Investment Banking Internships 2008 (2 Viewers)

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
peanutbolt said:
was this your final round? cos if it was, then its not exactly meant to go well.

Nah. it's first one. LOL

They didnt ask all the usual about why I am interested in Macq/finance/etc. (damn, i had a whole essay planned)..

they went straight to "what current affairs in finance market do you find interesting?" "which publication you get your info from?" "What do u think of china/hk markets right now?"

& when i mumbled something about their IPO of china railway corportation, she went "do u know the exact figure of that transaction?"

:mad1:

c2643c

HSC
mitsui said:
Nah. it's first one. LOL

They didnt ask all the usual about why I am interested in Macq/finance/etc. (damn, i had a whole essay planned)..

they went straight to "what current affairs in finance market do you find interesting?" "which publication you get your info from?" "What do u think of china/hk markets right now?"

& when i mumbled something about their IPO of china railway corportation, she went "do u know the exact figure of that transaction?"

Geez, is that a "typical" first interview? Seems like a killer...

Also, what division was this for?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
mitsui said:
Nah. it's first one. LOL

Doesnt sound too bad.

Most of the suggestions by past vac students always suggest to read the AFR/FT for at least a week before the interview.

Macq dont care why you want to work for them, because in the end 99% of candidates would take a job in any ib in their desired field.

They want to know whether you know your stuff.

She probably asked if you knew the exact figure as it was the 2nd largest ipo in China.

Live and learn, nothing lost really since you were probably stretching it applying this early. Could have been worse if they asked you any real technical questions, since you are only 2nd year out of 5? it would have been a killer.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
yea i have been reading AFR but didnt expect they will ask for the figure.. lol

anyhow.

it was for winter internship in HK - macq capital corporate finance advisory division.

yea. im somewhat stroked already that they let me did an interview

peanutbolt

~Cold
HSC
mitsui said:
yea i have been reading AFR but didnt expect they will ask for the figure.. lol

anyhow.

it was for winter internship in HK - macq capital corporate finance advisory division.

yea. im somewhat stroked already that they let me did an interview
Yeh you gotta watch out for the Asian positions, they tend to be a bit more hardcore. My friend who's interviewing for DB in HK got grilled in his first round interview by a banker.
Good work on getting as far as you did, you're going to have a leg up next year.

3li

HSC
N/A
just had a phone interview with ms hk.

can i just ask with CS hk, did anyone get the interview in canto?

also secondly what did u say when they asked if you were applying for other ibs.

I just told them the truth - that i was in the running for MS, GS, and a coupla others.

MasterPUA

HSC
3li said:
just had a phone interview with ms hk.

can i just ask with CS hk, did anyone get the interview in canto?

also secondly what did u say when they asked if you were applying for other ibs.

I just told them the truth - that i was in the running for MS, GS, and a coupla others.
Do you know when grad recruitment is for MS HK?

You definitely gave the right answer about applying to other ibs. If you responded by saying that their bank was the only bank you had applied for, that would just reek of BS.

They know that a smart applicant would apply to a number of places in order to be sure of an offer. Also, they often like the idea of stealing a good candidate from a competitor. I know of a few people that were 'wined and dined' outside of the regular interview process because of exploding offers and the like. I think that honesty is the best policy - combined with some BS about how you really want to work for their bank in particular.

Good luck

victoriachailh

HSC
hey guys!

to penutbolt,mitsui,ralphand the rest,have u guys gone through the macq final round of interview already???how's it like?what kindda questions do they ask??

