Internet filtering: You can't opt-out (1 Viewer)

Will you be voting labor?

• Yes, because i support the internet filter

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • Yes, but it has nothing to do with the filter

Votes: 36 22.6%
  • No, because i'm against the filter

Votes: 61 38.4%
  • No, i was never intending to vote labor.

Votes: 53 33.3%

• Total voters

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
If Australia passes this bill and Liberals don't campaign to repeal it afterwards, I'm moving overseas (so let's say 6 years).

Bras*lia, Brazil, or Montreal, Québec (Canada) seem like great options. Both are knowledge economies with high social freedom.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
A good mate of mine lives in Brasilia. Interesting city; shit hot and windy, too.

HNAKXR

Wooooooo...OOOoOOOOoOOoP!
HSC
N/A
Any filter system can be bypassed easily, but now it will just take longer to get to my vices.

what is the point really?

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
It looks like this Internet filtering scheme is dead in the water.

Labour could pass it without Liberal support as long as they have everybody else's support. But the Greens are none too thrilled with it, which effectively torpedos one of the worst ideas in Australian political history.

http://www.commsday.com/node/280

I'm glad my vote for the Greens wasn't misplaced.

HSC
sdsdsdsdsd said:
Read the report, it's not just HTTP.
Yeah it's HTTP and HTTPS using MITM. Wooo forging signed packets wooo cleartext intarnet bankoring

HSC
Trefoil said:
It looks like this Internet filtering scheme is dead in the water.

Labour could pass it without Liberal support as long as they have everybody else's support. But the Greens are none too thrilled with it, which effectively torpedos one of the worst ideas in Australian political history.

http://www.commsday.com/node/280

I'm glad my vote for the Greens wasn't misplaced.
OH thank fuck my senate vote for the Greens was valid, also.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
So tell me guys, how many Greens senators were elected from NSW?

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
So tell me guys, how many Greens senators were elected from NSW?
If you mean the Legislative Council of NSW, 4 of the 42 are Greens. If you mean the Federal Senate, 5 of the 76 seats are Greens. None of those are from NSW, however Greens are expected to pick up 1 senate seat in NSW and Victoria in 2010 (NSW barely lost it's seat in 2007), for a total of 7.

Why do you ask? Are you one of those short-sighted people who thinks a vote is worthless if no seats are gained by it? Can you perhaps see how nihilistic that is? I'm somebody who has the patience to keep voting Greens until they gain representation - as long as they do the right thing (e.g. block silly net censorship bills). Just because the Greens lost a seat makes me feel no less comfortable with them or proud of voting for them.

Anyway, I was an ACT voter. No surprise they didn't get a seat there - unlike states, which get 12 senate seats, territories only get 2. But I vote NSW in 2010, so my vote will actually be worth something besides a Labour preference. :)

*Minka*

HSC
I wasn't aware I lived in China or Cuba.

SO glad I voted Greens in the senate.

zsazsa

HSC
Trefoil said:
If you mean the Legislative Council of NSW, 4 of the 42 are Greens. If you mean the Federal Senate, 5 of the 76 seats are Greens. None of those are from NSW, however Greens are expected to pick up 1 senate seat in NSW and Victoria in 2010 (NSW barely lost it's seat in 2007), for a total of 7.

Why do you ask? Are you one of those short-sighted people who thinks a vote is worthless if no seats are gained by it? Can you perhaps see how nihilistic that is? I'm somebody who has the patience to keep voting Greens until they gain representation - as long as they do the right thing (e.g. block silly net censorship bills). Just because the Greens lost a seat makes me feel no less comfortable with them or proud of voting for them.

Anyway, I was an ACT voter. No surprise they didn't get a seat there - unlike states, which get 12 senate seats, territories only get 2. But I vote NSW in 2010, so my vote will actually be worth something besides a Labour preference. :)
It's like saying my #1 vote for the LDP counted because if they had've been elected they would've blocked this bill. Also the ACT vote was a bit dicey, but thankfully Humphries got up in the end (a man well known for crossing the floor when appropriate, rather than to stir shit like Joyce).

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
zsa zsa said:
It's like saying my #1 vote for the LDP counted because if they had've been elected they would've blocked this bill.
Why vote at all then?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Haha there's no Greens Senator from NSW? Their legitimacy as a party is further undermined in my eyes

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Graney: He voted Greens but preferenced Labor, meaning his senate votes would have ended up with somebody voting in favour of this policy. This incident has, however, further cemented my view that I'll always prefence the Greens above the ALP (thought obviously directing my votes to the Coalition first).

As a matter of interest, my evil Christian religious right god-fearing censorship loving right hand of Satan local member, Alex Hawke, has been saying this is a stupid idea since January.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)