IMPORTANT - Youth Decide... (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey everyone...

Youth Decide is a nationwide vote on climate change for young people. You can vote here:

Youth Decide - Home

Why a national youth vote on climate change?

Youth Decide '09 is a national youth vote on climate change. We're giving Australia's 4.8 million young people the chance to vote on what kind of world we want to inherit.

Australia's young people can be a voice for their generation: both here in Australia and for those poor countries and communities around the world who will be most affected by climate change. Learn more.

A united youth voice will help compel the Australian government to lead the way in securing a strong global agreement.

The above scenarios are based on research conducted by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change the international body of the world's leading climate scientists, as well as modelling commissioned by the Australian and UK Governments.

Youth Decide has worked with leading Australian Climate Scientists to best summarise each likely scenario for the various emission reduction targets governments are proposing. KPMG performed a diagnostic over the Youth Decide online voting application and post vote process to identify issues over the integrity and completeness of voting data.
EDIT: I posted this to make people aware of it, so that those who are interested can do something further. I know it's biased but no-one's forcing you to vote.

Last edited:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
If people cared about climate change they would read science or engineering and attempt to change a little bit of the world with innovation.

But, hey, can do my bit with three clicks of the mouse.

HSC
N/A
If people cared about climate change they would read science or engineering and attempt to change a little bit of the world with innovation.

But, hey, can do my bit with three clicks of the mouse.
the power of a human mind is unrivalled, jb_nc

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
For the record, that was a nonsensical post.</SPAN> Who were you referring to?
I was referring to you. Ironically you seem to prove my statement with your muddled remark about the syntax of my language (which is fine).

Basically we don't know what the future will be like, and no scientist would claim to do so with significant certainty under the current state of our climate science. However, it is understandable and only rational to hedge our bets and 'prepare for the worst', however this boat has long since past, and we are currently in need of proper, well thought out policy (i.e how about reducing income tax and installing a carbon tax) on how to hedge or bets. We do not need another 'awareness' quasi- survey that people like yourself seem so infatuated by.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Who cares what Australia does, we have very little impact on whats going to happen anyway. We could all start living in mud huts and completely do away with cars and modern technology, we wouldnt even reduce global carbon emissions by 1%, it would be completely unnoticeable.

Likewise we could each own 20 large 4wd and run them non stop for a year, we still wouldnt even equal americas carbon emissions per day. What Australia decides to do will have very little impact on the end result, I saw we tentatively support other countries to reduce their emissions, but plan as if they wont.

jb_nc

Google &quot;9-11&quot; and &quot;truth&quot;
HSC
N/A
Who cares what Australia does, we have very little impact on whats going to happen anyway. We could all start living in mud huts and completely do away with cars and modern technology, we wouldnt even reduce global carbon emissions by 1%, it would be completely unnoticeable.

Likewise we could each own 20 large 4wd and run them non stop for a year, we still wouldnt even equal americas carbon emissions per day. What Australia decides to do will have very little impact on the end result, I saw we tentatively support other countries to reduce their emissions, but plan as if they wont.
your an idiot

russs

yeeeee
HSC
That site is moronic. It is biased to the max.

How about some real solutions, such investment into:

- Nuclear Technology: Some ribbons being cut on new nuclear power plant launches, mining and research
- High-capacity batteries; Electric cars which will run off clean nuclear energy.
- Bio-degradable material development: so we can fully phase out plastic bags.
- Energy-efficient desalination
- Import some foreign knowledge from France and other countries who are a bit more up-to-date.

Wait, no, that's hard and real work. Let's complain instead, use some smart words like "green initiatives", throw some money around to print leaflets and brochures / make websites to raise awareness, and complain again.

Last edited:
HSC
I was referring to you. Ironically you seem to prove my statement with your muddled remark about the syntax of my language (which is fine).

Basically we don't know what the future will be like, and no scientist would claim to do so with significant certainty under the current state of our climate science. However, it is understandable and only rational to hedge our bets and 'prepare for the worst', however this boat has long since past, and we are currently in need of proper, well thought out policy (i.e how about reducing income tax and installing a carbon tax) on how to hedge or bets. We do not need another 'awareness' quasi- survey that people like yourself seem so infatuated by.
It's not simply an 'awareness' survey. Which you would know if you had actually read it.

Tangent

HSC
Well thats a pretty retarded voting system. They pretty much shit all over the other 2 options, paint a world gone way bad, put a picture of polution, dead fishies, and shit, then put recreation, happy little windmills etc in the last one, with all this about 2 BILLION PEOPLE not dieing.

Oh i wonder which option kids will be guilted into picking.
Yeah, it is bias.

six demon bag

HSC
Yeah I agree, the site dosen't really do a lot. whoonearthcares.com is a good one for climate change - tells you things you can actually do to reduce emissions and tells you how much they'd be reduced by. But I haven't had a thourough look at the other site yet, so i might've missed something.

murphyad

HSC
Yeah, it is bias.
No question, but is it justified bias?

It's not as though they just poof the numbers out of nowhere; the site does source it's information regardless of whether one thinks it is true or not.

However the question of 'bias' then leads to a debate about the legitimacy of scientific climate change orthodoxy which looks to be beyond the scope of this thread.

Thus if we disregard this debate and assume that AGW is in fact true, then it is foolish to suggest that the worlds portrayed on the website would not occur; there is no debate about that. Therefore within this frame of reference the site is perfectly legitimate and so it follows that it could only be biased if one considers the prevailing scientific opinion regarding AGW to be 'biased'.

Regarding the question of 'activism', the site never claims to turn voters into activists. Its simply a chance for the youth to register their opinion, and I would assume that the eventual results might be used for lobbying or some other such thing. I think that perhaps a better summation would be that the site won't promote activism or make people into environmentalists, but the results of the vote will reflect who is an activist (or at least concerned) and who isn't.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
I'm sorry but even as a climate change advocate I think it's such a wank.

A total rort. My Food Not Bombs group helped out yesterday at the Lonnie Uni when they were getting people to sign up. They loved us cos we were just like "free food!" and they came running over and then the climate change guys forced flyers into their hand.

It weirds me out the way in which people avoid things that are for free. One guy was like "No, I'm on my way to buy some". Then he goes "got any salad rolls?"

Fucking twat.

But yeah, youth decide thing is so not credible. If I was in the senate I wouldn't take any notice of it.

murphyad

HSC
I'm sorry but even as a climate change advocate I think it's such a wank.
I have to say I do kind of agree with you, not because of the science it uses, but mainly because the survey itself doesn't really ask anything that's directly relevant to youth attitudes on climate change. I mean, they could've had proper questions on the subject, but instead chose to go with one more like 'do you want the world to end, or not?' It was a bit of a loaded question.

But still, perhaps being able to vote on something pertaining to the subject is better than nothing at all.

Last edited:

yoddle

is cool
HSC
e. I mean, they could've had proper questions on the subject, but instead chose to go with one more like 'do you want the world to end, or not?' It was a bit of a loaded question.

But still, perhaps being able to vote on something pertaining to the subject is better than nothing at all.
Yeah that's exactly what I was talking about. It was such a cringe.

I could come up with alternatives but my brain is fried and I don't have a concentration span.

Occupying Parliament House? Burning it down? Statement and a half.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)