If you are in year 11, read this first. (1 Viewer)

frazzle777

HSC
Necros87 said:
hell no, 4u is much easier than englihs any day, well maths more often than not has one answer, english you could write that the pope was jewish and get full marks
This is so true :p Although I must admit 4U is pretty crazy. I much prefer 3U as it is less complicated.

karnoganguli

HSC
I'm getting 91% in 2u and 82% in 3u. What i don't get is if i do 4u next year then i cannot take the 2 unit exam. Therefore i do ext. 1 and ext. 2 only and that makes it 2 units. So in fact if i do ext.2 maths, i'm really completing 2 units in my hsc. Is that correct?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
The extension 2 course counts as 2 unit of your HSC unless you have already done the 2 unit maths HSC paper, where it will only count for 1 unit. So in essence you would be doing 3 units for your HSC if you do extension 1 and 2 maths for your HSC. However, when it comes down to the UAI calculation, the extension 1 maths course will count as 2 units instead of 1 unit if you sat for the extension 2 maths HSC exam, and extension 2 maths will count for 2 units.

karnoganguli

HSC
Thanks for the info... i'm doing the accelearted course so if i pick up 4u (alright i call it ext.2) then next year i'll be completing 3 units of maths. Right? Sorry if i'm being a pain.

Rax

Custom Me up Scotty
HSC
Hmm dont know how it works at your school, but In my school the accellerated people do mathematics (2unit) in one year. So they are doing 2 units for the HSC exam.

Then in the next year they do Ext I and Ext II, which in terms of raw marking is worth 4 units (but makes 2unit=0) so they are doing 4 units of maths. lol. I think

Its somethin like that
Either way you are doing the whole course eventually.

have fun

P

pLuvia

If you choose to do 3 unit maths in year 12:
2unit maths will be worth 2 units
3unit maths will be worth 1 unit

If you choose to do 4 unit maths in year 12:
2unit maths will be worth 0 units
3unit maths will be worth 2 units
4unit maths will be worth 2 units

Inzi

HSC
Hey guys,

I am currently yr 12 in 4 unit, this is a summary plus some of my own imput.

4 unit maths is a challenging course that if you stick with is very rewarding. It is a confidence booster, but requires a lot of work. Probably more than 50%. At my school (selective) there are about 50 kids doing 4 unit.
The 4 unit course is a challenge because it goes beyond the reasoning of any maths from yr 7 to 10 and either the 2 unit or 3 unit course. Unlike those where u learn based on known principles that u have learnt from 7 onwards, this teaches u new things that u need for 4 unit maths. Few things u should think about:

> U dont have to be a genius to do it. It is an intimidating course but so is any extension course that you choose.

> U have to love doing maths. This is not always the case but since it takes up so much of your time, the more u enjoy it the better you will do it at it and the longer you will persist with it.

> If you wish to do well, u dont need $100 tutoring a week. You dont even need any. A tutor is just a guide to helping you understand the maths. Once understood you have to do the work. Remember the tutor doesnt sit the exam, U DO!!

> U have to persist with the questions, especially the more difficult ones. Before going off for help really try your best and use all different avenues that you can think of. The more you persist with it and the more u understand about the maths and the more rewarding it can be. Dont think a question is too hard, its just that it requires more from you to get the right answer. The more you persist the more exposure you have to difficult questions and the more you will learn. THIS IS A BIG THING AND A REASON PEOPLE FAIL!!!! THEY ARE NOT PERSISTENT!!!

> U have to continuously work at maths. Maths is a practical subject and the more u practice the better you get. Understanding is not enough in 4 unit, it may be in lower classes but not 4 unit. This subject is not about what reguritating what u learnt its about understanding what you learnt and applying it to the question you are given. It is essential that you practice!!! complete your work everyday because remember you are doing the 2 unit, 3 unit and 4 unit course and therefore if you fall behind its very very difficult to catch up!! THIS is the case for 3 unit aswell

> You should be looking at around 60 - 70% in ur 3 unit exams as a minimum for 4 unit. But that is general. As has been pointed out before ask your teacher. They know best what you are capable of.

> If you are choosing this for scaling then u shouldnt do it. 4 unit maths is challenging but rewarding. Like any subject it scales up if u do well in it. If u get 40% its more likely to scale u down.

ABOUT THE TOPICS

Curve sketching - I cant say for sure because i havent covered it yet, but its an extension of 2 and 3 unit sketching. U do have to be very competent at 2 and 3 unit curve sketching and know the basic graphs as well as basic shifting rules

Conics - At first sight this seems like one of the harder topics because until now its unheard of. However as previously mentioned its just basic maths with an 'i' in it.

Polynomials - This is an extension of the 3 unit topic. It includes complex numbers and also extension of the complex numbers work.

Conics - The most exaggerated topic in terms of its difficulty. This topic is an extension of parametrics and is not the hardest thing you will see. This topic just seems hard at first but just requires extra practice, It is not as hard as people make out. In the hsc, there are some easy marks in this section with some basic 1, 2 and 3 mark questions. It is the last question that requires extra thinking and writing and it is this question that scares people thus the more practice of harder questions makes this easier!!!!!!!!

