Is it important? (1 Viewer)

Noob1314

HSC
Is the SC important? I know a lot of people say that it's a bludge and that it doesn't really matter, but I heard that when you apply for your scholarship in Year 12, you won't have your ATAR marks yet and that they look at your SC results, as well as your reports.

Also, I was wondering if the syllabus for Year 11 and 12 changing? I want to buy some textbooks for Year 11, but my friend says that they're changing the syllabus next year. Is this true? If it is, would it be a waste of money if I still buy the textbooksfor Preliminary Bio and Chem?

Last edited:

klaris

HSC
No, it's not. My year ten marks haven't been mentioned once since the end of year ten. No one cares. No one mentions anything as to how they'll affect our future. They. Just. Don't Count.

It doesn't matter, at all. So, my advice is, enjoy year ten as much as possible. Bludge. Talk all lesson. Write lyrics in your notebooks instead of science notes. YOU WON'T NEED THEM. The exams are designed so EVERYONE in the state will pass.

The night before the exams I hadn't done any study, AT ALL. The only stuff was in class and because I had to. This isn't to say I'm a bad student; I'm not. But I knew then that the SC was completely worthless and didn't matter.

I got my results back and did fine; a 96 in English and a 90 something in History. Well, that's all I remember anyway. I literally guessed every single answer for my maths exam and I still got along quite fine.

So, have fun. Don't stress and do nothing; this will be your last year of doing so.

kaitmaree77

HSC
N/A
Nope, not really. My only advice is not to let your work ethic slip too far just because it doesn't count towards anything, because you'll still need those skills come year eleven and twelve and I regret not embracing them earlier!

Really, looking at some of the SCs handed out the day I received mine, it's more a matter of how far someone can conceivably push something before they fail it. It takes a lot. (They want you to pass it!)

So, like Klaris said, have fun, don't stress, enjoy! Save all of your stress for year twelve. Prelim is still pretty relaxed, but HSC Ancient is driving me nuts. :uhoh:

hscishard

HSC
Is the SC important? I know a lot of people say that it's a bludge and that it doesn't really matter, but I heard that when you apply for your scholarship in Year 12, you won't have your ATAR marks yet and that they look at your SC results, as well as your reports.

Also, I was wondering if the syllabus for Year 11 and 12 changing? I want to buy some textbooks for Year 11, but my friend says that they're changing the syllabus next year. Is this true? If it is, would it be a waste of money if I still buy the textbooksfor Preliminary Bio and Chem?
They most likely won't look at the sc. They'll look at your school report for year 12, maybe year 11.

On the board of studies website, chem's syllabus had a minor change. Not sure what it was though. Go to the website and look for the syllabi for your subjects.

Last edited:
HSC
I tell my friend whose in year 10 atm, It DOESN'T MATTER! seriously once you step into year 11, School Certificate never gets talked about in senior school, Just think about it as a end of year exam, and If your considering leaving then yeah It counts if you get high band marks, if your looking into employment instead of senior school. Oh god I wish I had somebody tell me that when I was in year 10, Oh wait I did! my ex boyfriend and I didn't believe him, he was going through his HSC and now I cling to every word he says for advice :)

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
don't listen to these fools

of course it's important. if you don't do well, you cannot complete your hsc. also, your employers are always keen to know how well you did in your sc.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Not really. However I know that a few scholarships do ask for your SC results. (Why I have no idea).
But as long as you do moderately well, year 11/12 marks would matter much more.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
The question is, is it important to you?

Is it important that you do your best at all times (no matter what others think)?
Is it important to you that others will see you as industrious and hard working (especially your teachers)?
Is it important to you that your teachers will want to give up on helping you if you give up on working (and that doesn't help for HSC because you have a reputation for a being a cruiser)?

Does it matter to you that you would have a blot on your personal record of having a poor SC when you could have had a good one because you were lazy and felt it didn't matter (believe me, it will make for regrets later in life)?

It's all about just doing your best at all times, no matter whether others care about the mark or not.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I was in the same predicament as you, a year ago. At the time I thought it was crucial to do well but once you enter year 11. Its a new threshold and the SC hasn't been mentioned yet.

jasonn

HSC
SC is as important as the shit that comes out of my ass.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)