HSC
English standard 2U
Physics 2U
SDD 2U
Math 2U
Math Ex 1 1U

Chemistry 2U
English Fundamentals 1U

I currently have 12U for the above subjects and I'm intending to drop the bottom two.
I was thinking of doing 4U math so that I'd have 10 Units, but because many students drop Ex2, my school says I need at least 11 units so that I can drop Ex2 if it gets too hard. Especially because my test results for Ex1 was not excellent (73%).

The choices I have are:
*If I could negotiate with all the teachers and if I am good enough to do 4 U, then I could do 4U with 10 units.
*If it is possible to pick up Japanese Continuers, I would have enough units, except I'm not sure if I could do it without taking it in Yr 11.
*I am able to do senior science along with Physics, it would hopefully be better to do senior science than chemistry.
*The last choice is to try hard in Chem. But I rejected Chem and I don't think it would come back to me. I scored 23/75 for the yearlys.

I'm prioring my second choice, especially because I am quite fluent in Jap, does anyone know if I could pick up Jap continuers?

Last edited:

bored of sc

HSC
You can't pick up a subject you didn't do in year 11 unless it is extension of another subject OR senior science like you said.

So you can either convince them you can handle extension 2 maths or pick senior science (if you are certain you're dropping chemistry and english fundamentals).

But in the end it's up to you.

chltmddus112

HSC
I have seen many people who did 4u maths with total of 10 units, and they fail 4u maths later and now regretting.

If i were you, i would jst try hard on Chemistry because year 11 works and year 12 works are not really connected anyways, and moreoverm senior science scales down ALOT..

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
chltmddus112 said:
I have seen many people who did 4u maths with total of 10 units, and they fail 4u maths later and now regretting.

If i were you, i would jst try hard on Chemistry because year 11 works and year 12 works are not really connected anyways, and moreoverm senior science scales down ALOT..
chemistry is pretty connected from 11-12, but u can still do well of course, its not hard to relearn the basics.
also, it may be true that there are some people with 4unit maths and 10 units and failing it but there are also many people (from my school) that do 4unit maths and do 10 units and they all do fine.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
PrettyOddProlix said:
Do you figure that your school happens to be pretty good at Maths in general?
One of the biggest problems with 4U, is that if you try to drop it, you can't, because you'll have no internal assessment mark.
Don't most schools make 4unit students do 3unit assessments in case they drop.

With the Bulldogs next year; that is, the Yale Bul
HSC
kaz1 said:
Don't most schools make 4unit students do 3unit assessments in case they drop.
For 2U Maths.

3U is 2 and 3U.
4U is 3 and 4U.

Do you get what I'm saying here (or trying to say)?
ekoolish said:
I would pick up senior science, you've done chemistry so you would gg senior science.
I'm fairly sure there's something that says you can't do an actual science and Senior Science. Maybe that's just concurrently, though.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
PrettyOddProlix said:
For 2U Maths.

3U is 2 and 3U.
4U is 3 and 4U.

Do you get what I'm saying here (or trying to say)?
I'm fairly sure there's something that says you can't do an actual science and Senior Science. Maybe that's just concurrently, though.
Nope i'm pretty sure you can do senior science in combination with a certain amount of other sciences, not sure how many though.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
ekoolish said:
Nope i'm pretty sure you can do senior science in combination with a certain amount of other sciences, not sure how many though.
you cant do 8 units of science is the rule i think?

HSC
ekoolish said:
Nup.
You can't do Earth and Environmental Sciences, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, or Agriculture with Senior Science, aka Sped Science.
Timothy.Siu said:
you cant do 8 units of science is the rule i think?
No such.

Cerry

HSC
^Actually, I think that rule might change in year 12. There's something involving senior science that changes, but it may be that you can drop chem/physics and pick up senior science instead. It's worth looking into.

Lyly

HSC
Cerry said:
^Actually, I think that rule might change in year 12. There's something involving senior science that changes, but it may be that you can drop chem/physics and pick up senior science instead. It's worth looking into.
Hey guys, just a clarification on the stuyding Senior Science plus Chem/Physics/Bio etc thing...

1. You can't do Senior Science in your Preliminary if you do any other science.

2. But you can pick it up in Year 12 (HSC), in conjunction with your other science/s.
(I'm pretty certain that's regardless of whether you drop a science).

3. BUT you cannot do more than 6 units of science, at any one time.

Hope that helped - let me know if you need more info. :)

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Lyly said:
3. BUT you cannot do more than 6 units of science, at any one time.
Clarification ;) - I believe you can do more than 6 units of science, however for the purposes of determining eligibility for the award of the HSC, only 6 units will be counted.

Lyly

HSC
ajdlinux said:
Clarification ;) - I believe you can do more than 6 units of science, however for the purposes of determining eligibility for the award of the HSC, only 6 units will be counted.
Thanks for that ;)

But yeah... no point in doing more than 6 units of science anyway :p

great

HSC
What I might do is to take both senior science and Math Ex2 and drop one if I need to later in life.
Or I can keep both till the end and get scaled for the one I did better.

I still don't feel like keeping chemistry.

My school is not a selective school, so none of the Australians are doing it. But many Chinese students, who arrived in Australia at the beginning of Yr11, would be doing it.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
great said:
What I might do is to take both senior science and Math Ex2 and drop one if I need to later in life.
Or I can keep both till the end and get scaled for the one I did better.

I still don't feel like keeping chemistry.

My school is not a selective school, so none of the Australians are doing it. But many Chinese students, who arrived in Australia at the beginning of Yr11, would be doing it.
Rofl why only the Chinese? Anyway yeah that would probably be a good idea to pick up both, but seriously if you're doing Maths ext2 Senior science should really be a breeze for you.

HSC
Cerry said:
I actually don't care.

I'm happy with not doing Senior Science, and with what I've done/am doing/will do.

great

HSC
ekoolish said:
Rofl why only the Chinese? Anyway yeah that would probably be a good idea to pick up both, but seriously if you're doing Maths ext2 Senior science should really be a breeze for you.
Probably because the Chinese people study a higher standard level of math at their country, they proberbly know all the math we learn in Australia already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)