I recently got my year 11 subjects and would like to get some advice (1 Viewer)

Dhwanit

HSC
So for year 11, I got the subjects English advanced, Maths extension, Chemistry, Physics, and economics. I really wanted to do engineering, and I have the option to still pick it, but it is only available in line 5, where I have Economics, which I wanted to do as well, but engineering was my number 1 priority. The problem is I was reluctant about the major project in year 12 because I do not have a good history with projects etc. So if anyone in year 11/12 has done one I am curious what other people have done in the past. As well as this, I am going to be changing chemistry to PDHPE, which I feel like I am better suited to do. Any advice would be great.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
It is good that you have some certainty in terms of changing from Chemistry to PDHPE because, as you have identified, it is important to consider your potential performance in each of those subjects.

Hopefully I'm not mistaken, but as far as I know, Engineering Studies does not include major projects. It is a subject that is rather more focused on reports.

Since there is a clash between Engineering Studies and Economics, it seems like you have no choice but to choose one of those subjects. From what you've mentioned, it appears that you would prefer taking Engineering Studies. Based on this, you should probably change your selection from Economics to Engineering Studies.

I hope this helps! :D

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
A lot of my friends did engineering studies this year hoping it would be extremely fun but they ended up resenting it because in their words, it took more effort than any other subject and it wasn't worth it. The subject seems more suitable to someone who has a great interest and determination to do it so if you do enjoy the thought of making projects or solving problems and don't really mind the effort required, then it seems optimal. Preliminary economics is not as challenging and for me, was a bludge at times, but it was fun nonetheless.

sab13562

HSC
I have not done engineering, but I really enjoy economics. It's an amazing subject and really teaches you how the world works.
What you can do, since you're in Year 11, is to enrol in economics for eg and if you like it stay in it. If not, then transfer to engineering studies and vice versa if you chose engineering studies first and didn't like it. Also, you don't need engineering studies to do engineering at uni, only maths. Choose the subject you are more passionate about as usually people tend to do better when studying the subjects they really enjoy.

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
So for year 11, I got the subjects English advanced, Maths extension, Chemistry, Physics, and economics. I really wanted to do engineering, and I have the option to still pick it, but it is only available in line 5, where I have Economics, which I wanted to do as well, but engineering was my number 1 priority. The problem is I was reluctant about the major project in year 12 because I do not have a good history with projects etc. So if anyone in year 11/12 has done one I am curious what other people have done in the past. As well as this, I am going to be changing chemistry to PDHPE, which I feel like I am better suited to do. Any advice would be great.
YOOO, your initial subjects are legit what I'm taking lol. Good choices indeed. Honestly, Chemistry scales much better than PDHPE and is (biased) a better future option if you're interested in Engineering. My opinion arises from the cohort (GENERALLY chem cohorts strive to do better than PDHPE, scales better, gains extra selection points for early entry if you do well, and relates well to Physics). If you still feel like you will come top 5-10 in Yr11 and 12, take PDHPE i guess, but chem will be a better option if you're still on the fence.

With Economics and Engineering, I choose Economics/Business Studies over Engineering Studies since I didn't want to establish my university goal in year 11 straight away lol. I mean, let's really think about this. Would you want to study Engineering for over 6 years? (2 in HS, 4 in Uni if you got in). I wanted to experience a wide range of subjects and options in High School so I took Business studies over Engineering. Imo, engineering probably would have been better, but the people I met in my other classes, and the classes I was placed into (different timetable lines, different classes) satisfied me so I guess it worked out in the end.

If you need more personalised advice, lmk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)