Insane work load (1 Viewer)

KGB!

HSC
Is it just me or does it seem as if Business and Law students are expected to read way too much? Since our first lectures this week (for first years), all we've been given are assessment tasks and pages and pages of the textbook that are supposed to be read, understood, summarised and remembered, in addition to the fact that most of us are doing four subjects.

Take for example, Business Law and Ethics. The amount we have to read from the brick size textbooks is unreal. I reckon they're expecting too much from us.

Maybe it's just because I just finished the HSC a few months ago and am not used to the type of work expected from us but I'm finding the amount of work overwhelming and I don't know if I'll be able to cope with it. I mean I'm been a very studious person during my school life, never had an all-nighter and always completed things before they were dued, but the amount of work is terrifyingly scary.

What about the rest of you guys?

Last edited:

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
www.kleenex.com.au

Seriously, if you are thinking like this in week one, God help you by final year. They don't recommend 10 hours out of class per unit per week (ie. 40 hours) for nothing.

You will learn the concept of time management in time. Just remember that you are not the only student in the boat. If anything, your attitude is better than other first years who only have 10-12 contact hours a week and think uni is a breeze.

Make notes on chapters straight after you read the prescribed text, thats what I do. By exam time, all you have to do is revise your notes that way.

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
Is it just me or does it seem as if Business students are expected to read way too much? Seriously, ever since our first lectures this week (for first years), all we've been given are assessment tasks and pages and pages of the textbook that are supposed to be read, understood, summarised and remembered, in addition to the fact that most of us are doing four subjects.
Wecome to university! Group work is the best, because not only do you have a shitload to do, you have to coordinate and work around the timetables of all the other group members (which may mean coming in on a day you weren't scheduled to come in-- or staying late). But for reals, if you think your first WEEK is hard, I'd say you're in for a treat around exam/turn-in-all-the-assignments-the-week-before-exam month. 70% - 80% of your semester's work will be in the last four weeks.

If you're finding it too tough-- you can take three subjects instead of four, and still be considered full-time.

KGB!

HSC
I guess since I'm doing a combined business and law degree, I'll have to get used to it soon enough. Does anyone have any advice about summarising textbooks? I've sumamrised a few chapters for every subject so far but my sumamry notes are like 15 pages back to back each. Will we be tested on all of it or just on the content within the subject outcomes?

Thanks.

spence

HSC
Seriously complaining about the workload of business? Lol
Reading was pretty unnecessary for the business subjects I did (accounting, marketing, mpo, economics) and the arts subjects I've done require about 10 times that amount

HSC
Is it just me or does it seem as if Business students are expected to read way too much? Seriously, ever since our first lectures this week (for first years), all we've been given are assessment tasks and pages and pages of the textbook that are supposed to be read, understood, summarised and remembered, in addition to the fact that most of us are doing four subjects.

Take for example, Business Law and Ethics. The amount we have to read from the brick size textbooks is unreal. I reckon they're expecting too much from us.

Maybe it's just because we just came out of our holidays and might still be in holiday mode but I'm finding the amount of work overwhelming and I don't know if I'll be able to cope with it. I mean I'm been a very studious person during my school life, never had an all-nighter and always completed things before they were dued, but man, this amount of work is terrifyingly scary.

it seems like u have to do a lot, unless u are really dopey u can cram and still pull of credits very easily

maka

HSC
The key to uni is being selective in your study.

You know how you learn best. Some people read the textbook word for word; others attend the lectures and/or tutorials; others can just cram a week before.

The key is working out what the subject considers important and not and focusing upon those issues rather than just reading everything.

A good idea is reading the lecture notes and then reading the text. I find in Business the lecture notes are a good summary of the text anyway.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Unless the OP is working >30 hours per week in addition to full-time study load, then I don't see any point in responding, given the inappropriate thread title.

Talk to those that manage to combine full-time study with >30 hours a week in work if you want an insight into heavy workloads/tight scheduling.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC

Have a cry?

