In your opinion what is the most important subject? (1 Viewer)

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
English is important:

BOS said:
The importance of English in the curriculum is a recognition of its role as the national language and increasingly as the language of international communication. Proficiency in English enables students to take their place as confident, articulate communicators, critical and imaginative thinkers and active participants in society.

The study of English enables students to recognise and use a diversity of approaches and texts to meet the growing array of literacy demands, including higher-order social, aesthetic and cultural literacy. This study is designed to promote a sound knowledge of the structure and function of the English language and to develop effective English communication skills*. The English Stage 6 courses develop in students an understanding of literary expression and nurture an appreciation of aesthetic values. Through reading, writing, listening, speaking, viewing and representing experience, ideas and values, students are encouraged to adopt a critical approach to all texts and to distinguish the qualities of texts. Students also develop English language skills to support their study at Stage 6 and beyond.

The study of English enables students to make sense of, and to enrich, their lives in personal, social and professional situations and to deal effectively with change. Students develop a strong sense of themselves as autonomous, reflective and creative learners. The English Stage 6 syllabus is designed to develop in students the faculty to perceive and understand their world from a variety of perspectives, and it enables them to appreciate the richness of Australia’s cultural diversity.
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/english_syl.pdf

foram said:
standard english scales badly. It is also not available at a number of school because its scales soo badly.
Man you are seriously diluted, if you honestly believe that. Standard English and Advanced English SCALE THE SAME!!! And just because a school doesn't offer it doesn't mean that it is because of bad scaling. A lot of schools don't offer all the courses even high scaling ones because of lack of interest of whatever! Next time you make a statement like that, maybe you should actually provide evidence to prove your statement, cause from now on thats the only time I would ever believe anything that you say.

amiee lee

HSC
michael1990 said:
I can understand Legal Studies.

But why biology?
i mean nobody cares if their kids are going to have blue eyes instead of brown.
Biology is not just about the colour of people's eyes. It's also about your health. Ive been a fequent patient to the hospital so i guess im taking biology because i want to learn more about diseases and the causes of cancer to help other kids and teenagers, mabey even adults.

I can see why its not an important subject for life to most people. But i think ill need it in the future.

michael1990

HSC
Forbidden. said:
English Advanced.
Why just english advanced?

What is that based on?

are you stating people doing standard english don't learn the same skills?

If you so you're sadly mistaken.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
michael1990 said:
Why just english advanced?

What is that based on?

are you stating people doing standard english don't learn the same skills?

If you so you're sadly mistaken.
I agree with you. I think Standard English is more important than Advanced English. Standard English focuses on more basics and builds its way up. By doing so, people get to appreciate English more (hopefully) and make the basics more adamant.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Amused said:
maths. you use it everywhere.
That was my brother's argument when I asked him "What is the most important subject?". :)

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
That was my brother's argument when I asked him "What is the most important subject?". :)
your brother is my hero.

4U Math is much more important than english because it scales better and will therefore contribute more and better than english to your uai.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I asked/argued with my english teacher last week of term. He said the most important subject is english and i majorly dissagreed. I was like, we could communicate in any of the 5,000 languages! And i was like, math is one language and there is no other language like it! Do you reckon you would get paid without maths, NO!

It was funny because we kinda challanged him (kinda being the operative word) to not use maths for a lession and he was like "The amount of metaphors in this poem is...ah... ALOT", i totally lol'd.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
kurt.physics said:
I asked/argued with my english teacher last week of term. He said the most important subject is english and i majorly dissagreed. I was like, we could communicate in any of the 5,000 languages! And i was like, math is one language and there is no other language like it! Do you reckon you would get paid without maths, NO!

It was funny because we kinda challanged him (kinda being the operative word) to not use maths for a lession and he was like "The amount of metaphors in this poem is...ah... ALOT", i totally lol'd.
Lol, i want to challenge my teachers now too. :D

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Yeh, but without maths, we wouldn't have any technology, no computers, cars, iPods, DVD players, TVs, schools, textbooks, houses, kitchens and the list goes on.

We would still be apes if it wasn't for mathematics!!!

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Actually, maybe physics is the msot important subject.

I challenge anybody to live without physics for a day!

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
foram said:
Actually, maybe physics is the msot important subject.

I challenge anybody to live without physics for a day!
Yeh, Yeh, what would it be like without physics? It would be crazy, not understanding what gravity was, we would be like so st-u-pard.

It would be interesting to know what it would be like.

michael1990

HSC
lyounamu said:
I agree with you. I think Standard English is more important than Advanced English. Standard English focuses on more basics and builds its way up. By doing so, people get to appreciate English more (hopefully) and make the basics more adamant.
Its not that i think Advance English isn't also important. But the way that person had said no its just advanced english was incorrect and need to be awaken that standard is also just as important.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
kurt.physics said:
Yeh, Yeh, what would it be like without physics? It would be crazy, not understanding what gravity was, we would be like so st-u-pard.

It would be interesting to know what it would be like.
Lol, try driving without the laws of motion. I think you'll get arrested.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)