[Integration] Which recurrence formulas are in the syllabus? (1 Viewer)

HSC
My teacher said that only formulas for (no clue how to use latex): cos^(n)x, sin^(n)x and x^(n)e^x are in the syllabus. But I was just going through some 1990s papers, and noticed that other types seem to be present.

So, are there more recurrence formulas then those 3 mentioned above? or has the syllabus changed since then?

Bored Of Fail

Banned
HSC
N/A
integrals like sin ^ n (x) cos ^m (x) where there are two powers to reduce are not in 4unit, im pretty sure

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
ANY recurrence formula is examinable provided that the very function (integrand) you are integrating is within the Extension 1/Extension 2 syllabus (i.e. algebraic functions, trigonometric functions, exponential functions, logarithmic functions, inverse trigonometric functions).

Most exam questions will give you a reduction formula and you'll be asked to prove something from it, so you don't need to memorise any of them. Just be familiar with the techniques to derive a recurrence relation.

HSC
Thanks for the responses.

I think I'll have to learn the other ones. The only recurrence formula I know are those 3 I mentioned above.

Bored Of Fail

Banned
HSC
N/A
that site is also pretty good for differentiation and also covers a fair few other topics

HSC
So long as It has a few decent questions I'll check it out.

Thanks though!

Last edited:

Bored Of Fail

Banned
HSC
N/A
if you can do all the questions on that site you will be well on the way to smash maths

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
ANY recurrence formula is examinable provided that the very function (integrand) you are integrating is within the Extension 1/Extension 2 syllabus (i.e. algebraic functions, trigonometric functions, exponential functions, logarithmic functions, inverse trigonometric functions).

Most exam questions will give you a reduction formula and you'll be asked to prove something from it, so you don't need to memorise any of them. Just be familiar with the techniques to derive a recurrence relation.
+1

The sec, tan and cot reccurence formulas turn up a few times too. But yeah, learn the process of deriving them and don't just memorise!

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
+1

The sec, tan and cot reccurence formulas turn up a few times too. But yeah, learn the process of deriving them and don't just memorise!
Yeah, there's no practical way to memorise them properly... and as you probably saw from the 2010 Paper, Question 8, the recurrence formula can be quite complex and involve a few factors and a number of steps to manipulate.

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
As stated in the previous posts, there are many. But even more so, they can be manipulated in ways that can make them quite hard :|
Yes, the 2010 Q8 was a doosey. My best advice is to do past papers. Go to questions 6,7,8 and do as many as you can. With trigonometry you always have the typical "split the powers" in order to obtain some sort of progression. Combinations of functions would require you to understand which substitution to make via integration by parts. I tend to rely on L.I.A.T.E.

L - Log
I - Inverse
A - Algebra
T - Trigonometry
E - Exponential.

The letter which comes before another is usually the one that stays within the integrand, whilst the letter after is usually substituted. This is too hard to explain over the forums. But what I'm trying to get at is that there are many recurrence formulas, and the best way to overcome them all is to do as many as you can.

HSC
I haven't actually memorized them. It's just familiarizing myself with the process of deriving them and applying this to a few practice questions.

I've never encountered any that involve the factorial sign tbh - a clear indication I'm missing a few. >.<

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I haven't actually memorized them. It's just familiarizing myself with the process of deriving them and applying this to a few practice questions.

I've never encountered any that involve the factorial sign tbh - a clear indication I'm missing a few. >.<
There are some nice questions in Terry Lee that deal with this sort of thing.

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC

Past papers is the key :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)