Is it more effective to study with someone than studying alone? (1 Viewer)

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
it depends.

for maths, i sit next to my boyfriend in class and we combine knowledge on everything [which leads to serious gaps come test time], but it's also helpful because if you can't remember something you don't have to go searching through a textbook for how to do things. also, some people have awesome methods of doing things and you can learn from them.

other subjects, i wouldn't know because i don't really care about them haha.

TheStallion

HSC
Last Wednesday I studied in the library for 3 hours alone, and it has to have been one of the most productive days i've ever had when it comes to study.

Tangent

HSC
for HSIE and all that faculties work (the work outta textbook stuff) it is best to do in a group.
English you need to write lots of essays~alone, but study texts in group and have a discussion
Maths, its better if you do it alone, but have someone there to help you when you do need it.
Science is abit iffy, with physics like maths, and chem like HSIE

but thats just me, hope i helped

theMoment

HSC
Last Wednesday I studied in the library for 3 hours alone, and it has to have been one of the most productive days i've ever had when it comes to study.
How can you already be in ADFA when they require you to be 17 and have passes in Year 12 in English, Maths and two other subjects? (which you are doing for prelim?)

TheStallion

HSC
Where did I say I was attending ADFA right now? Being accepted assuming that the required ATAR is gained and actually attending are two totally different things.

Like you noticed - i'm in prelim year, so it's pretty darn obvious that i'm not at ADFA.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
When it's desperate time for cramming: On your own + textbook

More relaxed... doing earlier study: With friends

Maths: On your own for past papers, the rest is really good to see how other people approach questions.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
study in groups fail, unless your bored and want to have a good time. especially when you talk a lot, then it can distract heaps.

Last edited:

nqn

HSC
it depends

me and my friends test each other on japanese vocab.. it helps a lot and its fun

other from japanese, i like to study alone

JayNoob

zzz
HSC
I find myself distracted by my friends when trying to study, so I leave the group and just sit at a desk far away from everyone so it is all quiet enough to concentrate.

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on the subject, and who you're with.
Try both for every subject and see how you go?

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
I like to study by my self first, learn everything I have in my notes, like at home in the afternoons etc, while i'm getting everything into my head.
But then a couple of days before exams I think it's very beneficial to get together with friends, test each other, compare notes and fill in gaps. Especially from different classes, cos some teachers can teach different things and your teacher may not be setting the test. + you get to see other learning styles. Teaching others really helps too, its a great way to solidify knowledge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)