• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Important - Please Read (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jhakka

Justin says Evan won't get far. He has had this conversation many times before.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
illodous said:
Matt looks at Evan with puppy-dog eyes. Won't you please beg Justin for his MW for Diana and I? :D
Welll alright hehe Justin please, please show us your MW, please? We all think you're like the greatest guy and everything you write is just literary genius and it would also be cathartic and constructive for you. Not to mention the fact that Evan will go all Kill Bill on you if you don't
Evan has read most of them and it has really helped his understanding actually and there were a few that he really liked

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
kami said:
Evan is aghast:"But you used protection for the chalice, didn't you? You kept it safe from all the tiny people using Four Seasons,didn't you? DIDN'T YOU?!
Marcus' chalice wasn't molested, Evan.

Crazy Horse

HSC
Diana thinks Justin seems to be the most strong willed of all the senior IPR members - she respects this. Even though she wants to read his major work she will be slighty disappointed if he gives in.......or is she going crazy??

J

jhakka

Haha. Justin is just a grouch. :p

He also thinks that no amount of nagging will make him give in. If he chooses to let people see it, it will be of his own accord.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
Marcus wonders if Evan has read Marcus' Major Work, and his thoughts about it.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Evan has read Marcus' work and it is his 3rd favourite of them all, Evan will change to first to give his thoughts( sorry if they seem overly patronizing or anything)
I feel that most works are usually either plot driven or character driven which is something Marcus has to an extent avoided as his seems driven by the philosophy and culture/environment in the piece - it was almost like watching an exciting documentary special. This means you have been able to voice your opinions very directly with the work without it seeming overly contrived. I would say this style is influenced heavily by your knowledge of ancient myth as well as overtones of Tolkien. I also feel that you have several of the same mis-steps Tolkien made in a few of his works for instance when Tolkien set up his story hecreated his country and filled in details (language,culture) but sometimes he stated these developments without explaining the people in a proper fashion and I feel this is what you have done as it felt as I was reading that you were stating cultural and philosophical points but that little was revealed about your characters, instead their lifestyle. That said, I also think the kind of work you performed was light years beyond the way many contempary authors perform in this type of fantasy(Shadowkings being an example of a book that employed similar techniques but nowhere near as well and I also think this story would fit excellently into a full novel format. Overall if I were a marker I would have given it 47 or around that mark.
Back to third now
Evan hopes this makes sense as Evan gets lost in Lala land when he writes.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
Marcus agrees that characters were more archetypal than real, in his major work, and that the focus was more set upon landscape, culture and philosophy, than upon interpersonal relationships. Marcus agrees that this in some ways detracts from the immediacy of the work, and is it's major flaw. He thanks Evan for his critique, and his mark - which is indeed higher than what the EE2 markers gave him - 42.

EDIT: 44

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Evan asks for some advice - someone on another thread has randomly PM'd him for help with TAFE stuff and also wants to put him on MSN, what should Evan do about the MSN thing as he wants to be helpful...but he just doesn't understand why someone would put him in his contact book for that

J

jhakka

Justin doesn't add many people from the net to his MSN list (IPR excepted). He keeps his MSN private.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
kami said:
Evan asks for some advice - someone on another thread has randomly PM'd him for help with TAFE stuff and also wants to put him on MSN, what should Evan do about the MSN thing as he wants to be helpful...but he just doesn't understand why someone would put him in his contact book for that
Marcus suggests that Evan continue to use Personal Messaging, and explain to the individual why Evan thinks it is more relevant. On the other hand, MSN allows for easier conversation, and is thus less frustrating. Evan could simply add the person, talk to them, and them delete them, once he is finished.

Crazy Horse

HSC
Diana thinks Marcus' mark is good. She would like to know if he was happy or disappointed with the result?

Diana also agrees with Justin about MSN.

illodous

Angels...
HSC
But that is what Matt liked about Marcus's work. And considering the word constraints, it is well done - though Matt understands about the interpersonal relationships.

EDIT: and 42 is not exactly a bad mark. BOS don't know jack :)

Last edited:

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
Alwayz Diana said:
Diana thinks Marcus' mark is good. She would like to know if he was happy or disappointed with the result?
Marcus knew that what he had written was not what the markers wanted. The markers have a tendency to favour fragmented, intellectualised, despairing, post-modern works. Marcus was thus only slightly disappointed, but he knows that it will not stop him from continuing to write.

Crazy Horse

HSC
goldendawn said:
Marcus knew that what he had written was not what the markers wanted. The markers have a tendency to favour fragmented, intellectualised, despairing, post-modern works. Marcus was thus only slightly disappointed, but he knows that it will not stop him from continuing to write.
Diana is also aware of this and believes that Marcus has talent. Diana also recalls Marcus stating that he wasnt particularly nice to postmodernism in his reflection statement......she wonders why because she always assumed that Marcus strongly agreed with post-modernism or is she completely wrong......

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
Alwayz Diana said:
Diana is also aware of this and believes that Marcus has talent. Diana also recalls Marcus stating that he wasnt particularly nice to postmodernism in his reflection statement......she wonders why because she always assumed that Marcus strongly agreed with post-modernism or is she completely wrong......

Diana is way, way off. Marcus seriously dislikes postmodernism. Postmodernism is a reactionary movement, and is purely deconstructive. It preaches that everyone is different, that no-one can truly understand anyone else, and that there is no universal truth. Marcus finds this a complete wank (excuse the language). Marcus believes that postmodernism defeats itself in the process of definition: by stating that no absolute exists, it is applying an absolute value. It is important to understand that there are things in this world which are both mutable, and absolute - but on a universal level, all life is unified by its beingness. For us to have terms to describe both the mutable and the absolute means that the potential for both exist - but then if you were to push further beyond that duality, you will find the unity of existence - you will find that though the universe is in a state of constant change, these changes are rythmical - like the alchemical process, and beyond that, you will find all life is always one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)