In an exam, can you write in dot points in an essay? (1 Viewer)

HSC
If I'm running out of time in an essay question, can i write in dot point form? Will i loose any marks if i get my facts right?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
In prelim, you may be able to get away with it, depending on what subject, and the marking methods of your school. In HSC, no. Especially, not in English.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
In prelim, you may be able to get away with it, depending on what subject, and the marking methods of your school. In HSC, no. Especially, not in English.
You can do it in the HSC but you probably won't get full marks for it - however it will be marked on its merits within the entire essay.

If you for instance are writing one last paragraph in point form you might still be able to get around 22/25 assuming that the rest of the essay was 25/25 quality but if you write about half the essay in dot points you will get a lot less and an entire essay in dot points probably won't pass.

Markers mark everything regardless of the form in which it is written but there are times when full marks aren't possible.

It actually will depend on the quality of the dots points and how they continue your argument e.g. in the Histories if your dots are only to do with events but not interpretations you won't get as many marks as you would if you included some of the interpretations that you would have written in the full response.

mioumiou

HSC
you can do it in the hsc but you probably won't get full marks for it - however it will be marked on its merits within the entire essay.

If you for instance are writing one last paragraph in point form you might still be able to get around 22/25 assuming that the rest of the essay was 25/25 quality but if you write about half the essay in dot points you will get a lot less and an entire essay in dot points probably won't pass.

Markers mark everything regardless of the form in which it is written but there are times when full marks aren't possible.

It actually will depend on the quality of the dots points and how they continue your argument e.g. In the histories if your dots are only to do with events but not interpretations you won't get as many marks as you would if you included some of the interpretations that you would have written in the full response.
+1

bbychocoholic

HSC
my friend tried this in our last assessment for belonging and related text in english cos she ran out of time (we all did). our teacher said she had some really good points in those dot points but she would've gotten the marks for it only if she had written it out in full sentences and finished.

so you might get some marks if you're dot points are really good ideas and notes or whatever about your topic.

FTW

HSC
I have done it in a few subjects and I think it depends on the teacher, however I think if you have relevant points there, it should be marked.

I wouldn't use this in an essay particularly but maybe in an "extended response"

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hmm. I thought dot-points in any type of essay was a taboo.

Its good to read about all the advice and experience here.
Dot points are not to be encouraged but, if the choice is leave out important points or put them in dot points right at the end of the essay then my advice is that they will be marked on their merits at the HSC (NB your school may choose to ignore them and that is their right). I advise to avoid them if possible and if you really are stuck for time keep them to a minimum.

philphie

Banned
HSC
do it for your music aural. is that you samm?

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
You can write dotpoints in the science questions that are at least 5 marks. These are sort of essay questions as you have to write at least 2 pages for the 7 mark question in the option.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
You can write dotpoints in the science questions that are at least 5 marks. These are sort of essay questions as you have to write at least 2 pages for the 7 mark question in the option.
no

lil-chilean

HSC
i think you can only do it if your really fucked .they might give you a few marks but not enough to pass that question.

leaving it blank shows that you don't know what your on about and that u haven't put in any effort.
dot points will show that you have run out of time but you know what your on about

minty388

HSC
I agree with the above... if you are running short of time, dot point lots of responses, but make them coherent and in full sentences

I started my extended response in prelim legal studies final exam with 15 mins to go. I dot pointed the hell out of it and still got 9 out of 13 :D

If you know what you are talking about, it will be evident

NoFaceValue

HSC
Hate to nparaphrase again, but..

If you're seriously running low on time, and you physically can't write enough in time, dot points may be your best bet.

My English teacher told me this "If you're desperately running out of time, jot down what you meant in point form. You won't get full marks, but you'll get something"

lubeet520

HSC
my teacher told me dot-point spam should be a last resort :)

obviously try to write a proper essay in the given time, but always be looking at the lock to ensure you have some time left to adequately dot-point spam

e.g. decide whether u need to do so in the last 5 or so minutes

mirakon

nigga
HSC
If I'm running out of time in an essay question, can i write in dot point form? Will i loose any marks if i get my facts right?
Dot points are actually recommended in phys and chem but not in humanities subjects.

Hope I helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)