I like maths, will I enjoy actuarial studies? (1 Viewer)

lolcakes52

HSC
Okay, so I am in the class of 2012. I go to a pretty terrible school but I do extension 2 maths, extension 2 english and physics. I did the chemistry HSC at tafe and got 88, I came first in my class (That doesn't say much though). It was all of year 11 and 12 in 3 terms so I am relatively happy with my mark considering I didn't apply for special provisions, which I probably would have gotten. Out of all my subjects I enjoy maths the most, I don't know how to describe it. I do maths for fun when I am bored; when I am procrastinating, I do maths.

I am expecting an ATAR around 96, but it could be higher. I will probably get in the top bands for ext 1 and possibly ext 2 maths, I will probably get a band 5 for English advanced and I'm not sure about the other ones. I expect to go very well in physics, as it really is just applied maths. I hope I don't sound arrogant, I just want to give an impression of my academic abilities.

So here is my question, If I enjoy Maths with a passion, will I enjoy Actuarial studies?
The things that attract me to this are the low contact hours, mathematical content and the starting salaries. I would very much like to do a Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) at UNSW, majoring in actuarial studies, as it seems to have both maths and actuarial studies.

THIS ONE!

So does anyone know from experience whether or not Actuarial studies is enjoyable if one enjoys maths?

Thanks.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Haha i always thought you were in uni for some odd reason. Take that as a compliment.

And yeah i'm bumping this because i'm in a similar situation.

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
My cuz (who's in 4th year Comm (Actuary/Eco)) @ UNSW told me last Saturday: ''WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T DO ACTUARY!''
Can't remember his reasons but he was quite convincing.

bladeys

HSC
N/A
My cuz (who's in 4th year Comm (Actuary/Eco)) @ UNSW told me last Saturday: ''WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T DO ACTUARY!''
Can't remember his reasons but he was quite convincing.
So it was quite convincing... but you cant even remember his reason...makes a lot of sense buddy no wonder you were a student of concern

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
So it was quite convincing... but you cant even remember his reason...makes a lot of sense buddy no wonder you were a student of concern
Something equivalent to what he just said would be:

'I went to a really cool club the other day, but I forgot what the name of it was'.

Surely you have had a similar experience. What's that got to do with the fact that he was a student of concern? Even I was a student of concern when I was in Year 7 and 8.

bladeys

HSC
N/A
Something equivalent to what he just said would be:

'I went to a really cool club the other day, but I forgot what the name of it was'.

Surely you have had a similar experience. What's that got to do with the fact that he was a student of concern? Even I was a student of concern when I was in Year 7 and 8.
Sorry mate, Ive never been to a club and not remembered what the name of it was. Theres probably a better analogy out there

I bring it up because Im sure many students were a student of concern...I was..You admitted you were but flaunting it on a forum as Sir Sole does seems pretty stupid to me. Comes off as a bit of an attention seeker to me

jnney

lemon
HSC
Sorry mate, Ive never been to a club and not remembered what the name of it was. Theres probably a better analogy out there

I bring it up because Im sure many students were a student of concern...I was..You admitted you were but flaunting it on a forum as Sir Sole does seems pretty stupid to me. Comes off as a bit of an attention seeker to me
Wut?

Tazzz

HSC
i am doing a com/sci major in finance, financial eco and stats but i have done actl 1001 and know people who have done actl. i would say that just because u like maths doesnt necessarily mean u will like or be good at actl cause hsc maths is different from uni maths, i reckon if u enjoyed doing perms and coms/probability in 3u then u can tolerate actl. though someone with ur academic performance is suited to actl and i would recommend u to at least do actl1001, if u dont like it u can easily switch majors to something else.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
No. Actuarial studies isn't pure maths. In my opinion, learning about insurance is shit boring. I hated it so much.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Lolcakes, what kind of Maths do you like?

I have been in a similar situation. When it was my time to pick which degree, it was a bit of a dilemma. Actuarial vs. Advanced Maths.

However, I took into consideration the topics that I liked. I personally find Infinite Series fascinating. I also enjoy various topics such as Number Theory and especially Integral Calculus. Because of my preferences within Mathematics, I chose to do the Advanced Maths course by itself.

I have also heard about how poor Actuarial Studies can be. Many people think that a degree with an Actuarial Studies major will instantly guarantee a job with a starting salary of 60K+. However, this is something of the past, and people unfortunately get sucked in based on a perception that has gone obsolete years ago.

One of my friend's brother has a degree in Actuarial Studies. Where was he working? Not a bank, but at Woolworths. Eventually, he got a job to do with stocks (or at a bank doing something, I do not remember the specifics). HOWEVER, I do remember him telling me specifically that it was very difficult for him trying to find a job related to his degree.

So going back to my original point, it really depends on which topics in Mathematics you like. Unfortunately, the HSC does not have many topics related specifically to Statistics, so students don't have a proper opportunity to have a taste of it before doing a full blown course at University.

PS: I haven't regretted a day of picking Advanced Math.

lolcakes52

HSC
I did a geography assignment on population growth in year 10, it was the most interesting thing we ever did in geography. I love number theory and have spent innumerable days trying to, in vain, solve the collatz conjecture (Because I am so naive). Quantative risk, planning and optimization also interest me. I don't really know much about actuarial studies or any of the other commerce majors but I find the idea of doing a commerce/science appealing as it gives me job security and maths. If there is an alternative commerce major that sounds better or is more appealing to maths nerds then let me know.

manscux

HSC
respect for Sir r sole.... he has got the same aims as me

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

I have been in a similar situation. When it was my time to pick which degree, it was a bit of a dilemma. Actuarial vs. Advanced Maths.

However, I took into consideration the topics that I liked. I personally find Infinite Series fascinating. I also enjoy various topics such as Number Theory and especially Integral Calculus. Because of my preferences within Mathematics, I chose to do the Advanced Maths course by itself.

I have also heard about how poor Actuarial Studies can be. Many people think that a degree with an Actuarial Studies major will instantly guarantee a job with a starting salary of 60K+. However, this is something of the past, and people unfortunately get sucked in based on a perception that has gone obsolete years ago.

One of my friend's brother has a degree in Actuarial Studies. Where was he working? Not a bank, but at Woolworths. Eventually, he got a job to do with stocks (or at a bank doing something, I do not remember the specifics). HOWEVER, I do remember him telling me specifically that it was very difficult for him trying to find a job related to his degree.

So going back to my original point, it really depends on which topics in Mathematics you like. Unfortunately, the HSC does not have many topics related specifically to Statistics, so students don't have a proper opportunity to have a taste of it before doing a full blown course at University.

PS: I haven't regretted a day of picking Advanced Math.
Just about any grad who's employed by a bank can get 60K.

Actuarial is baby maths. Adv maths is A+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)