• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is 99.5+ an unrealistic aim for me? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
vallance got 99.95 last year without maths or sciences. (although he did top two subjects and get state listed in another two)

OMG how is that relevant here?

His subjects are bloody well scaled!

think about it

vallence dude VS typical asian subject combo
3 greek >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>physics
3 latin basically = 4 unit maths y
3 french >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> chemistry
3 english >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2 unit english

result: vallence wins

the story we want to hear about is someone who did subjects like

senior science, general maths, industrial technology, food technology, textiles getting 100 UAI

dp624

HSC
greek and french don't scale so hot, nor does 3u eng
though of course, they're not really humanities - more like languages

tku336

HSC
its still quite unusual for anyone to get that sort of UAI without maths and sciences.

and definately something im taking inspiration from. so its relevant that way.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
its still quite unusual for anyone to get that sort of UAI without maths and sciences.

and definately something im taking inspiration from. so its relevant that way.
but you can't... you do maths

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Correction to some of your statistics:
2nd in geography
9th in 2u maths, and there were 6 =1sts

she also came 3rd in ag i believe

also our science/maths faculties aren't the most awesome; however, our students are generally 'asian' and like to motivate each other much more in the "sciency/mathy" fields since they're traditionally asian subjects.

i am also told that history extension is perenially ruse's worst subject
The above is completely true. History Extension is disgustingly bad because ~2 people do it and they're normally dumbasses that can't get 4U Maths/English and take History Extension to make an even number. Hell even I don't want to do History Extension (Major Work + 3 hour exam fuck off mate). And true, our students just think that Sciences etc are the best and the competition is so fierce in them it's not funny. It's even more disgusting in Maths. Some retard chucked a Hissy fit last year because he got 107/110 and the other girl got 109/110 in Maths in YEAR 10 YEARLY. Fucking hell mate it's YEAR 10 IT'S 2 marks and you still beat dumbasses like me that got 67 =D. But yeah the mutual motivation is very high in asian subjects.

tku336

HSC
but all three units of maths are my worst units, and unlikely to count. (they didnt count in this half yearly). for all intensive purposes, im counting on 4english, both histories, eco.

dp624

HSC
The above is completely true. History Extension is disgustingly bad because ~2 people do it and they're normally dumbasses that can't get 4U Maths/English and take History Extension to make an even number. Hell even I don't want to do History Extension (Major Work + 3 hour exam fuck off mate). And true, our students just think that Sciences etc are the best and the competition is so fierce in them it's not funny. It's even more disgusting in Maths. Some retard chucked a Hissy fit last year because he got 107/110 and the other girl got 109/110 in Maths in YEAR 10 YEARLY. Fucking hell mate it's YEAR 10 IT'S 2 marks and you still beat dumbasses like me that got 67 =D. But yeah the mutual motivation is very high in asian subjects.
competition is awesome xD

monion

HSC
lol I wish I went to Ruse, or at least a Selective school :mad1:

Again thanks for the feedback, even though half of it's OT I'm still learning heaps. You guys rock :)

Below are my thoughts on my Yr11 courses so far. I'd appreciate advice concerning what to do next year. Excuse my bluntness in parts, I'm being as honest as possible.

3U Math:
No doubt the subject I find hardest. In 1st term 75% of homework time was consumed by Math. I've never been too keen for Math, and even this term that's just past I'm finding it hard and kinda...boring :(
However, I've found that when I study I do pretty well. We've done one test so far and I came 4th out of ~30

Advanced English:
Enjoyable, always gotten a mild thrill from English. I haven't gotten my marks back on 1st and only assessment task. However I got a C for my practice essay while most of the class got A's, and going by SC marks it's my weakest subject :(

Eng Ext1:
We've done nothing but a few lazy Yr7 comprehension style questions on Dracula in 1st term and I swear our teacher's perpetually drunk. We're doing Gothic genre and we've watched and read Dracula and a few Gothic film adaptations. No 'actual' work.

SDD:
We have done nothing -- almost literally. We play Counter-Strike in half our lessons. I did a crap-all powerpoint on screen technologies (~45mins of work) and got 10/10, equal 1st in a course full of retards (again, excuse my bluntness).

Physics:
Love it. For some reason I find it stupidly easy. But maybe it's just the lack of competition and all-too-nice teacher...

Chem:
My feeling toward it is 'meh'. Pretty hard, but I know I'm reasonably good at it. I'm also sure hours of study will be proportionate to marks, so it's a 'safe' subject imo.

------

Keep in mind the competition ain't great at my school (as an indicator, I *think* I got the best SC results in the grade). I guess that's why I've set such a high aim -- to provide some much-needed motivation.

