its bs
Try do Yeats~~~You dont kno which piece of crap they will throw at you

danz90

HSC
tau281290 said:
Mightly abuse King Lear after Monday, 11:30. =P
Will do. lol

---

Look, overall I think that people that have placed large emphasis on readings will not get great marks, lets face it.... but then again remember the 'positive marking' thing. if we still show some sort of personal interpretation, close anaysis of the text by shakespeare... talk about textual integrity and yadda yadda.. relate back to question, we should be set with like 14 or 15/20. lol

i think i'll leave module b till last on monday...
unless the question is good and 'answerable'.

Kalashnikov47

HSC
Ivich said:
YES! completely agree on that. unlike the other modules, this one is so random and u never know which question they will throw at you when it comes to power, because to me, its so broad.
No Powerplay is easy as ABC! i think it is the easiest module im doing. In the wild is ok, but Yeats (module B) is horrible

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
*Baby-K* said:
Module B: Critical Study of Texts
[FONT=CHLLI P+ Helvetica,Helvetica]This module requires students to explore and evaluate a specific text and its reception in a range of contexts. It develops students’ understanding of questions of textual integrity.
Each elective in this module requires close study of a single text to be chosen from a list of prescribed texts.
Students explore the ideas expressed in the text through analysing its construction, content and language. They examine how particular features of the text contribute to textual integrity. They research others’ perspectives of the text and test these against their own understanding and interpretations of the text. Students discuss and evaluate the ways in which the set work has been read, received and valued in historical and other contexts. They extrapolate from this study of a particular text to explore questions of textual integrity and significance.
Students develop a range of imaginative, interpretive and analytical compositions that relate to the study of their specific text. These compositions may be realised in a variety of forms and media.

Where does it actually say- no readings?
[/FONT]
I'll be waiting for you success with the argument with HSCAdvice line.
Good Luck ;) you do include readings if it has helped deepen your interpretation.

Ivich

HSC
Kalashnikov47 said:
No Powerplay is easy as ABC! i think it is the easiest module im doing. In the wild is ok, but Yeats (module B) is horrible
Man try doing Citizen Kane ffs. Reading the past papers, it seems as though KL and the rest would be easily moulded to the question. I hope they throw in something about relationships, because ultimately, that is what CK Kane is about!
If they throw in something like they did in the 2004 paper, then that completely fucks up my structure, so im screwed.
Im not religious, but im bringing in a picture of jesus to boost up my moral support! AHAHA Jesus is my homeboy!

shakky15

HSC
danz90 said:
Will do. lol

---

Look, overall I think that people that have placed large emphasis on readings will not get great marks, lets face it.... but then again remember the 'positive marking' thing. if we still show some sort of personal interpretation, close anaysis of the text by shakespeare... talk about textual integrity and yadda yadda.. relate back to question, we should be set with like 14 or 15/20. lol

i think i'll leave module b till last on monday...
unless the question is good and 'answerable'.
i wouldnt stress over it too much. be glad you know this now, and not an hour after u waled out of the exam room

basically, they got rid of the focus on readings because, as your previously outlined structure of ur response showed, people were analysing the reading and applying the reading to the text and talking about the reading and reading reading reading etc..

the purpose of this module (the reason its called the 'critical study') is because they want YOU to have a deep understanding of the text and its construction. You need to be intimate with it basically lol.. and im waiting to see how many inappropriate retorts that statement gets...

so yer i would basically treat this module like the area of study. basically write an essay arguing a thesis, and try and make it a bit more personal (but dont lose the sophistication). I wouldnt throw out the readings though, just mention them every now and then and describe why the reading influenced ur appreciation of the text.

I read some exemplars published by the BOS and some didnt even MENTION readings. like i mean, they didnt even have one word of readings in there at all.. and they were high range responses

im sure in the past they expected the whole readings thing. but not anymore coz it disconnected the students own engagement and enjoyment of the text and wat it meant to them. Its just that older english teachers who taught the older syllabus still havent shaken off the fact that the readings arent necessary anymore.

danz90

HSC
shakky15 said:
i wouldnt stress over it too much. be glad you know this now, and not an hour after u waled out of the exam room

basically, they got rid of the focus on readings because, as your previously outlined structure of ur response showed, people were analysing the reading and applying the reading to the text and talking about the reading and reading reading reading etc..

the purpose of this module (the reason its called the 'critical study') is because they want YOU to have a deep understanding of the text and its construction. You need to be intimate with it basically lol.. and im waiting to see how many inappropriate retorts that statement gets...

so yer i would basically treat this module like the area of study. basically write an essay arguing a thesis, and try and make it a bit more personal (but dont lose the sophistication). I wouldnt throw out the readings though, just mention them every now and then and describe why the reading influenced ur appreciation of the text.

