Is it true uni is more relaxing than HSC year? (1 Viewer)

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
And you forgot about the freedom that being in Uni gives you :)

brunx

HSC
haha yeah, that's right

do they still have that maximum formula as well, for your final grade? where the quizzes only count if they benefit you?

so what high school maths did you do? dw, 1110 is all pretty simple once you get it, u shud be ok for the exam with a bit of work
hmm they do have a formula where they can weight your final mark 50-50 or 40-60 (quizzes to exam), whichever is higher.
i did 4 unit - which ive found is good for background knowledge, but not really compensating for my laziness.

jellybelly59

HSC
yeah uni is not as relaxing as hsc - at first it was deadly demotivating to get a 7 or 8 out of 10 when you worked your brains out on it and apparently the highest was 8.5. Another really demotivating factor is when people just kick ass and they put in what seems like zero effort - you get a lot of those rare geniuses at uni. Have to be really independent and travel times are draining. BUT workload is ok if you're consistent - if not you'll die pre-exam and assessments IMO.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
networking and extracurriculars bro :cool:

grades dont' mean shit
Good grades + extracurricular activities + networking are desirable. Grades do matter. If you don't know your stuff well, you're not going to be looked upon favourably. Most companies I've talked to at careers events require at least a credit average to be acceptable in terms of academic abilities. One of my friends has a pass average and he asked some companies whether or not he has a chance to enter some of their graduate programs and most them said he has a very slim chance. He is now considering other options in studying as a consequence.
While grades are not the be all end all employers have admitted that they don't look upon people with just pass grades favourably even with many extracurricular activities, particularly when a large number of applicants they receive have good extracurricular activities as well as good grades. If you want to get employed into a good paying reputable company you need to be strong in BOTH academics and extracurricular stuff.

Last edited:

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
hmm they do have a formula where they can weight your final mark 50-50 or 40-60 (quizzes to exam), whichever is higher.
i did 4 unit - which ive found is good for background knowledge, but not really compensating for my laziness.
ooh, ok... lol, u'd think with 4 unit it'd be too easy!

aussie-boy

HSC
Uni is 1000x times better than year 12 (Com/Law perspective)

Much, much, less work than yr 12, though slightly more difficult. Basically if you understand shit fast, you're set. There's no tedious drills, exercises or mountains of essays to do -

My study consists of class (12hrs a week if I cbf to attend) + 2hrs/week outside of class + 2 days of constant work/all nighters before assessments/exams, about 4 times a semester.

HSC was way more time intensive and stressful than that

lychnobity

HSC
some people i know say that uni is SO much stressful than HSC but then i have people saying that once you finish your HSC and you go uni all this stress is gone cause uni is more relaxing.
which is true?
No no no no no! Uni >>>>>>>>>> HSC

Assessment frequency x 10000000

Workload x 300000

FutureSight01

IS NOT ASIAN!
HSC
Uni is 1000x times better than year 12 (Com/Law perspective)

Much, much, less work than yr 12, though slightly more difficult. Basically if you understand shit fast, you're set. There's no tedious drills, exercises or mountains of essays to do -

My study consists of class (12hrs a week if I cbf to attend) + 2hrs/week outside of class + 2 days of constant work/all nighters before assessments/exams, about 4 times a semester.

HSC was way more time intensive and stressful than that
+1, just without the law and the all-nighters in HS. Getting closer to doing them in uni than I was in HS. Also, I do a bit more work in uni than you do I'm thinking.

aussie-boy

HSC
^^^ If you're intelligent, you can get high credits/D's without doing much at all. You can't get 96 in the HSC by rocking up to lectures and doing assessments/study the night before

EDIT: Depending on the course... commerce is a bludge, science will steal your soul

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
well yea, i would imagine uni is much harder than high school thus why its called Tertiary education. Just as the gap from primary - secondary etc. :)

HSC
^^^ If you're intelligent, you can get high credits/D's without doing much at all. You can't get 96 in the HSC by rocking up to lectures and doing assessments/study the night before

This is so true. I got 92 in year 12 with not that much effort, the same lack of effort has so far given me a D average.

Arts/commerce student though :p

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
It depends. At Uni things tends to happen in 'bursts', and then there is long periods of absolute nothingness.

cassiecocaine

HSC
I think uni is less relaxing than hsc year do a few reasons.
One, is the idea of 'bludging' a few periods in a week in year 12. For me, it was always ancient history. It was a very fun class, but there's not really a 'fun' or 'bludging' class in uni. There are classes I enjoy, but for different reasons.
Two, is the amount of workload you take home at the end of a uni day is always 36373463 times more than year 12. To be perfectly honest, I did shit all in year 12 in terms of homework. But with uni, if you don't keep up, you fall behind, and there's not really any teachers that you can ask to get you up to speed. You have to do everything on you own. Finding out exam days/times/classrooms is Completley your responsiblity.
And assessments pile up all at the same time. And it's alot harder to pass. And you can't plagerise.
As you can tell, I'd rather be in year 12 again.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lollawz a joke

science + engineering is where it's at

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Depends on how you look at it.

The way I see it, each semester is an intense 13 weeks, while 26 weeks a year sounds easy and like it would be less work you'd learn more than a whole HSC subject in each unit of study you do.

Its usually more enjoyable because its independant study where you are interested in the content.

You just learn how to deal better, people don't cut you as much slack as they did during the HSC so you learn that life doesn't stop because you have an exam, thus you manage your time better etc.

All this said it really depends on your course, with arts I put in half as much effort as I do with law and got D's/HD's as opposed to Cs/Ds

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)