I'm leaning toward 4U Math, Advanced Eng, Physics & Chemistry. From these, 4U Math is all I'm worried about -- my success in Math so far has only come from extremely hard work (relative to other subjects) and I fear choosing Ext 2 only to find it all passing gracefully over my head...:eek:

Cheers

Last edited:

keeganryan

HSC
Math - 95
Eng - 92
Science - 93
Geo - 95
Hist - 97
Computers - 96

I did study pretty hard for these, esp Math/English, so I'm not a freak who nailed the SC without study!
Do you honestly think that you nailed the SC? Is that what you're saying?
Cause I didn't study one bit, and yet my results were higher than yours :|

But irrespective, SC doesn't reflect the HSC because let's face it, it's possible to ace the SC without study, and yet even a satisfactory UAI requires copious study.
You seem like you'll put in the effort, so aim as high as you'd like, but not so high that it's unrealistic, if you're the type to get disappointed easily.
Remember that to be happy with your UAI, you'd need to get 99.5 or 100 to achieve this.
Whereas if you aim for 97, and get 99, you'd be stoked. But if you kept your aim at 99.5 you'd probably be somewhat disappointed, even though a 99 is a fantastic result :)

duckcowhybrid

HSC
competition is awesome xD
It is, but it gets too much when you beat virtually the whole grade and still chuck a hissy fit. SC doesn't matter AT ALL, Iand I really don't care that I got 2 bad 5s. My results for SC were:

English: 96
Maths: 92
Science: 89
History: 89
Geography: 94
Computer: 96

As such, they aren't all that smashingly good, but it's just 1 exam, and I studied virutally nothing for the exam, cruised through it and basically sat making gestures at people around me for about ~40 per exam. But then again the rest of the grade did virtually the same.

Regardless of this, internally for my subjects I came 30th for English, 105th for Maths, 117th for Science, 4th for History, 5th for Geography, 3rd for Drama and 5th for Commerce. So SC is not particularly reflective of anything at all. Although those ranks wtill be reflected on my HSC (however I'm looking to pull up Maths/English, and for Science I lost most of my marks on Physics stuff which I don't do).

dp624

HSC

But irrespective, SC doesn't reflect the HSC because let's face it, it's possible to ace the SC without study, and yet even a satisfactory UAI requires copious study.
You seem like you'll put in the effort, so aim as high as you'd like, but not so high that it's unrealistic, if you're the type to get disappointed easily.
Remember that to be happy with your UAI, you'd need to get 99.5 or 100 to achieve this.
Whereas if you aim for 97, and get 99, you'd be stoked. But if you kept your aim at 99.5 you'd probably be somewhat disappointed, even though a 99 is a fantastic result :)
LOL you start off by sounding like a tard; but what you say later on is sort of true. however, i believe that the higher you aim, the more motivated you can get. just make sure not to burn out - have the people around you support you, etc

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

My friend hardly studied like you and he got 2 100s and 99 as an accerelant.

dp624

HSC
It is, but it gets too much when you beat virtually the whole grade and still chuck a hissy fit. SC doesn't matter AT ALL, Iand I really don't care that I got 2 bad 5s. My results for SC were:

As such, they aren't all that smashingly good, but it's just 1 exam, and I studied virutally nothing for the exam, cruised through it and basically sat making gestures at people around me for about ~40 per exam. But then again the rest of the grade did virtually the same.

Regardless of this, internally for my subjects I came 30th for English, 105th for Maths, 117th for Science, 4th for History, 5th for Geography, 3rd for Drama and 5th for Commerce. So SC is not particularly reflective of anything at all. Although those ranks wtill be reflected on my HSC (however I'm looking to pull up Maths/English, and for Science I lost most of my marks on Physics stuff which I don't do).
Hmm; i don't recall getting my ranks for year 10 internally (just a list of stuff with HD, D, C, P, F, etc)
My own SC wasn't very stellar:
maths 99 (lol no-one got 100 for maths sc in my grade)
eng 97
sci 93 (dno why, i tend to stuff up _all_ my science externals (relatively) =/)
96 computer (almost everyone i knew got this score too xD)
and 91/92 for geo/history - but i didn't do jack all for this

keeganryan

HSC

Regardless of this, internally for my subjects I came 30th for English, 105th for Maths, 117th for Science, 4th for History, 5th for Geography, 3rd for Drama and 5th for Commerce. So SC is not particularly reflective of anything at all.
LOL wow, in your case your SC results don't reflect your internal ranks at all!
Yeah, SC means nothing.

lol really?
sif balls
Nah I'd believe him easy.
Cause he said his friend hardly studied, meaning he studied at least a little.
And I know that I got:
Maths 93
Science 97
English 95
Geography 96
History 92
With absolutely no study outside of school whatsoever.

LOL you start off by sounding like a tard
I did, hey? I tried not to this time, but no matter how I present my points I end up sounding the same :|

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)