If you are in year 11, read this first. (1 Viewer)

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
^ I think you still have to do English Advanced if you're doing 4u english and you should try both first then drop a bit later if you cant handle it.

a-man-der

HSC
hey guys im deciding whether or not to do ext. 2 maths as well. im getting crap marks in 2u but stil remaining in top 7 (i think it was 79%) but im doing well at ext. 1 maths with 86% and coming 1st but if i do ext. 2 ill b the only one from my school and it was previously metioned that assessments are pointless? so now im really confused about what to do but i do love maths..woo go maths!

Raginsheep

HSC
If your the only one doing ext2 maths at your school it just means that your moderated mark, or the one the school is supposed gives you is equal to your exam mark.

jeniii

HSC
what if u got a dumb and really slow but determined learner and gave her a tutor

is my skool the only one who hanst chosen subjects for year 12?

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
yes most likely.

with a tutor you could probably do it

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
jeniii said:
what if u got a dumb and really slow but determined learner and gave her a tutor

is my skool the only one who hanst chosen subjects for year 12?
that dumb slow learner would be able to get 50 - 70 percent with enough hard work and money spent on tutoring.

But without a tutor, a slow person would have no chance at doing that well.

*emi*

HSC
hey guys who are doing/done 4u...
i've decided to go with 4u maths for hsc
but i couldnt refuse my teachers who wanted me to do history ext AND english ext as well
so i'm doing 13 units including 4u maths
am i taking on WAY too much work????
i'll be doing
4u maths
3u english
modern history
history ext
economics
1u religion

too much???

Riviet

HSC
N/A
*emi*: probably, but I reckon you should stick with 13 for at least a week and see how you cope. If you are struggling with the workload, it might be in your interests to drop down to 11 or 12 units.

karnoganguli

HSC
like riviet said, see how u cope with the workload emi. If u can cope i suggest u see how u go during the first set of assessment tasks. U can drop a subject any time of the year (as long as you have ten units).

*emi*

HSC
drop what though???
i want to do all the subjects =(
plus by doing heaps of extensions (and if you go well in them) you get good marks...

karnoganguli

HSC
think of the course u want to do and do the subjects that'll help get u in. Also, emi, if you do well in any subject, u get good marks... I would personall drop religion (unless u have to do it, then just use it as free periods)...

If you are referring to what u'll drop after assessment task 1 then drop the subject ur doing worse in (position wise preferably)... if ur getting the marks u want then y drop?

tazz-me-razz

HSC
hey guys, i'm also looking for an advise.
currently i'm doing adv eng, bio, chem, ancient, modern, maths 2u and maths 3u. in year 10 i have also done my Russian hsc and got 82 - which is quite low as i really, really want to do dentistry and it asks for a best uai...
my 3u maths teacher said that i should really consider doing 4u maths. i don't know my prelim marks yet, but i found both tests rather easy - i've finished about 30 minutes earlier and had time to recheck my work - i know it's not an indication of the quality, but i kept getting rather good marks througout the year, in term 2 i came first in 3u.

english is my weakness - it is my second language. i'm ukrainian and came to australia 3 years ago. although my marks throught the year were rather good (mostly 13/15s), i had some sort of a panic attack at the actual prelims. i did not understant the poem, article - could not find techniques - so i guess i failed.
i want to find an enlgish tutor and try my best at english, but i think my hsc mark will probably not something to be pround of....BUT i really wanna be a dentist, so i want to do as best as i can in other subjects and i don't want to take a risk of getting a bad mark in one of them that qould futher affect my uai. so i want to do at least 12 units.

but i also love maths, but in case if i find 4u maths too hard and want to drop, as i said, i want to have at least 12 units (it would 13 as i definitely want to keep up with 3u maths)...would you recommend me doing 14 units?

thanks in advance

funnyperson1000

Kelly Clarkson is Hot! ^^
HSC
Have a go at 4U. At least for term 4. If you're doing well in 3U then it should be no prob. You don't have to be a genius to do 4U like everyone thinks. 50% in 4U HSC will generally get you 80+.

tazz-me-razz

HSC
but should i also try keeping 14 units in year 12? has anyone done 14 units in year 12?

thanks

(i'm less then an hour away to start year 12...wish me luck :p)

funnyperson1000

Kelly Clarkson is Hot! ^^
HSC
Depends how well you do in 4 unit. If you think you're doing ok after a term or two, might as well drop your weakest subject to make it 12 units. If you don't think you're doing well, you're probably better off focusing on 11 or 12 units. I think 14 is too much.

Good Luck :p

Raginsheep

HSC
funnyperson1000 said:
Have a go at 4U. At least for term 4. If you're doing well in 3U then it should be no prob. You don't have to be a genius to do 4U like everyone thinks. 50% in 4U HSC will generally get you 80+.
If everyone is capable of getting 50%, then it won't distinguish you from your peers; which is what you need to do to get a good UAI; no?

Having said that, to tazz-me-razz, if you're finding 3u maths easy then definately give 4u ago. If you find it hard then you can drop it later on just as long as you have 10units remaining.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
I know I'm far from doing my trials cause I've just started the work for Yr 12 but I was wondering...

What raw mark for a past 4 Unit paper would you be looking for to make it worth doing 4 Unit instead of maybe getting a really good mark such as 95 scaled marks in 2 Unit?

Would it be hard getting 95 in 2 Unit? So far, 2 Unit seems a bit easy and if I put in the time & effort, it seems like a more possible thing to achieve.

flamhorn

HSC
~shinigami~ said:
I know I'm far from doing my trials cause I've just started the work for Yr 12 but I was wondering...

What raw mark for a past 4 Unit paper would you be looking for to make it worth doing 4 Unit instead of maybe getting a really good mark such as 95 scaled marks in 2 Unit?

Would it be hard getting 95 in 2 Unit? So far, 2 Unit seems a bit easy and if I put in the time & effort, it seems like a more possible thing to achieve.
I was thinking that too. For my prelim, I got 94 in 2 Unit and 40(/50..haha) for Ext 1. I think I'm only around average out of my cohorts who are planning to continue 4U next year. Would it be more worthwhile, UAI-wise, to drop 4u and focus on getting a high 2u mark? Or stick around and get an average 4u mark?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)