Integration - Personally my fav 4 unit topic. This is another topic thats an extension plus some further material on the 3 unit course. IT is another overrated topic and just again requires exposure and practice. This can also be some easy marks in the hsc since both hard and easy questions are asked.

Volumes - This topic requires better analytical skills and u to think more. The integration is 4 unit and is one of the reasons its a 4 unit topic. However this topic becomes easier with exposure. It requires practice to understand. Dont be baffled by the theory.

Mechanics - Is a further extension of 2 and 3 unit topics in a whole new field. Circular motion and resisted motion are the topics covered and are not that difficult to follow. Physics people will enjoy this topic because in some parts helps them understand physics better but it doesnt require physics to do. As my teacher says its only 2% physics 98% maths.

Harder 3 unit - This topic speaks for itself. However this topic requires an in depth understanding of the 3 unit work. It opitimises the 4 unit course as it aims to check ur understanding and application of the course and not just reguritation. The more questions u do here the more it helps ur 3 unit work and the more rewarding it is.

Well thats what i have to say... Hope it helped. And remember the HSC test is just a check of ur understanding and application. Its not a trick. The 4 unit course is about practice and exposure.
My moto sums this up.
"If you dont practice you dont deserve to dream"
Good Luck!!

SoulSearcher

HSC
Inzi said:
Conics - At first sight this seems like one of the harder topics because until now its unheard of. However as previously mentioned its just basic maths with an 'i' in it.

Polynomials - This is an extension of the 3 unit topic. It includes complex numbers and also extension of the complex numbers work.

Conics - The most exaggerated topic in terms of its difficulty. This topic is an extension of parametrics and is not the hardest thing you will see. This topic just seems hard at first but just requires extra practice, It is not as hard as people make out. In the hsc, there are some easy marks in this section with some basic 1, 2 and 3 mark questions. It is the last question that requires extra thinking and writing and it is this question that scares people thus the more practice of harder questions makes this easier!!!!!!!!
I think you meant complex numbers for the first paragraph.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I don't know why alot of people say integration is their favourite topic, it's certainly mine, probably because it's one of the more straight forward topics. :p

*emi*

HSC
Hmmm i think reading this whole thread scared me off doing 4u maths hahaha!!!!!
I'm going fairly well in 3u this year, coming 3rd in my year.
However - i went to a selective school from 7-10 (a pretty average one, caringbah high school if anyone knows it) and i did alright in maths, got up to 7th out of 150 once, but when i left was around 15th, so that would be my ranking there and i doubt i would have been encouraged to do 4u since there are lots of people better than me at maths. But at my new school (st vincents college) is all girls, so i'm going better at maths since less competition.
Also- i dont LOVE maths, sure i get satifaction out of doing well (and i love sketching graphs :p) and i love getting something that other people dont HAHAHA
But still, not sure if 4u is too hard for me...
such a tricky decision!!!

-Em xx

Riviet

HSC
N/A
*emi* said:
However - i went to a selective school from 7-10 (a pretty average one, caringbah high school if anyone knows it) and i did alright in maths, got up to 7th out of 150 once, but when i left was around 15th, so that would be my ranking there and i doubt i would have been encouraged to do 4u since there are lots of people better than me at maths. But at my new school (st vincents college) is all girls, so i'm going better at maths since less competition.
Also- i dont LOVE maths, sure i get satifaction out of doing well (and i love sketching graphs :p) and i love getting something that other people dont HAHAHA

-Em xx
You should consider it, it can be very rewarding if you put in the effort.

*emi*

HSC
i have to decide between history ext (i do modern history), maths ext 2, or english ext 1 (or maybe even ext 2?!?! who knows!!)
wish there was economics xt, i'd def be doing that
Also - anyone got any idea about actuarial studies and if you need to do 4u to do it??

-em xx

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
*emi* said:
Blah, graphs.
Do 4 unit. If you don't like it, drop it. It's better to try, as opposed to wondering what could've been.
Sounds corny, but true. :)

P

pLuvia

*emi* said:
i have to decide between history ext (i do modern history), maths ext 2, or english ext 1 (or maybe even ext 2?!?! who knows!!)
wish there was economics xt, i'd def be doing that
Also - anyone got any idea about actuarial studies and if you need to do 4u to do it??

-em xx
Doubt it, you probably just need Maths 2u as an assumed knowledge

SoulSearcher

HSC
Extension 2 maths is recommended for actuarial studies, however, extension 1 maths is assumed knowledge for actuarial studies at Macqurie University, and extension 2 maths is assumed knowledge for the University of NSW Co-op scholarships.

*emi*

HSC
Awesome thanks heaps everyone... haha this thing is getting nearly as addictive as myspace. Or msn. Grrr damn stupid distractions when you are trying to study...

-Em xx

*emi*

HSC
you really do know everything soulsearcher.. you keep appearing in all the threads i am posting in (though it was you who have me the links to these threads.. HAHAHA)
*cries* i want to do acturial studies at UNSW as part of bachelor of commerce.. except i dont know how well i'll go in 4u :S

-em xx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)