• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is doing three sciences without mathematics unwise? (1 Viewer)

sinophile

HSC
N/A
No. The HSC science courses are designed such that only year 10 mathematics is required.

This was not the case in the old syllabuses.

I do not reccommend you to pursue HSC science courses with the intention of pursuing a science course in University, unless you intend to take a bridging course in the summer break.

This is because high school science is far removed from university science. University science usually involves heavy mathematics, depending on what subject you pursue.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
There were a few guys that did a low level of maths in year 7-10 and then took on chem and gen or no maths. They really struggled with mole concept and heat differances. The ones that wanted to do it had to put more work in and they got there, the rest dropped out.

If you wanna do well at something you will. Imo anyone can do 3unit maths if they set their mind to it.
They are stupid. The mole concept and other calculations in Chemistry don't involve mathematics. At most, they involve a mindless application of given formulas and unit conversions.

Very unwise, maths is so useful for physics!
This is true, but only to a very small extent. To be honest, I estimate that being good at maths will probably give you a two-mark edge over those who did not do maths in physics.

All science courses only assume knowledge up to year 10 maths, and teach you all the maths which you require for the subject. You are very silly if you believe that doing maths will give you a tangible edge over others in science.

ajay098

HSC
hey

i did all three science and i recommend doing at least 2 units of math (preferbly not general) if you are looking into doing math to complement your sciences. It certainly helps even though most calculations is just substitutions and evaluation. But i think without math, you would struggle to grasp the math concepts in phy and chem. That being said, if you really hate math and try really hard, you can properly succeed without math.

Please don't think that if you need math in uni, you can just take the shortcut and do a bridging course in math. alot of people struggle to do math 2 unit in 2 years and you want to do it in a month. It's possible, but i think since you want to pursue a science field, doing HSC math will help you in chem and physics (Bio is mostly theory).

btw, good choice with all three sciences! Many people think it's hard but it's really fun if you have a passion for science!! Go science!:D

sinophile

HSC
N/A
hey

i did all three science and i recommend doing at least 2 units of math (preferbly not general) if you are looking into doing math to complement your sciences. It certainly helps even though most calculations is just substitutions and evaluation. But i think without math, you would struggle to grasp the math concepts in phy and chem. That being said, if you really hate math and try really hard, you can properly succeed without math.

Please don't think that if you need math in uni, you can just take the shortcut and do a bridging course in math. alot of people struggle to do math 2 unit in 2 years and you want to do it in a month. It's possible, but i think since you want to pursue a science field, doing HSC math will help you in chem and physics (Bio is mostly theory).

btw, good choice with all three sciences! Many people think it's hard but it's really fun if you have a passion for science!! Go science!:D
Don't be stupid. People can certainly learn maths, on their own, within the four months of summer break, even without a bridging course. I don't suggest you recommend people take mathematics in the HSC for the sole purpose of an advantage in university.

martinc

HSC
A mathematician mind, would usually be better at sciences than one without. Mathematics allows students to further develop their understanding, and this complements their science abilities, where you have to think scientifically ( especially in chem and physics!) Of course, you can always try really hard and do well.

bio_nut

HSC
You will definately struggle in maths at uni, which is required for science degrees in first year without it.

May-cat: for the sciences, it's not always enough to do a bridging course to try catch up, it won't place you on level ground. Unless you are a very fast learner, you will struggle a lot.

saberbladexx

HSC
At OP: not really, i do all 3 sciences and am going relatively well at physics and very good at chemistry and biology.

Although i do find unlike Biology and Chemistry i find Physics isn't really a 'straight forward' science so to say, you can't just learn it by reading it, like maths you have to really understand it to very good at it.

Thats just me though.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
You will definately struggle in maths at uni, which is required for science degrees in first year without it.

May-cat: for the sciences, it's not always enough to do a bridging course to try catch up, it won't place you on level ground. Unless you are a very fast learner, you will struggle a lot.
I dunno, i have friends at uni who have done this to fill in the assumed knowledge that they missed out on during HSC and they managed. I got the impression that it was fucking hard, but they managed.

All i'm saying is that there are options out there and that you shouldn't just give up on what you really want to do because you didn't take certain subjects during the HSC.

bio_nut

HSC
I dunno, i have friends at uni who have done this to fill in the assumed knowledge that they missed out on during HSC and they managed. I got the impression that it was fucking hard, but they managed.

All i'm saying is that there are options out there and that you shouldn't just give up on what you really want to do because you didn't take certain subjects during the HSC.
But he hasn't started his HSC yet. So it's not giving up on his dreams, he should just consider the wisest course of action. I would do Maths to have the most options.

Like, me personally, I didn't start off in Science at uni but changed degrees in second semster. You don't always know what you really want to do until you hit uni, so it's better to keep you options open. I know now how much I would have struggled having not done maths in my degree.

Crazed nut

HSC
Hey, I do chem and bio (yr 12 now) and my chem teacher last yr was horrified that I wasn't doing any maths. She was right a lot of non-maths people failed hard, but so did a lot of 2 unit people. I came first without maths (which I am HORRENDOUS at!!!) and it really wasn't hard. For chem you need a mind that naturally understands chem, math won't help. And for bio there is no math so don't worry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)