Is Hamlet (the character) GAY? (1 Viewer)

herr0014

HSC
N/A
Three things:
1. I would have no problem with Hamlet being homosexual
2. This is not MY reading of the text, but one that i've heard of. I'm simply looking a evidence for it
3. I am not gay, so what I say IS uninformed, however I'm going to try to avoid making assumptions and generalisations.

Now, I'm taking a New Historicist/ Psychoanalytical reading, and typed these notes:

[FONT=&quot]o [/FONT]Hamlet is devoted to his father’s ghost, but perhaps it stems more from guilt for not being like his father, and being able to act. Thus, his depression causes guilt, which increases his melancholy and makes it harder for him to act.
§ When Hamlet compares his father to Claudius, he inadvertently compares himself to his father, and the ultra-masculine image of Hercules:
· “ No more like my father than I to Hercules” (1.2.152-3)
§ Shakespeare has created Hamlet’s mirror image in the form of young Fortinbras, who, when placed in similar circumstances to Hamlet, rises to them and fights.
· Hamlet would experience some level of indecision, between his Father’s philosophy and the humanist philosophy.

As I typed the part about his guilt, I wondered if someone COULD take evidence like this, and run with the theory that Hamlet is gay (perhaps with Horatio? Additional evidence would be R&Gs snickering at "Man delights not me") and is feeling guilt for his sexuality, especially in comparison to his father.

Thoughts? I'm quite curious now. (although perhaps not in the same way as Hamlet MAY be :p)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I've seen a version where R&G were played by women, and the sexual undertones were definitely more apparent. However, I see little to suggest in what you've posted that his relationship with his father is the cause of homosexual desires or suppression. What about Ophelia as well.

I have heard some of this before, but I don't think the evidence you've given is substantial to make that claim.

herr0014

HSC
N/A
I'm not really trying to say anything, more looking for discussion. I don't think he is gay, and think those readings lack evidence.

Also, I'm more trying to say that if he was, he would feel guilt for not being like his father, not so much his father made him gay.

And no answer to the ophelia question, its one of the reasons I feel this reading desn't hold up.

theMoment

HSC
Well, Hamlet is a revenge tragedy..and gay means happy etc

So I don't see the correlation my learned friend

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I'm not really trying to say anything, more looking for discussion. I don't think he is gay, and think those readings lack evidence.

Also, I'm more trying to say that if he was, he would feel guilt for not being like his father, not so much his father made him gay.

And no answer to the ophelia question, its one of the reasons I feel this reading desn't hold up.
I've seen the idea floating that the character of Ophelia was a representation for a gay man. That's another homosexual reading that's going around.

herr0014

HSC
N/A
I've seen the idea floating that the character of Ophelia was a representation for a gay man. That's another homosexual reading that's going around.

...what? I'm extremely confused... lol. Tbh, I really don't think Shakespeare intended for hamlet to be gay.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It's all about interpreatation. The dramatic text is different to the theatrical portrayal. Hence, the characters can transform their characteristics in terms of directorial concepts.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I dont think it can be told by those examples alone.

But then again, i've heard shakespeare was gay so hamlet might be too?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
But then again, i've heard shakespeare was gay so hamlet might be too?
That's one of the primary reasons these homosexual readings exist.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Not me. If I did that, my uni course would be completely different.

herr0014

HSC
N/A
All in favour of travelling back in time and killing Shakespeare's mother, Write "I"

:)
Surely it'd be simpler to just kill shakespeare? Maybe this idea of matricide stems from a deep rooted jealousy... perhaps an OEDIPUS COMPLEX?!?! I'm onto you hamlet. You may have got a computer and boredofstudies account, but i can tell its you >.<:ninja:

vyre

HSC
Uhm, to be quite honest, I never considered it before. But when reading the play I never felt that there were those undertones.

In particular, Hamlets behaivour towards Ophelia seems to disregard this. In fact, the only sexual undertones the play seems to suggest are incestous, that Hamlet is obsessed with his mother (this is can be viewed in the scene when he confronts Gertrude with marrying his uncle after killing Polonius, about how he is obsessed with the image of his mother and his uncle in bed. He does not annouce 'I know my uncle is a murderer, and here is proof', he instead demands that she does not bed with him) although this interpretation has almost been demolished in the last 15 years or so...Also with Laertes and Ophelia there are undertones of incest, in the scene where Ophelia is being buried, Laertes pulls her up to hug her...

But I suppose it could be interpreted as Hamlet being gay...part of his guilt. However, it is a very...wishy-washy theory, as there is not much to back it up, so I wouldn't suggest using it in an essay or anything. Although one of the themes in Hamlet is his indecisiveness and he is accused of being 'unmanly' (Act 1, Scene 1, Claudius to Hamlet: 'tis unmaly grief...'), I don't think this is much of a basis to put this finding on. Nevertheless, keep looking into it if you think it's a possibility!

I'm so sorry this is so long :mad1: I feel so boring...

gesh17

HSC
N/A
Personally, I think it is a bit of a moot point. But if I had to comment, I'd probably say that he is neither interested in men or women; they become very much immaterial to him over the course of the play and are essentially overshadowed by more meaningful thematic concerns such as the mean mediocrity of man, the subjectivity of truth, etc.

That's just my opinion though. :)

brendroid

HSC
I would say that it's an interesting interpretation, but one that could be risky as well. You're also playing for the markers, and you'd need to build a strong and not a shakey 'maybe' case. If you can create a strong one, that'd be something you could use I guess.

vyre

HSC
Personally, I think it is a bit of a moot point. But if I had to comment, I'd probably say that he is neither interested in men or women; they become very much immaterial to him over the course of the play and are essentially overshadowed by more meaningful thematic concerns such as the mean mediocrity of man, the subjectivity of truth, etc.

That's just my opinion though. :)
I completley agree! Hamlet brings quite a bit of misogyny into the play too, probably due to the behaivour of his mother.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
did u guys all miss the bit where Hamlet n Ophelia talk about oral sex?

lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)