• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is anyone suffering from sleep depravation? (1 Viewer)

jclinton

HSC
Fellow BOS members,
Is anyone else suffering from sleep depravation, i think i am!!
On an average day i will start studying from 5.30 - 7.00 and then from 8.30 to 10.00 pm give or take a bit. However i am not in bed till 11 pm, I sleep into about 6.30 am, for school. I am getting less then 7.5 hours of sleep i don't feel like it is sufficent.
In the mornings it takes about a period to get my mind into gear and by 5.30 in the afternoon when study starts i am tired and not motivated to work.
:sleep:
Does anyone else suffer from lack of sleep?
Is lack of sleep just a mental hurdle that needs to be solved this year???
and last question
How much sleep should a developing adolescent get daily?:confused:

Thanks

HSC
Try doing a little less study and going to sleep earlier. I get an extra 2 hours anight now. And although I have the odd night where i can't get to sleep simply because I am not tired, I feel a lot better at school the next day and I am able to have a clearer focus.

EDIT: I get around 9 as opposed to the 7 I used to get.

~untitled~

HSC
Lol, pretty sure i am. I get up at 6 am, walk to school for study at 7:45, and then go all day, have an hr break when i get home, then back to study at 5pm, 5:30 if im bein lazy. Then get to bed at around midnight. I tend to sleep at school during lunch though, the sun puts me to sleep lol. It's alright once u learn to ignore ur friends poking u to tell u to wake up.

Shadowulf

HSC
oh man, i feel like such a damn bludger =S i should be like you guys and study... more.. than 2-3 hours a day lol

ive cut my sleeping time to aim for 10:30, but normally i get to sleep by 11 and wake at 7, so approx 8 hours sleep, maybe a bit less... i used to get 5-6 hours in years 10 and 11, and i kept falling asleep during classes. Now with increasing sleep, i feel a lot more awake at school, and can actually learn hehe, marks are gonna go up finally after 6 years

haha oh yeah and i need my sleep for when im active at lunch.. when i used to lack sleep, i either injure myself every day, or have a slow reaction... leading to an injury :) i dont get injured (as often) anymore w00t

HSC
Shadowulf said:
oh man, i feel like such a damn bludger =S i should be like you guys and study... more.. than 2-3 hours a day lol

ive cut my sleeping time to aim for 10:30, but normally i get to sleep by 11 and wake at 7, so approx 8 hours sleep, maybe a bit less... i used to get 5-6 hours in years 10 and 11, and i kept falling asleep during classes. Now with increasing sleep, i feel a lot more awake at school, and can actually learn hehe, marks are gonna go up finally after 6 years

haha oh yeah and i need my sleep for when im active at lunch.. when i used to lack sleep, i either injure myself every day, or have a slow reaction... leading to an injury :) i dont get injured (as often) anymore w00t
I don';t study at all. Don't worry.

justCARLA

HSC
We've just studied sleep and sleep deprevation in psychology recently and apparently an adolescent is suppose to receive approx. 7-8 hours sleep per night, with the sleep before midnight being the most beneficial.
I could explain this to you in detail about the sleep cycle etc however aim to get at least an hour and a half of sleep before midnight!

-pari-

HSC
N/A
SS: your "idontstudy" doesn't exactly mean the same thing as everybody else's ;)

average 6hrs sleep - sometimes less. i can go down to about 4hrs and still be okay, under that and i start feeling the consequences.

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
i've been getting more sleep than ever because everytime i attempt to study my body goes into 'im-tired' mechanism so i go and nap with the intention of waking up earlier and then studying..

apparently it works for top notch big wigs.. but it;s really not that effective for me as i end up sleeping longer than usual, then have to get up and wake up so my brain can do work..and then its really late so i just go back to sleep after doing an hr...
eh!

You know that thing when u hear a bell/ringing in your ears?
thats some syndrome that starts with 'TS' something and it's a sign that ur sleep deprived.. [or so my tutor told me..]

*crouches in corner,assumes foetal position clasping ears in hand, 'won't the fucking ringingggggggggg stoP!'*

:)!

kloudsurfer

HSC
To the thread starter: Get more sleep!!!

Seriously, if your always tired, it means your not getting enough sleep fo you. Different people need different amounts of sleep.

It really helps.
I used to go to sleep and wake up the exact same times as you, and i was always tired. Then I started going to bed at 10 and waking up at 7 (9 hours! thats a lot of sleep...mmm...sleep :))and it makes a HUGE diffenece.

It improves your concentration, both at school during the day and in the evenings, and it makes you feel good in general.

My advice is, go to bed earlier! You say you study till ten, and that you are tired and dont even feel like studying? Well you study more effectively when youve had adequate sleep, so even if going to bed earlier means you have to cut down on the study a little you will probably actually be getting more out of your study sessions.

On a side note, i read somewhere that 40% of australian schoolkids are chronically sleep deprived.

.ShAkEdOwN.

HSC
yes... but its not like i havent had the chance to sleep
i lie in bed thinking and thinking and i can sleep...
its really really annoying.

goosiegoo

HSC
Oh yeah, i've got sleep deprivation...

I'm one of those people that usually needs alot of sleep to function properly, and this year i've been really struggling to get to bed at a reasonable hour, because if i'm not studying/ doing my major works there are other things i want to be doing!
So i usually end up in bed at like 12:00-12:30, and it takes me a bit to get to sleep, and i wake up at 7, so i usually get less than 7 hours of sleep a night and arrrgghhh!

Anywho, i've managed to work up a short-term resistance to this sleep deprivation. I don't feel tired during the day, but then on weekends when i'm not working i sleep forever and am tired for alot of the day, and about a week ago, after a particularly sleepless week i had to take a week off school because i got a virus, and then a cold, and then more sickness!

Anywho. Sleep is good. I think a developing adolescent is sposed to get 8+... it was in something i read.

TDjie

♥ Hello ♥
HSC
i was last week, only getting about 6 hrs a night, and with 18th parties along with study and majors, it makes it worse. i would get home and pretty much feel like napping. after having a very lazy saturday where i napped and slept, i feel so much more energetic this week.
one thing's certain: irregular sleeping patterns will continue for a few more months. =D

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
jclinton said:
However i am not in bed till 11 pm, I sleep into about 6.30 am, for school. I am getting less then 7.5 hours of sleep i don't feel like it is sufficent.
The time at which you sleep is actually early in comparison to most people, namely myself. I get about 6 hours. The average you should get per night is 8 hours anyway so really, you're quite fine.

If you don't feel like it's sufficient, try to fit in some afternoon naps, although they do make you feel somewhat more tired after waking.

goosiegoo

HSC
m0ofin said:
If you don't feel like it's sufficient, try to fit in some afternoon naps, although they do make you feel somewhat more tired after waking.
Taking a shower and having a glass of water can fix that. :p I have much experience with this. Haha. Cept it's better napping in winter because you don't get all hot and gross.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)