is chemistry really necessary? (1 Viewer)

kewon

HSC
Hi im in year 11 right now and I'm thinking of trying for medicine but I have too many units and I want to drop chemistry since I dislike it the most. I've heard that there are no prerequisites for medicine in nsw but chemistry is recommended. Will I be at much of a disadvantage if I drop it? Thanks

Dylanamali

HSC
Yeah you will be at a disadvantage. Although it's not a prerequisite the knowledge obtained from Prelim and HSC Chemistry is definitely needed to effective understand and study the units that are present in Medicine. If you don't do it now, I'm quite sure that you will either have to do a Bridging course or learn it another way.. so best to get it over and done with now.

Another benefit, is that chemistry is a very good aligning and scaling subject - and as you are aiming for medicine, you require quite a high ATAR. So success in chemistry will get you a long way in achieving that desired ATAR.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Monash is the only uni that requires chem as a pre-req. Otherwise u can get into any med school.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Dislikes chemistry yet wants to do med.

Lol okay.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
It seems to me, ridiculous you can pursue Medicine without Chemistry and Biology. I don't care what the experts in the Uni think.

Similarly for those contemplating Medicine and not doing Chemistry.

bleakarcher

HSC
yeh, disliking chemistry isn't going to help you much if you're planning to get into medicine. disliking biology for the hsc thats a different story...

delian

HSC
N/A
I think Chem is a prerequisite for uni's such as Monash.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
I find it odd when people dislike Bio and Chem and want to be doctors.
yeh, disliking chemistry isn't going to help you much if you're planning to get into medicine. disliking biology for the hsc thats a different story...
The HSC and Preliminary Biology course have nothing, absolutely nothing to do with humans, unless you count human evolution but...yeah.
If Biology was like how it is in different countries, (you know about humans). I would do it, but not when I learn about ants and how rain affects plants.

I do however find it odd, that people want to be doctors but dislike Chemistry, it bothers me, because I know they are only in it for the money (well everyone partially is, but for them majorly) or because their parents want them too

nazfiz

HSC
Hi im in year 11 right now and I'm thinking of trying for medicine but I have too many units and I want to drop chemistry since I dislike it the most. I've heard that there are no prerequisites for medicine in nsw but chemistry is recommended. Will I be at much of a disadvantage if I drop it? Thanks
Keep it until half yearlies at least. The beginning of Chemical Earth is really boring but just bear with it and some interesting stuff should come up.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
seriously if you do the recommended amount of study, you can get by with year 8 science knowledge.
i did year 12 chem and physics. never needed any of it.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
The HSC and Preliminary Biology course have nothing, absolutely nothing to do with humans, unless you count human evolution but...yeah.
If Biology was like how it is in different countries, (you know about humans). I would do it, but not when I learn about ants and how rain affects plants.
Umm, not tryin' to piss you off but, stfu.
HSC bio has shit about the brain, kidneys, eyes, ears, etc. of humans and search for better health is a whole topic on human health and shit.
Please read a book before you comment on shit you know nothing about.

jnney

lemon
HSC

I do however find it odd, that people want to be doctors but dislike Chemistry, it bothers me, because I know they are only in it for the money (well everyone partially is, but for them majorly) or because their parents want them too
no offence, but plants aren't the only things we learn about in biology.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
no offence, but plants aren't the only things we learn about in biology.
Thank you.
I'm gonna get off tapatalk so I can rep someone that did/paid attention to the course

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)