Is it too late to turn it around? (1 Viewer)

Dashdorm24

HSC
I am doing the following subjects in a top ~228 School:

MX1
Eng ADV
PDH
Chem
Bio
SOR 1

For the past 2 tasks my marks have been sitting at average despite a top 3 rank in the first task of biology and a top 10 rank for Maths ADV, SOR and maybe PDH - ( we didn't get ranks yet but I got 2nd highest mark in the class) --> Basically I did pretty okay in the first tasks but now for the 2nd task I am hitting the average marks with some subjects like MX1 and Chem being slightly below which has probably pulled my decent ranking back in to the middle.

I only need an 80 atar for my UNI course but obviously I like to aim high so a 90 Atar would be great to open me up to much more opportunities. Is this still possible?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
You definitely have a chance to perform at a level that will allow you to achieve your desired ATAR (and possibly exceed your ATAR goal). Keep in mind that there are assessment tasks/exams that are yet to be completed, meaning that, given their significant weighting, you have a good opportunity to perform favourably, hopefully allowing you to improve your ranks across your subjects and consequently putting you in a better position as you approach your HSC exams.

Not only is favourable internal performance essential in terms of attaining a particular ATAR given the fact that the Assessment Mark contributes 50% of a student's HSC mark (high ranks play an important role in maximising this mark), but the value of HSC exams should not be overlooked, as an HSC exam contributes the remaining 50% of a student's HSC mark (i.e. final mark), meaning that this is also crucial to perform well in the HSC exams of your respective subjects, so as to maximise your chances of reaching your desired ATAR.

In doing so, you should probably prioritise your best performing subjects so that you can ensure optimal performance in those, while simultaneously attempting to improve your performance in your other subjects. The fact that you are taking 12 units may also be beneficial since you can manage your units in order of importance while avoiding the risk that would otherwise apply if you were taking 10 units. An 80 ATAR typically requires a few band 5's/E3's (the more the marks in that region, the higher the chance of receiving an 80 ATAR) whereas a 90 ATAR typically requires a combination of band 5's/E3's and band 6's/E4's. Of course, marks in the band 6 or band E4 region can create a substantial difference, irrespective of whether you are aiming for an 80 ATAR or a 90 ATAR.

I hope this helps! :D

Hello there
You should create a custom title about biology that displays under your username :cool:

vishnay

God
HSC
I am doing the following subjects in a top ~228 School:

MX1
Eng ADV
PDH
Chem
Bio
SOR 1

For the past 2 tasks my marks have been sitting at average despite a top 3 rank in the first task of biology and a top 10 rank for Maths ADV, SOR and maybe PDH - ( we didn't get ranks yet but I got 2nd highest mark in the class) --> Basically I did pretty okay in the first tasks but now for the 2nd task I am hitting the average marks with some subjects like MX1 and Chem being slightly below which has probably pulled my decent ranking back in to the middle.

I only need an 80 atar for my UNI course but obviously I like to aim high so a 90 Atar would be great to open me up to much more opportunities. Is this still possible?
90 will be easy just do well in externals

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
yakult said:
hi, i am currently doing the following subjects and was wondering if i could get an atar estimate.
i go to a top 10 school and i would prefer not to reveal the no of band 6s per subject for privacy.

english advanced 166/169
english extension 1 59/86
mathematics extension 1 42/130
mathematics extension 2 34/69
chemistry 7/90
economics 12/36

thanks in advance.
Considering the information that you have provided, I believe that your current performance is consistent with an ATAR between 94 and 96. With that being said, it is likely closer to a 96 ATAR than it is to a 94 ATAR.

Your performance in Chemistry, Economics and Mathematics Extension 1 seems favourable and will potentially make a positive contribution to your ATAR. It is therefore important that you maintain (and if possible, improve) your ranks in those subjects as you progress through the rest of your school-based assessment tasks/exams and approach your HSC exams.

On the other hand, your performance in English Advanced (mainly), English Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2 may possibly hinder your progress towards a 95+ ATAR (if you are aiming for one that is, although the latter subject probably has the lowest effect). Because of this, it is important that you focus on improving your ranks in those subjects in order to attain a more favourable internal position. As I mentioned, this is particularly relevant to English Advanced, given the fact that your best 2 units of English will count towards your ATAR. Consequently, English Advanced may contribute either 1 unit (provided your performance in English Extension 1 is of a sufficiently high level) or 2 units. In both cases, your ATAR may be impacted given your current performance in this subject.

Of course, it is important to keep in mind that the HSC exams contribute 50% of your HSC marks, meaning that they constitute a significant opportunity to improve your overall performance, which will hopefully assist you in achieving your ATAR goal.

I hope this helps! :D

netflixwatcher

HSC
N/A
Mainly because I'm clueless but won't your adv eng rank greatly affect your overall ATAR? Or is it sorta neutralised bcos you go to a top 10 school? @jimmysmith560 feel free to correct me

vishnay

God
HSC
hi, i am currently doing the following subjects and was wondering if i could get an atar estimate.
i go to a top 10 school and i would prefer not to reveal the no of band 6s per subject for privacy.

english advanced 166/169
english extension 1 59/86
mathematics extension 1 42/130
mathematics extension 2 34/69
chemistry 7/90
economics 12/36

thanks in advance.
if it's top 10 than u can prolly get 96-97+ if u do well in externals

ik ppl who were close to bottom in english and had worse ranks in maths (adjusting for school ranking ofc) and still got 95+

chem, econ and mx1 r pretty strong just try and pull ur eng rank up a bit more

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Mainly because I'm clueless but won't your adv eng rank greatly affect your overall ATAR? Or is it sorta neutralised bcos you go to a top 10 school? @jimmysmith560 feel free to correct me
Given the fact that a student's best 2 units of English will always count towards their ATAR, HSC English subjects will always exert some form of influence on a student's ATAR. However, the fact that this student is also taking English Extension 1 means that 2 units of English Advanced may not necessarily count towards OP's ATAR - there is the event that English Extension 1 contributes 1 unit of English, meaning that English Advanced would count as 1 unit in this case (i.e. 1 unit of English Advanced + 1 unit of English Extension 1 = 2 units of English). Of course, this depends on OP's level of performance in each subject. This means that, if this student ends up performing well overall in English Advanced and/or does not perform at the same level in English Extension 1, English Advanced will likely contribute 2 units towards OP's ATAR. Conversely, if this student performs well overall in English Extension 1 and/or does not perform at the same level in English Advanced, each course will contribute 1 unit respectively, resulting in 2 units of English.

The fact that this student attends a highly ranked school means that they are part of an academically capable cohort. To illustrate this, a student who ranks 50/100 in a particular subject at a highly ranked school is likely in a superior internal position when compared to a student who achieves the same rank in a lower ranked school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)