I Failed Chemistry Exam :/ (1 Viewer)

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
Guys, I just received my Chemistry exam back, and I did not even pass! I tried so hard, and I can't believe that it was so bad!

Will this effect my ATAR, my ranking in Preliminary and anything!

My main goal was to rank first in it, and I have been crying for about an hour :/
Please Help!

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
1. There is no point what-so-ever in crying. Come 2 years time you will realize the HSC is nothing but a certificate and a way into furthur education (not that there are not other ways also) if you wish to pursue it.

Did many others fail? If so, don't really worry it was probably just a hard exam and just try and do better next time. If however most people passed, perhaps discuss with the teacher what your problems were/why you struggled.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
If you done comparitively well compared to the average I wouldn't worry.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Yo. I know how it feels to fail an exam like that, because I'm also in Prelims. Failing one test really has affected me in my others. But look at the weighting of your exam. Is it huge? Its stressful, but learn where you made your mistakes, and don't make them again. No it wont affect your atar.
I failed a maths exam, well, technically I just passed - I got 50%. the average was 35%. So when it came to my physics test I couldn't rid the train of thought that I was going to fail that too.
what I'm saying is , stop stressing over it. Because once you do, you're directing all of that energy into frustration and anger and you'll havE none remaining to study.

If you studied hard but you failed your exams, then you must not have studied thoroughly enough. Refer to the syllabus of your subjects and make sure you're covering all the content.

Other than that, have fun because that's what'll keep you going. Good luck ! :)

annagurl

HSC
N/A
NO. IT WILL NOT AFFECT YOUR ATAR.
Sorry, felt that I had to capitalise that to emphasise that it wont :p
Nothing counts until term four [when we start year 12], So don't worry.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
What kind of exam has an average of 10/40? You got trolled by the teachers me thinks.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
dont stress because it doesnt count towards your atar :)
go over your exam and see where you went wrong and get those question right or understand where you went wrong

its not the falling down that counts, its getting back up :)

annagurl

HSC
N/A
What kind of exam has an average of 10/40? You got trolled by the teachers me thinks.
Trolled hard.
I bet the whole thing consisted of trick questions or those weird word ones that don't make sense. Am I right?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Or the questions had nothing to do with the topics learnt. That was the first thing my 4U teacher said to me. Lol.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
If you make mistakes in Preliminary, I see it as a good thing. You can assess where you went wrong and try to fix it.

"Success comes after failure."

HSC
Guys, I just received my Chemistry exam back, and I did not even pass! I tried so hard, and I can't believe that it was so bad!

Will this effect my ATAR, my ranking in Preliminary and anything!

My main goal was to rank first in it, and I have been crying for about an hour :/
Please Help!
Wait... So people actually cry over prelim marks?

whathasthisworldcometo?

annagurl

HSC
N/A
If it makes you feel better, i'll tell y'all a funny story.
I had an english essay, yesterday, that was to be done as a test. 25% weighting. Task was common for standard and adv. combined.
People prepared essays before hand and memorised them.
I couldn't be bothered.
Blanked for 10 minutes of the 50 minutes exam.
Wrote 2 and a half pages, while some in standard wrote 4 pages.
I'll epically fail and be depressed too.

Do you feel better for yourself now? :]

HSC
In all seriousness though, OP just grasp the main ideas in chemistry (and other subjects, of course) so to be totally prepared for the HSC. For instance, garner a respectably strong understanding of stoichiometry, because it translates into the HSC course also.

Alkanes

HSC
Theres no point to be depressed. I was in the exact same situation as you, when i fail an exam i just feel soo depressed that i'm not motivated to study for other subjects. But through experience, i learned to move on.

animeiswild

HSC
I don't think you should be too concerned, prelim doesnt count towards ATAR and you're not the only one who failed. I would be okay with that... I just got my chem test back too, i just passed and was under the average by 4%, i was depressed for a sec but then again there were people who did worst than me so meh... Do you go to a selective? When we got our test scores back i saw alot of poeple crying too, its jsut this competitive environment that causes people to break down

glache

HSC
N/A
It's the first exam of your prelim year, which doesn't even count. If it were the last exam, I might have a hard think about whether I wanted to continue with the subject (assuming that the exam accurately reflected all the year's content and you'd been performing at a similar standard all year).

Just wait till you get to uni--there are some subjects where you need to pass them to pass the course, and if you don't, you fail (even if your combined average across all assessments was a pass mark). And then when you fail, if it's a core subject, the pain of repeating in winter/summer school or if you're unlucky it's not offered in those schools, held back a semester or even a year (even worst when it's a first year subject and being a second year, it's just painful to go through it with first years)--and of course, having a fail on your transcript and adding to your HECS debt to repeat the subject. THEN I would cry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)