HSC Tips and Tricks | Part 1: Year 12 Info Round-up (1 Viewer)

HSC
1time4theppl...u are truly a genius child!
just a quick question...with the whole internal assessment ranking...what's with the whole 'glass ceiling' thing? does it actually take place??

and just to add my 2c, i think studying at home is much better, you can study and feel comfortable at whatever hour of the day you choose, its just a matter of focus I guess...

illin

Ill factor
HSC
Wow this is good stuff,
Im getting mixed opinions about uni at the moment from ppl around the place. Some say that it is non-stop partying for like 4 years, others say it is harder than yr12 HSC, others say you will have a better time than in yr12 but more work, etc...
What is the truth about uni?
And concerning the HSC, i have nothing to say :p

stazi

Nightman
HSC
It depends how well you want to go. You can easily have an awesome time, go out most nights, pass the courses etc. However, you may want to transfer and that will cut down on partying and maximise studying.
It is easier then the hsc, as youre learning stuff youre actually interested in, but its much more compact, which makes it harder. In 13 weeks you will cover what normally you would learn in a year.

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
glass ceiling? huh? please elaborate on that
my bad...
we've been told at school this demented theory about...say i were coming 3rd (please God please God please!) in one of my courses...and i got the highest mark for that course in the HSC exam (God??? :s), my ranking is limited because of the fact that i came third in my school's ranking.
I'm sorry i dont know if tht makes sense...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Ok this is what happens. Let's take this example.
Jean-Paul the evil Frenchman isn't so bright at school. He enjoys crack.
He is coming 20th/20 in French (that's last for you not mathsy people).

In his HSC he transforms into a deceptacon and aces the hsc. He also sleeps with some of the examiners. French people tend to do that.
So he gets a mark of 100.

Everyone else in the class gets 50 for the exam. I'm not sure the exact system but most likely Jeanpaul will get around 75 and the top half of the class should get above 75 and the bottom half below 75.
Jeanpaul will also likely have to be retest as they will suspect cheating. And Frenchness.

That example definately isn't that accurate but what I'm trying to say is that you're not restricted by your rank. Actually, I can give you a more accurate example using me:
I was ranked 16th/18 people in Biology. My mark was about 45 underneath the person ranked 1st. I did very badly. Can't remember the exact mark but it was about 50%.
So I do the HSC and my mark is 90. Which is equal to the second-(internally)ranked persons HSC mark and better then many other people who were ranked above me. The person directly 1 rank below me gets 73 in his HSC mark. The person 1 rank above me gets 80.
Yet, my internal mark is reported as 86 despite my low ranking.
So, no. Your score isnt capped by your rank.

HSC
ahhhhhhhhhhh I see now!
I mean i always thought that if i stay in the top 10 of my courses I'll be right (because of the concept of the 'glass ceiling', which we are told about at school-stupid selective schools)
thanks again dude..
finally cleared that up in my brain before I start feeding it to year 11's lol

monique66

thanks, this guide is very helpful and funny, it made me keep reading unlike most other posts :D look forward to reading the next installment

Lorie

HSC
haha, dirty crack loving frenchmen

but 1Time4thePpl does make a good point there. Even if you stuff up ur assesment mark all is not lost. If you go well in your exams u'll go well in your overall mark. I stuffed up some of my assessments, and it did affect myy assessment rank, but it helped me in the end but learning from my mistakes for the HSC exams.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Lorie said:
haha, dirty crack loving frenchmen

but 1Time4thePpl does make a good point there. Even if you stuff up ur assesment mark all is not lost. If you go well in your exams u'll go well in your overall mark. I stuffed up some of my assessments, and it did affect myy assessment rank, but it helped me in the end but learning from my mistakes for the HSC exams.
Yes.
Learning is what separates us from fools.

Kulazzi

HSC
SpoRTsGaL said:
Another thing you should also do is EXERCISE! It makes you feel good, it keeps you awake, makes you more energetic, etc. This doesn't mean you should join a gym - just do half an hour of moderate intensity physical activity per day. You need to balance all aspects of health (physical, social, emotional, mental and spiritual). Exercising might help with motivation too...
I was thinking of joining a tae kwon do club, which works every saturday, the thing is, my parents (in particular my mum) won't let me, they come from a strict background where studying is first priority :rolleyes:

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Kulazzi said:
I was thinking of joining a tae kwon do club, which works every saturday, the thing is, my parents (in particular my mum) won't let me, they come from a strict background where studying is first priority :rolleyes:
Join it then. Tell your parents you need a way to release your repressed energy (read: anger)!

I can be your sparring partner :D

Kattywoman

I found myself wasting a lot of time during my "study time". To combat this, I made a system where I would give myself an allocated amount of time to do a task, and if I finished early, that was my free time. My effectivness improved dramatically- just make sure you don't cheat yourself by giving yourselv two hours to do a task that should take 20min. Be realistic.

hottie_mira

Kattywoman said:
I found myself wasting a lot of time during my "study time". To combat this, I made a system where I would give myself an allocated amount of time to do a task, and if I finished early, that was my free time. My effectivness improved dramatically- just make sure you don't cheat yourself by giving yourselv two hours to do a task that should take 20min. Be realistic.
yer i know wat u mean.. im sposed to b studyin now.. but here iam on the forums agin.. damn..sooo hard to resist!!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
zahid - much closer to the hsc. Or for all you know, i could be speaking at your school before then. I've just got to find out whether I need an ABN etc etc

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
zahid - much closer to the hsc. Or for all you know, i could be speaking at your school before then. I've just got to find out whether I need an ABN etc etc
yeah come down man, would be great for those kids that need a bit of motivation to get em going.

James87

Club Mac - 1st Year 2006!
HSC
Hey everyone
Not accusing anyone of this, but I just wanted to voice an opinion.
People who chose to do arts-type degrees arent necessarily of lesser intellect than those doing science or maths based degrees, maybe even the opposite. The realisation should be made that there are different states of intelligence, people have different strengths/weaknesses and interests. I go to a selective boys high school and only now in Year 12 are people starting to realise that maths/science isnt the only measure of ones mental/intellectual capacity - they even show an interest in arts (visual,music,drama). Maybe they are reminiscing about not being good at/taking up creative subjects. Like I am about not being good at/taking up science.

Anyways, thats my insight lol

stazi

Nightman
HSC
James87 said:
Hey everyone
Not accusing anyone of this, but I just wanted to voice an opinion.
People who chose to do arts-type degrees arent necessarily of lesser intellect than those doing science or maths based degrees, maybe even the opposite. The realisation should be made that there are different states of intelligence, people have different strengths/weaknesses and interests. I go to a selective boys high school and only now in Year 12 are people starting to realise that maths/science isnt the only measure of ones mental/intellectual capacity - they even show an interest in arts (visual,music,drama). Maybe they are reminiscing about not being good at/taking up creative subjects. Like I am about not being good at/taking up science.

Anyways, thats my insight lol

Ummm...where was this discussed in this thread? I'm sorry I don't know where this is coming from.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)