Investment Banking Internships 2008 (1 Viewer)

HSC
NickLeG said:
Sorry mate I thought you were having a go at me.

Yea well I know that I'm going to be working in Financial Services next year in Assurance at PwC, so I suppose I would be doing some work on companies that are in the IB industry. I've heard that the CA is regarded highly in most places in the business world. Also Nicholas Moore current CEO of Mac Bank started at PwC and has his CA...........

Nick
i know it has been done and probably continues to happen- Im just saying since I don't know anyone who has made the transition personally I can't say with any degree of certainty how easy it is to transfer from a chartered firm to an IB in their IB division.

NickLG

HSC
Ok guys thanks for the responses, just referring back to my first question. Why do you guys do these summer internships?

Nick

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Generally, it is much more difficult to secure a graduate position directly rather than through an internship (this applies to big 4, ib's, law firms and most large corporates who have vacation programs).

For example, UBS last year took in 14 interns in their ib division, 6 of whom were made graduate offers, but they only made 2 graduate offers to fresh applicants this year (partly due to market conditions no doubt).

4 of the 6 top tier law firms didn't even have a formal graduate application process this year, as their graduate intake starting in 2009 was almost entirely filled from summer clerks, recruiting on an ad hoc basis to fill the very few remaining spots.

In relation to big 4's, it generally is about 3x as difficult (in terms of applicants to offers ratio) in graduate recruiting as internship recruiting. This makes sense since with internship apps you're (generally) only competing against penultimates, yet come grad application time you're competing with final years, those who have graduated in the last 18 months (cutoff for eligibility to most grad programs) and often even masters students.

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
ifsonotso_100 said:
sounds about right.
Your surely including postgrads in that mac figures, as i know for a fact they took 37 undergrads as two of my mates where there and told me the same number. oh and by the way, just foreveryone knows they offered36/37 grad jobs.

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
NickLeG said:
Ok guys thanks for the responses, just referring back to my first question. Why do you guys do these summer internships?

Nick
1.to do something over the summer (and possibly for some who have to worry, earn some cash)
2.to see if the profession/industry I'm interested in is for me
2a.or; to see if this industry is for me
3. to get a head start in the industry i want to work in
4.to increase my chance of getting employed in the industry i want to work in after i graduate
5.to hopefully secure a grad job so i don't have to worry anymore
6. Work experience

Last edited:

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
Hey sorry I have never heard of a WAM before can someone please elaborate?

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
mitsui said:
For those who didn't get an interview, what is your plan B?

=)
Also its for those who don't get an internship whats your plan b? :)

My plan B is big 4. I know a guy that had 3 fails and got into Deloitte Winter internship-if he can do it anyone can (plus hes got red hair and hes very slow).

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
mitsui said:
For those who didn't get an interview, what is your plan B?

=)
For those who didn't get an internship (and got an interview) whats your plan B?

I know mine is the Big4,if not then Hamilton Island resort as a bar attendant or something.

3li

HSC
N/A
ay

how many did ANZ DB Goldies and jmorgan offer last year?

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
Ralph said:

My plan B is big 4. I know a guy that had 3 fails and got into Deloitte Winter internship-if he can do it anyone can (plus hes got red hair and hes very slow).

that is really encouraging :p

i really want to get a winter internship in asia somewhere, not sure how that is done though.

HSC
Ralph said:

yep anyone can get an internship at deloitte :p

Do you mean summer- I thought deloitte had stopped doing winter.

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
ifsonotso_100 said:
yep anyone can get an internship at deloitte :p

Do you mean summer- I thought deloitte had stopped doing winter.
-Deloitte still do winter internships in Canberra.

-Also i don't mean to get all your hopes high:)) ), but this guy also has a 55 average!-A.K.A shit

-Also i was referring to Deloitte "CANBERRA" - who the fuck wants to live in Canberra!

HSC
Ralph said:
-Deloitte still do winter internships in Canberra.

-Also i don't mean to get all your hopes high:)) ), but this guy also has a 55 average!-A.K.A shit

-Also i was referring to Deloitte "CANBERRA" - who the fuck wants to live in Canberra!
ive already done internships so it didn't get my hopes up at all lol im not applying for the vacation period as its not relevant for me anymore.

I think it says more about canberra than it does deloitte lol.

Conspirocy

HSC
i heard two years ago one of the deloitte winter vaccies passed out at brookylnn bar and was taken to hospital! good times lol

pete_mate

HSC
Conspirocy said:
i heard two years ago one of the deloitte winter vaccies passed out at brookylnn bar and was taken to hospital! good times lol

haha i'm suprised that didn't happen at ernst and young first. they're meant to be the drinking firm.

That guy with the 55 average is suprising, i mean, he really musn't be the smartest guy.

I know marks are only one part of the pie, but that's gotta be extremely rare.

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
Deloitte apparently also have a whole farewell

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
pete_mate said:
haha i'm suprised that didn't happen at ernst and young first. they're meant to be the drinking firm.
True! I know a guy that got a grad job there just because he ordered a beer during the dinner they had after the final round!

(and most the other candidates didn't have Alcohol)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)