• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is it the government's role to evacuate people from Lebanon? (1 Viewer)

Is evacuation the role of the Australian government?

• Yes, but they are not doing enough right now.

Votes: 25 37.3%
  • Yes, and they are doing enough.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • No.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 6 9.0%

• Total voters

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Now I'm sure you've all heard that the Australian government are using buses and ferries and such to evacuate Australian citizens from Lebanon, but what I'd ask is if this is really the role of our government?

I'd suggest that the government's duty of care only extends to those within our borders, and by leaving Australia for a holiday (or they may even be living there on dual citizenships) you should acknowledge that you put yourself in the hands of the Lebanese government.

Anyway, discuss.

EDIT: Fuck, forgot an apostrophe in the title. :(

tres bien

you suck.
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Now I'm sure you've all heard that the Australian government are using buses and ferries and such to evacuate Australian citizens from Lebanon, but what I'd ask is if this is really the role of our government?

I'd suggest that the government's duty of care only extends to those within our borders, and by leaving Australia for a holiday (or they may even be living there on dual citizenships) you should acknowledge that you put yourself in the hands of the Lebanese government.

Anyway, discuss.

EDIT: Fuck, forgot an apostrophe in the title. :(
The government has to do what it can to help its citizens. I don't care if they are on holiday or living there on dual citizenships, they are still Australians. Why should people who go on holiday suffer if a war happens? This is just like any other situation, such as the Boxing Day tsunami. The government helped Australians then (or if they didn't, they should've), and they should help now.

I must ask, if by going to Lebanon they put themselves in the hands of the Lebanese government, what is the purpose of an Australian Embassy in Lebanon? There may as well be no embassy, if that is the case.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
To provide representation for Australian interests in Lebanon, such as trade etc.

People who go on holidays know that there may be a risk of a war occuring (especially in such a volatile region as the Middle East), but they go there anyway. They take a calculated risk, and most of the time it pays off, this time it hasn't and the situation is, to me, much like when the farmers have bumper crops for 10 years running but when one year there's a drought they stick their hand out for government subsidies.

The fact that they're Australians should be irrelevant because they went outside the Australian government's sphere of influence of their own choosing, and as such shouldn't be demanding its help to evacuate them.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
The government knows it has an obligation. It also knows that it's people who are not the most popular ethnic group of people in Australia, regardless of their status as Australian citizens.

gerhard

HSC
withoutaface said:
To provide representation for Australian interests in Lebanon, such as trade etc.

People who go on holidays know that there may be a risk of a war occuring (especially in such a volatile region as the Middle East), but they go there anyway. They take a calculated risk, and most of the time it pays off, this time it hasn't and the situation is, to me, much like when the farmers have bumper crops for 10 years running but when one year there's a drought they stick their hand out for government subsidies.
Except that worse case scenario for the farmers is they have to sell their farm and find another job. Worse case scenario for the Australians in Lebanon is that they die.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Mc_Meaney said:
In my opinion yes,

Even though as you said they are overseas, they remain Australian citizens. Simple
What if they're dual citizens who aren't paying Australian taxes?

takehomecopy

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
What if they're dual citizens who aren't paying Australian taxes?
Hence the perhaps slower less hurry and frenetic response of the Australian government.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
If they are there on a holiday then I think it is reasonable for the Australian government to help. Those who are Australian citizens and live over there should be on their own.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Before I discuss the issue I'll discuss the motive. John Howard is perceived as somewhat insular, and marred by the Tampa affair, seeks to rectify public opinion of himself. The only reason he is not perceived as heartless is because he seeks to return Australians back home in times of crisis. He cannot just return one set of Australian's over another or there'd be a public outcry. There'd be a public outcry if he chose inaction. This is why he needs to intervene because on issues such as Michelle Corby, by stating his views, it at least shows that he pays attention to the issues that normal Australians are.

Now back to what the actual role the government is required to do, it isn't. It is up the the figure head to decide whether 'Australians' should be returned to home soil. Even putting myself into their shoes... I don't believe the government is required to save me from my decision to go overseas. There will always be conflict, sudden and fatal where ever you go. Even if the chances of such occuring varies from country to country, YOU take the risk when you journey to foreign lands. YOU expect one thing but in life there will always be unexpected occurences. They should be responsible for themselves once they leave the country. It is out of Australian jurisdiction.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
well, i shall surprisingly be undecided on this one for respective reasons.

sure, John Howard should look after his citizens (if they are avoiding tax then it is the taxation system's fault. and they deserve it- which other country taxes you on your tax?) but there is no guarantee that there wont be an "accident" or "friendly fire" by the israelies, which would place Howard under more fire for not providing adequate safety for them. and an accident in this case would definately have a high casualty rate.

CorranSec

HSC
Considering the Israeli blockades, this isn't a situation that the average person can get themselves out of, even without the constant threat of bombings/rockets/etc.
If I was in Lebanon I would expect the embassy to fulfill its role of providing safe haven to nationals abroad. It can't exactly do that right now, due to the whole concept of 'collateral damage.' But the next best thing is to get out of the country, and I would expect the embassy and through it our government to do everything it can to help its citizens.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Needless to say WAF's heart bleeds little for Hicks

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
If you don't want to have some responsibility to your citizens whom may hold dual citizenship or not pay taxes, then simply make it that they are not citizens. If you want to call someone a citizen of your nation then you have a responsibility to assist them in crisis (of course this should be done with somewhat of a cost/benefit analysis).

IMO.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Benefits:

- Good PR (both domestic and international)
- Relatives at home stay happy
- Protects yourself from an easy attack from the opposition.
- Some might be hawt chix.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
i didnt know how to answer the poll

it seems that they've done enough RIGHT NOW, as in they've done all they could, but it was such a slow response its embarrassing- ill just vote the one that suggests that our govt is stupid

the initial response from canberra was : "stay where you are"

when it became apparent that the bombing raids can actually kill people, that mood changed

the americans are in that region
whatever happened to that good old- ANZUS treaty? the americans are evacuating 6000 of their people

they're just sucking us dry them yankees

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Iron said:
Needless to say WAF's heart bleeds little for Hicks
I think the amount of time Hicks has been in Guantanamo is ridiculous and would condemn the US for not giving him a trial already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)