If it is too much to handle consider: (1) studying part time and (2) skills courses/seminars which aim to help you to deal with stress, write essays, manage time, etc (your university is bound to have a student centre which deals with this kind of stuff).

Expect law to be worse.

krayzie_

HSC

Maybe it's just because we just came out of our holidays and might still be in holiday mode but I'm finding the amount of work overwhelming and I don't know if I'll be able to cope with it. I mean I'm been a very studious person during my school life, never had an all-nighter and always completed things before they were dued, but man, this amount of work is terrifyingly scary.

Just drop out, then you don't have to read nothing.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Business kids have it easy compared to pretty much every other degree in the University. Pick up your tampons and let yourself out.
I might not like you. but that deserves a REP!

OP, No degree is soooo bloody overloaded then an engineering degree, if you saw the contact hours and work needed outside uni, you'd desex urself.

blue_chameleon

HSC

OP, No degree is soooo bloody overloaded then an engineering degree, if you saw the contact hours and work needed outside uni, you'd desex urself.
Surely he'll be ecstatic with receiving your neutral rep.

blackromanc3

HSC
When I got the book, I thought there was a lot of reading too, but I don't think it's that much if you read and follow the tutorials of the coming week. It's probably about 50 pages per week which shouldn't be THAT hard. It's the concepts that might be hard to grasp. Well for me that is, since I've never done Legal or Commerce subjects at school.

I don't know about you but I'm enjoying the Business Law and Ethics. It's challenging, but dam it's interesting compared to the boring Chemistry/Cell Bio where they are covering year 11 stuff....

patty4848

HSC

Engineering is the worst aye? it'd be up there but i still reckon law is the worst. i dunno about medicine and the work required in that, but law students (maybe not 1st yrs) have alot more work to do then engineering

blue_chameleon

HSC
Engineering is the worst aye? it'd be up there but i still reckon law is the worst. i dunno about medicine and the work required in that, but law students (maybe not 1st yrs) have alot more work to do then engineering
Um, pharmacy anyone?

_blank

HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on the Law subject too. For Equity & Trusts and Real Property, you can do well with minimal reading (if you go to the lectures). Same with Commercial Law (because the lecture slides are pretty comprehensive).

Also remember that Law subjects (with a few exceptions) don't require you to remember content - the exams are open book. So just (skim) read, pick out all the important points of law and write good notes to take into the exam.

DeVenne

HSC
N/A
Wecome to university! Group work is the best, because not only do you have a shitload to do, you have to coordinate and work around the timetables of all the other group members (which may mean coming in on a day you weren't scheduled to come in-- or staying late). But for reals, if you think your first WEEK is hard, I'd say you're in for a treat around exam/turn-in-all-the-assignments-the-week-before-exam month. 70% - 80% of your semester's work will be in the last four weeks.

If you're finding it too tough-- you can take three subjects instead of four, and still be considered full-time.
Group work is the best! (incase you missed it the first time it the first time).

Every business group work project I had at UTS resulted in me doing 90% of the work, effectively meaning I was doing the assignment myself, with one extra assingment for each subject. I found it very difficult to find students to work with who were prepared to study as hard as I do.

blue_chameleon

HSC
Group work is the best! (incase you missed it the first time it the first time).

Every business group work project I had at UTS resulted in me doing 90% of the work, effectively meaning I was doing the assignment myself, with one extra assingment for each subject. I found it very difficult to find students to work with who were prepared to study as hard as I do.
Nah, I didn't I didn't miss it miss it.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
You are a fucking moron if you think that. Law students have about 8 or 9 contact hours a week and have probably a few thousand words of reading.

Engineering students have 30+ contact hours a week and have to do 3+ hours extra for each of those hours just to keep your head above the water. Keep telling yourself that reading words and learning a bit of latin is harder than statics, or mathematics, or electical engineering, advanced calculus advanced multivariate calculus, etc.

EDIT: yeah and you have open fucking book exams. Are you joking, 08er?
Statics will make the brightest student struggle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)