I read some exemplars published by the BOS and some didnt even MENTION readings. like i mean, they didnt even have one word of readings in there at all.. and they were high range responses

im sure in the past they expected the whole readings thing. but not anymore coz it disconnected the students own engagement and enjoyment of the text and wat it meant to them. Its just that older english teachers who taught the older syllabus still havent shaken off the fact that the readings arent necessary anymore.
awesome... thanks for that dude :)

i guess ill just have to remove my paragraphs defining the readings of each director's representation... and replace them with the social context of Shakespeare. Then in each paragraph really drive through the analysis of shakespeare's lang. features and then what it revealed to ME.

Mehh not that bad now when I really think bout it.

F*$% you stupid readings!!

shakky15

HSC
hope it helped :)

a few days ago i thought it was just as much about the readings as everyone else.

BOS ftw.

danz90

HSC
shakky15 said:
hope it helped :)

a few days ago i thought it was just as much about the readings as everyone else.

BOS ftw.
lol actually i started to realise a few days ago...approached my teacher.. and shes like nah nah don't worry what you're doing is fine. make sure the readings are really prominent bla bla. i guess, like u said.. she's still sticking to her methods of the older trends.

:mad:

but BOS are idiots for not explicitly making sure all students find out that readings shouldn't be the focus of your critical study. everyone i've spoken to about this module says the BOS syllabus wording is so ambiguous.
like - when it talks about the texts reception in a range of different contexts - doesnt that bluddy mean how it is read in diferrent directorial representations such as family psychological reading (richard eyre - 1998 production, ie modern 20th century production)

how the hell do we exactly address THAT dotpoint of the rubric?

shakky15

HSC
danz90 said:
lol actually i started to realise a few days ago...approached my teacher.. and shes like nah nah don't worry what you're doing is fine. make sure the readings are really prominent bla bla. i guess, like u said.. she's still sticking to her methods of the older trends.

:mad:

but BOS are idiots for not explicitly making sure all students find out that readings shouldn't be the focus of your critical study. everyone i've spoken to about this module says the BOS syllabus wording is so ambiguous.
like - when it talks about the texts reception in a range of different contexts - doesnt that bluddy mean how it is read in diferrent directorial representations such as family psychological reading (richard eyre - 1998 production, ie modern 20th century production)

how the hell do we exactly address THAT dotpoint of the rubric?
yer good point. well i think your meant to consult different readings while u critically analyse the text. Its just that they dont want u to waffle on about the readings in ur response.

i think it would feature a little more prominently in the question you just posed though, as the different readings do show how the text has been received in different contexts. make mention of the readings and what they say about the text, and some techniques in the text that support the reading. but don't go overboard with this. The reading is not the focus of the module. the text is.

danz90

HSC
lol im calling up HSC advice line again tomorrow for the n-th time... im going to clarify the structure of the response.... and what they want from that 2nd rubric point (evaluate the texts reception in a range of different contexts).

thanks again for ur help shakky ;)

shakky15

HSC
danz90 said:
lol im calling up HSC advice line again tomorrow for the n-th time... im going to clarify the structure of the response.... and what they want from that 2nd rubric point (evaluate the texts reception in a range of different contexts).

thanks again for ur help shakky ;)
np and yeh ill probably give them a call too...

are they just average teachers or syllabus writers etc..?

danz90

HSC
shakky15 said:
np and yeh ill probably give them a call too...

are they just average teachers or syllabus writers etc..?
they are apparently 'experienced teachers'...

well when i called up today about this particular issue... the lady was a bit iffy on it. she was clear that the marker wants us to present our personal interpretation from the original text by shakespeare.. and said not to emphasise on readings..

but then when i asked her "then if we dont emphasise readings, how are we addressing the dotpoint in the rubric about evaluating the texts reception in different contexts?"
then she was kinda silent and said in this matter-of-fact tone "listen.. this is what u have to do... make clear your personal interpretation. you are closely studying king lear as a text by shakespeare... analyse textual features and quotes from the text that show your deep knowledge... " yadda yadda...
or something along those lines, and thus she didnt really answer my question.

tomorrow im gonna persist until i get a clear-cut answer.

lmorris

they see me rollin'.
HSC
Hm....

I deeply hope that the question is about personal response, and not about reception over the ages (blah blah blah.)

Talking about readings and productions is so boring.

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
i sufferred so much from having to accept those readings and don't even get the fun part :'(

jazzyphaye

HSC
mann... this module sucks ass jees everyone's god damn confused..

i don't think anyone's going to get a clear answer so just might as well go in and just wing it haha only 20 marks lol.. and if we're not happy with it afterwards.. complain to board of studies non-stop lol

if anyone did wuthering heights.. did anyone notice how one year they specifically made you refer to Heathcliff? omlord .. screw up x10000

lmorris

they see me rollin'.
HSC
Shadose said:
i sufferred so much from having to accept those readings and don't even get the fun part :'(
:( The best part is making up your own wacky theories! It sucks that some of you have teachers that didn't emphasise that aspect of the course... the first thing our teacher told us was that this module was all about personal response

But despite that, some people still did reading-based responses in the trial...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)