (those who do not go out and study heaps). I do work hard, I am doing pretty well in school and I still go out heaps. I am aiming for 99.3+ and it will be hard i know, but work is pouring in at the moment. How did u cope?

tennille

HSC
This is pretty much a continuation of what 1Time4thePpl mentioned.

Best way to achieve your goal:

1. Like 1Time4thePpl mentioned, convince yourself the UAI cut-off will be higher (which it probably will anyway). A great way to achieve the result you want is to stick post-it notes in your room, on the toilet door, or anywhere that you know you'll see it of the UAI you want to achieve. I did this and it worked quite effectively.

2. The second tactic is to write down 22 times for 11 days on a piece of paper your goal. But instead of putting it in future tense, put it in present tense. For example "I am getting xx.xx for my UAI". For each of the times you write that, put a comment underneath of what you are thinking. For example:

"I am getting xx.xx for my UAI"
"I hope I do"
"I am getting xx.xx for my UAI"
"I know I can"
etc

The reason for the comments is to show your change in state of mind on your goal. You may initially believe you wont reach your goal, but after the 11 days, you may be determined and motivated to reach it.

This is another way that helped me achieve my goal (although writing for 11 days straight is a pain. You can't miss out on it one day. You have to do it 11 days in a row).

3. Don't burn yourself out by over-studying. You need to have a social life as well. This will release the stress and keep your mind off the HSC. You can also get a part time job (but don't work more than 10 hours each week). I found working quite enjoyable during the HSC. Besides the crappy customers, work was great and it released the stress (by yelling at the customers :p).

I hope that helps as well.

HSC
Experienced HSC peps feel free to join, any more helpful tips would be of great assistance.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
its important not to stress but dont fall into the trap of being content...im not going to elaborate but this applies to everything

khandigirl

psychotic wench
HSC
this is kinda reassuring and yet really un-nerving at the same time... im getting really killed in my rankings atm... so i'm kinda figuring im screwed now :S eh. wasnt expecting much anyways.

thanks for the help tho guys

tennille

HSC
There is still time for the trials. They are worth the most. If you go well in those, then you'll be fine. And there is also going well in the HSC exams.

khandigirl

psychotic wench
HSC
trials at my school vary from only 20 % - 35 %... and most of my subjects only have a 20% weighting LOL... trust me... i already looked into that as my one last hope lol... plus English is a real sore spot for me... I cant understand my teacher... Im not being slack here... he just makes no sense... and stays on one point.. oh lets see... we're currently up to the 2nd week of a point that should have only taken about 10 mins. its frustrating... eh. i dunno. *fingers crossed*

shoulda got motivated b4 now. :(

stazi

Nightman
HSC
khandigirl said:
trials at my school vary from only 20 % - 35 %... and most of my subjects only have a 20% weighting LOL... trust me... i already looked into that as my one last hope lol... plus English is a real sore spot for me... I cant understand my teacher... Im not being slack here... he just makes no sense... and stays on one point.. oh lets see... we're currently up to the 2nd week of a point that should have only taken about 10 mins. its frustrating... eh. i dunno. *fingers crossed*

shoulda got motivated b4 now. :(
you can still put your act up before the hsc. 20-35% is a lot!
Plus don't forget that the HSC carries a massive weighting as well.
What degree are you aiming for?

HSC
Hey guys, if my Assessment position - RAW HSC test mark, are:

English Advanced: 3 or 2 / 31 - 80
English Extension 1: 2/7 - 85
Mathematics 2 unit: 1/45 - 90
Mathematics Extension 1: 8/32 - 72
Chemistry: 4 or 5/31 - 82
Physics: 1/16 - 88
Economics: 3 or 4/24 - 85

what UAI do you guys think i'd get, after scaling off course? (aiming for 97+)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
99.95. no you cant predict marks. all depends on how you go in hsc, school, further marks etc etc. predicting is pointless

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Mike Long Le said:

Try the SAM

2003 UAI: 94.10
2002 UAI: 93.95
2001 UAI: 95.50

Mean: 94.50

Last edited:

LaCe

chillin, killin, illin
HSC
Mike Long Le said:

Remeber everyone, the marks in internal mean shitall basically, its the rank that is important because that is where all ur marks are decided. A 60 at a competitive school could mean a 90 at a pleb school. Its all about rank during the year

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
sig said:
I disagree about the part about not typing notes up (for science subjects/sdd), typing them up has some advantages -

* Easy Editing - Improve upon, summarise further, correct mistakes etc.
* Nice and easy to read - your hand writing might get messy about 4 hours of writing
* Much MUCH faster than hand writing so you can get more stuff done unless your very slow at typing - your hand doesn't die as fast when your typing especially for long study days.

However if you dont have ready access to a computer then I guess hand writing your notes is the only way for you.
ahhh but then your handwriting starts running away to crapahola.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)