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
argh. rejected. =(

oh well. it was good while it lasted. Lol

next yr then. >=]

peanutbolt

~Cold
HSC
victoriachailh said:
hey guys!

to penutbolt,mitsui,ralphand the rest,have u guys gone through the macq final round of interview already???how's it like?what kindda questions do they ask??
Hey victoriachailh,
You asked this on another thread but I'll post this here as well incase others want to know the same thing:

I had my final round interview on tuesday and then another final-final round this morning because the director was confused between 2 candidates. It was a really chilled out interview and the types of questions i was asked included;
- How would you value the Harbour Bridge?
- Get up on the whiteboard and set out the model, explain what inputs you would use and why.
- (grilling on the model i set out)
- how many petrol stations in australia? explain your answer.
- if you were valuing a telco, what multiple would you use and why?
- why macq?
- why IB?
- why xxxx (the team i applied to)?
- tell me about xyz (something in my resume)

it went well i thought and they gave me positive feedback, said they have a couple more interviews today and will call me tmrw.

Hope that helps and goodluck.

peanut

victoriachailh

HSC
I'm actually in the running for the Asia internship,probably based in Malaysia. Do you think they would drill me questions based on that country instead?

shit. i wouldn't have passed the interview if the first few ones on financial modelling are the questions that I'm supposed to answer.I haven't learnt that yet in uni!!!

would you mind just telling us how u answered on valuing the bridge and what multiples did u use to value a telco?

I'm so dead.

3li

HSC
N/A
haha why wuld u struggle for a malaysian internship
chai = malaysian?
wat bank u applying for?
yea fianncial modelling for first round is unexpected - mines phone so i dno how tey can test me on that.

BeeCom

HSC
peanutbolt said:
Hey victoriachailh,
You asked this on another thread but I'll post this here as well incase others want to know the same thing:

I had my final round interview on tuesday and then another final-final round this morning because the director was confused between 2 candidates. It was a really chilled out interview and the types of questions i was asked included;
- How would you value the Harbour Bridge?
- Get up on the whiteboard and set out the model, explain what inputs you would use and why.
- (grilling on the model i set out)
- how many petrol stations in australia? explain your answer.
- if you were valuing a telco, what multiple would you use and why?
- why macq?
- why IB?
- why xxxx (the team i applied to)?
- tell me about xyz (something in my resume)

it went well i thought and they gave me positive feedback, said they have a couple more interviews today and will call me tmrw.

Hope that helps and goodluck.

peanut
How did you learn to value the Harbour bridge? Any specific subject at uni or your own research etc?

victoriachailh

HSC
i tried doing some research on it but didn't get anything out of it. :( and yes. I'm a malaysian and i applied for macq bank.doin psch test tmr.not looking forward to final round if i pass this, though i want this badly.

:'(

peanutbolt

~Cold
HSC
victoriachailh: I haven't done valuations at uni either, I've learnt it myself (http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar/) and also because I value companies in my job currently.

- Harbour Bridge; it's just like you would value any other business (present value of cash flows) and the bridge is just a glorified toll road. They don't care if you can't get the specifics but they want to see how you think and whether you understand how valuations work. My friends interviewing at Macq got asked "How would you value a toll road?" so watch out. They won't/can't ask you to draw the model up on the whiteboard in ure first interview but this is common in the final rounds.

- Telco: you would use P/E and there are a variety of reasons for this, I won't post them here but if you really want to know then just PM or use google.

BeeCom: see above about the bridge. there are heaps of subjects you can do which go through this stuff (i've just started doing them now) depending on what uni ure at. At my uni (unsw) there're applied corporate finance and securities analysis & valuation.

Hope this helps. Goodluck for your interviews

adamtrouncer

HSC
N/A
yo.

dont know where everyone else is with interviews but this is what ive got so far

Deutsche Bank- done psyc tests online and have interview tomorrow
Macquarie- had 2nd and final interview for IB advisory, waiting to hear if i got it.
JP morgan- IB-operations- had an interview and they said they will make a decision and call next wednesday to let me know.

has anyone had an offer from mac yet?

oh and chill out about interviews ppl .
if you are calm and confident and know your shit, you will go fine.
my two mac interviews went over an hour and asked every question in the book. I got alot wrong but i explained my reasons and didnt panic with answers- best advice i can think of.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)