I just solved this. Can you? (MX2 students should have a go) (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
And I'm feeling quite happy about it because... it was long and arduous. It's not that hard in hindsight, I figure most HSC Extension 2 Maths students would be able to do it - I think it'd a pretty good test of their integration mastery.

I don't think there's anything abstractly difficult in it - it's just knowing what to do and being smart about it all.

So here it is:

You may also need the results:

Have fun!

EDIT: Also part of why I like this particular integral: "It looks difficult".

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Haha fun question!

I like how it reduces (reduction formulae) and everything just cancels out...

Indeed, this is do-able by a good 4U student who won't get intimidated by all the 'strange' notation and symbols.

math man

HSC
N/A
yeh this is pretty decent, cambridge has a funner one of these type of cancellation reduction formula ones, a lot more challenging

seanieg89

HSC
If the Gamma function is used in the question, surely its definition as an integral can be assumed? From there its one substitution and a couple of lines...

annagurl

HSC
N/A
If the Gamma function is used in the question, surely its definition as an integral can be assumed? From there its one substitution and a couple of lines...
First Class Honours (Pure Mathematics) at USYD

:cold:

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Surprised an enthusiastic 2012er hasnt attempted this yet

math man

HSC
N/A
i did that originally, but then the question is too trivial, its a much funner exercise than a couple of lines doing it this way

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
As a uni student method, sure - if it works, then it works.

Umm, but for here I kinda gauged it towards HSC students - so I simplified it down a bit, because the original integral I got had identity functions and was most notably an improper integral - sort of things that MX2 students wouldn't have covered yet.

So yes, you could do it that way - but for the... intent of this thread, I'd say it's tantamount to cheating =P (because as math man said, apparently it becomes trivial if we do that substitution)

Plus there is a perfectly long and horrible HSC way to do it so... why not? Who knows, Board of Studies people might be watching and think "omg thats an awesome question. brb putting it in this year's question 8"

Surprised an enthusiastic 2012er hasnt attempted this yet
They're probably still gawking about how ugly the integral looks and going 'HOW THE #@%#@5 DOES THAT SIMPLIFY TO THAT"

math man

HSC
N/A
well if they were planning to put it in question 6 as of this year then you just ruined it for them by exposing it :(

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm guessing that this is a question that Shadowdude got from Uni.

The fact that he is so proud about it implies that he did it the long way without use of the (integration) definition of the Gamma Function (ie: Integration by parts), otherwise the proof would've been fairly straightforward and I doubt he would have been so proud...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
well if they were planning to put it in question 6 as of this year then you just ruined it for them by exposing it :(
Question 6?

But come to think of it, doing it the 'HSC way' might take a bit long. Or they'd have to at least split it into parts.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm guessing that this is a question that Shadowdude got from Uni.

The fact that he is so proud about it implies that he did it the long way without use of the (integration) definition of the Gamma Function (ie: Integration by parts), otherwise the proof would've been fairly straightforward and I doubt he would have been so proud...
Well, when I first saw the question saw the gamma thing as a constant and chucked it out the front intuitively.

But umm, yes it's from my stats homework.

And yes I did the long and horrible way.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
But come to think of it, doing it the 'HSC way' might take a bit long. Or they'd have to at least split it into parts.
HSC has multiple choice now, so instead of written response going up to Q8, it goes up to Q6.

And the 'HSC way' wasn't too long. Took me a page and a bit (but I have massive handwriting)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
HSC has multiple choice now, so instead of written response going up to Q8, it goes up to Q6.

And the 'HSC way' wasn't too long. Took me a page and a bit (but I have massive handwriting)
eww multiple choice

And... yeah I suppose you're right. Looking back on my scribbles - didn't take that long.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I got down to this but can't see what to do from here:

If only I could show that the fraction = 1 then I would have the answer, but I don't know if that equals to 1 lol.

EDIT: waitttttttttttttttttttttttttt

I know what to do now.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)