I like or am doing physics because...? (1 Viewer)

Raginsheep

HSC
Not exactally. What I was refering to was one of our assement blocks for physics involved an written report and a timeline on some scientific discovery. Basically, after having never done so in the past, the science department insisted on us using in-text Harvard style referencing.

I don't really care about alinging of the marks. Afterall, I also did 4u maths ;)

Ghost1788

HSC
Riviet said:
I've always had an interest in how simple things around us work. I chose physics because it appealed to me and I wanted to learn more about science. Physics is a subject that keeps me thinking, especially theories like relativity and the big bang. In my opinion the subject is very enlightening and I continue to adore it. :uhhuh:
yea what he said and i love studying science

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Raginsheep said:
I did it because:
a) I'm asian. I did 3maths, 3eng, phy, chem eco in year 11 also known as the Asian Five.
i whole heartedly agree --> theres a catchy saying in mandarin, which is: 数理化, meaning 3-4U Maths, Physics and Chemistry rolled into one catchy phrase <-- pretty much defines the HSC 'asian' subjects. LOL

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
i whole heartedly agree --> theres a catchy saying in mandarin, which is: 数理化, meaning 3-4U Maths, Physics and Chemistry rolled into one catchy phrase <-- pretty much defines the HSC 'asian' subjects. LOL
Bwuahahaha but isn't maths...just maths? I mean in China they don't they stuff like 3u or 4u...You just choose to be one of the arts students or sciences students...XP And anyway the maths that you do only differ in the second semester of the second last year of high school, last time I checked, even the maths textbook for the first semester of Senior Two (equivalent to Year 11) is mandatory :p

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Mountain.Dew said:
Ah yes... I too am aware of that phrase, those are all subjects that I'm doing, not suprisingly. :D

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Riviet said:
Ah yes... I too am aware of that phrase, those are all subjects that I'm doing, not suprisingly. :D
ahhh LOL

btw, riviet, do u know mandarin? or is it just that u can read chinese?

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
Not one of you liked physics??? :eek:

I liked it so much that now I'm about to enter my 2nd year of a degree in it.

LostAuzzie

HSC
I chose Physics because I enjoyed Science, same reason I picked Chemistry.
Now in UNI im taking subjects for both and planning on majoring in one of them.

Raginsheep

HSC
I like real physics. The HSC course is a social science course with a strong emphaises on physics...

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
physics blows my mind away-
i find most things hard to grasp :p
but all the same when i get my head around it, it's like WoAh!.
i chose it cause i need it 4 forensic science.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Mountain.Dew said:
btw, riviet, do u know mandarin? or is it just that u can read chinese?
I only know cantonese, which I can speak quite fluently and read.

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
Raginsheep said:
I like real physics. The HSC course is a social science course with a strong emphaises on physics...
I find the history and background of Physics just as interesting as the pure science itself.

Raginsheep

HSC
I'd rather not do a 7 marks question on the "benefits" of nuclear technology which essentially demands a political response....

toeknee

HSC
loL
i thought it was only our school that took a major disinterest in it
out of roughy 150 students in our year cohort
10 took up physics
of those ten three left and four others including myself considered leaving it
if anyone was ever interested in physics and how things worked and took the hsc course their interest would probably take a massive nose dive
its either a compulsory subject for engineering
or the whole scaling that keeps people interested in this gay subject.
loL

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
It's not a gay subject -_-

...But can't exactly say the same of my phys teacher :p Oh well. Got tired of even complaining now :S

acullen

Povo postgrad
HSC
toeknee said:
its either a compulsory subject for engineering
or the whole scaling that keeps people interested in this gay subject.
loL
Everyone has their likes and dislikes in life. I for one enjoyed the HSC Physics course (and continue to enjoy Physics at uni). How can you comment on the quality of the subject when you have only completed half of it? Most of the more interesting stuff came in the latter components of the course.

HSC
M-turkey said:
Thats pretty true for me too cept I enjoyed Maths. I guess I'm just a person that prefers factual answers. In pretty much all of Maths, Physics and Chemistry, there's either a right answer or a wrong answer. I like that.
When it comes to creative pieces in English, its completely upto the opinion of the teacher. Which I understand but didnt enjoy.
I love the subjects that either have a right or wrong answer!! At the end of last year, i chose to do biology, but once it started, i didnt like it, so now im changing to physics (i should be having my 1st physics lesson by the end of this week, or the start of next week). The physics teacher at my school is really good (i had him for science last year) and i also chose it because i thought it would be interesting. Good scaling is just a bonus.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Riviet said:
I only know cantonese, which I can speak quite fluently and read.
aaaaaahhhhh no mandarin eh? oh well, i dont understand cantonese either...except for the laaaaa at the end of sentences :p, like "lets go to the city laaaa", "im not too bad laaaaa" LOL

anyway, back on topic (so that i dont risk losing this post from a mod's delete command)

i did physics because i enjoyed it, and the stuff was interesting. plus, i had a really good physics teacher as well. i remember one time in yr 11 (same teacher for both yr 11 & 12) he deliberately dropped a beaker from his hand in mid-air on the hard wooden floor to demonstrate the property of elasticity - previously, he placed a blanket under where the beaker was dropped.

and that was only the tip of the iceberg ==> crazy + psyko teacher + physics = good physics teacher :p

Last edited:

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
Benny1103 said:
If you want to do real (mathematical) physics at high school/uni then move to Victoria.
although i havent been privy to VCE's physics course, i can prolly tell you from a gut feeling that benny1103 is prolly true. HSC physics is now more about "applied sciences", how it 'impacts society' or other crazy HUMANTITES-like questions. BAH its not what science should be!

but then again, that was the HSC, not uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)