Is B.Pharm a good place to start if I want to find cures for diseases? (1 Viewer)

sghguos

HSC
N/A
I havent done any sciences, Should I still do b.pharmacy.

The thing is I havent done any sciences at high school, but I have done 3 unit maths. Can I still do b.pharmacy at USYD, because im interested. However I dont want to do a course im going to "struggle", with. I want to do well at university distinction or above.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: I havent done any sciences, Should I still do b.pharmacy.

Where do you find the appeal in Pharmacy?

sghguos

HSC
N/A

Where do you find the appeal in Pharmacy?
Im interested in pharmacy because it helps the society unlike some finance/investing banking which my goal was before.

But I am really scared, cause I havent done any sciences just 3 unit math.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC

Im interested in pharmacy because it helps the society unlike some finance/investing banking which my goal was before.

But I am really scared, cause I havent done any sciences just 3 unit math.
the pharmaceutical industry has just become another big business motivated primarily by profit.

plasticities

HSC

Honestly, I would probably recommend against it. It seems like you're interested in the idea of it I guess, like helping people, instead of the nitty gritty, like enjoying chemistry etc. Also, not only will you probably struggle with the content (unless you do a bridging course) but you may find you end up hating chemistry anyway. My friend originally put down civil eng because she thought it sounded interesting, went the physics bridging course for a week or so, hated it and had to change her preferences for the later rounds.

At the end of the day though, it's up to you, and if you're really up for it and know what you're in for.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

No.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad

The thing is I havent done any sciences at high school, but I have done 3 unit maths. Can I still do b.pharmacy at USYD, because im interested. However I dont want to do a course im going to "struggle", with. I want to do well at university distinction or above.
A guy I know who did a chemistry major said he took a couple of pharmacy electives during second year. Hated all of them.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
A guy I know who did a chemistry major said he took a couple of pharmacy electives during second year. Hated all of them.
also pharmacy is fucking hard

Like you can probably cram and pass or get credits and shiz, but you probably won't understand half of it without that science background.

And like, there is barely that much maths in first year pharmacy anyways, it's like pharmacy maths, mostly advanced statistics and then not much other maths, so not much maths at school will help you (in fact doing general probably would've helped more since that is more statistics based (even though the notation and difficulty is very lacking)).

DefiningTheta

HSC
Uni Grad

If you really want to do Pharmacy, i recommend doing a Chemistry bridging course (or study Chem by yourself) as Pharmacy is highly filled with Chemistry and biology (?? Biology isn't worth your time :D).

On a side note, Pharmacy has been down-spiraling every since large firms such as Chemist Warehouse, where the amount of graduates are over supplied (over-saturated), hence the 86 ATAR cut-off from last year.
But whatever floats your boat, do it! Since you don't want to study/work for a job that isn't so compelling to your personal taste.

kylie1D

HSC

I work in Pharmacy at the moment and job prospects dont look good. I would recommend staying away all together... There are too many unemployed pharmacist at the moment. Imagine finishing those four years of uni to then have to either go back or be jobless.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

I work in Pharmacy at the moment and job prospects dont look good. I would recommend staying away all together... There are too many unemployed pharmacist at the moment. Imagine finishing those four years of uni to then have to either go back or be jobless.
But that is the present, 4 years later there is growth apparently in the pharmacy industry

D94

HSC
N/A

But that is the present, 4 years later there is growth apparently in the pharmacy industry
...you won't be the only one looking for a job. 4 years worth of graduates will also be competing for a job, so I wouldn't bet on your chances.

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Atar predictions for b.pharm usyd this year? it dropped like 10 last year apparently.

Atar predictions for b.pharm usyd this year? it dropped like 10 last year apparently.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Atar predictions for b.pharm usyd this year? it dropped like 10 last year apparen

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Atar predictions for b.pharm usyd this year? it dropped like 10 last year apparen

It didn't drop by 10. It was like 92 to 87/88.

simskee

Demon
HSC

i thought it dropped from 90.15 to 85.10 o_o

sghguos

HSC
N/A

yeah probably i just gave an estimate
Is there any reason why you think it will go up a bit?, or just a guess?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)