Is it worth doing a double degree? (1 Viewer)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
You have a point there.
That said, I enjoy Chemistry and it's one of my favourite subjects...I also enjoy Maths. However, I'm not a fan of Physics and I'm impartial towards Biology....I'm not doing either of the latter two in the HSC. This is one of the reasons why I'm hesitant towards a double degree, as I'm afraid that I'll stuff up the Phy/Bio part, despite enjoying the Chem/Maths part.
Um... if you do a science degree majoring in, say, chemistry, the biology and physics component will be as small as you want (even zero, I suspect).

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Um... if you do a science degree majoring in, say, chemistry, the biology and physics component will be as small as you want (even zero, I suspect).
Correct. I'm not having to touch chem or bio ever again except if I choose them to fill up some free electives (for which I can do almost any subject from anywhere) and I'm pursuing a maths/physics major.

doe

HSC
N/A
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Would a BSci (major in Maths) help with an occupation in Finance?
sure 3 years of finance and 2 years of maths would help, but would it help more than a 3 year degree in applied finance and 2 years of real experience? if you're already doing something thats gonna pay the bills, and you have the time to do a double degree, do something that you can really enjoy.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
~ ReNcH ~ said:
I'm hestitant about doing Actuarial as I'm unsure as to whether I'd enjoy it. That said, I haven't completely eliminated it as an option. I'm definitely going to major in Finance...the second is undecided though. Would a BSci (major in Maths) help with an occupation in Finance? I can understand that it would help with Actuarial, but what about the other Commerce majors?

Btw. Minai, what major would you reccomend? If I can't decide, I'll most likely stick with the safe option of an Accting/Fin major.
If you want to major in Finance, I'd say go for the double and get a Maths/Stats major as well. Finance will be your basis for a career, and the maths/stats not only compliments and develops necessary skills you need for a investment banking career, but it's something (that I think) you'd enjoy doing anyway (since you do 4U Maths now)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
ive come to expect most ppl entering investment banking to have some kind of combined degree with law, especially comm/law. however, it seems banks and other management consulting firms have also hired math graduates because they think they have strong lateral thinking skills. on the whole, does ur degree really matter in the end? or is there some unspoken bias for those with comm/law degrees?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Slide Rule said:
1st year uni would involve all three sciences though.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
I'm hestitant about doing Actuarial as I'm unsure as to whether I'd enjoy it. That said, I haven't completely eliminated it as an option. I'm definitely going to major in Finance...the second is undecided though. Would a BSci (major in Maths) help with an occupation in Finance? I can understand that it would help with Actuarial, but what about the other Commerce majors?

Btw. Minai, what major would you reccomend? If I can't decide, I'll most likely stick with the safe option of an Accting/Fin major.
actuarial is apparently boring...however im enjoying it...its like a different kind of maths to 4u, and um there a hell of a lot of probability but at uni they teach it better so u can actaully do it...its just statistics thats a little bit boring...u shud read up on actuarial on the net and see if it appeals to u...
also consider what u want to do as a profession, i.e do u want to become a quant, an investment banker or an actuary//

doe

HSC
N/A
imo theres not much demand for quants in aus. think seriously about it. you'd also be competing with people who have phds in maths and physics who have decided the academic life isnt for them, which is where quants historically came from. its not just rumour, my mate is doing a phd in physics and he says the banks make it known to them they can always find work there.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
1st year uni would involve all three sciences though.
Only if they are prerequisites, which I doubt they would be for most chem later units.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Doe, you're partially correct. Such people are accepted with open arms, yes, but there's still not enough people with quantitative skills, hence a high deman for them.

doe

HSC
N/A
Slide Rule said:
Doe, you're partially correct. Such people are accepted with open arms, yes, but there's still not enough people with quantitative skills, hence a high deman for them.
where is this high demand? do a search on seek or career one, and you only get 1 or 2 hits, and those positions want people with 3 years+ analyst experience.

once you reach that level of experience, your degree(s) matter much less.

i would agree that there is strong demand for them in london and new york though, just not in australia, cause the market is so small here, and it is a secondary financial market.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
doe is correct, quants r more in demand overseas (new york, london etc), in the leading financial cities...hell, even actuaries r better off overseas....u neva know the demand cud develop here but still...and mind u its really frikn hard

X

xeuyrawp

ur_inner_child said:
sorry, but four years is enough for me. not to mention expensive enough.
Lol, I don't even know how long I'm going to be at Macq- I've got Honours I have to do, as well as the bloody long law degree. :(

erock

HSC
Hey can I have some advice...

Hey I would like some advice on double degrees and whether its worth it etc... I am listed down to do a Music / Business (IT Major) double degree! Now im not sure if thats an interesting combo..

I really enjoy music, and computers etc etc.. But business im not too excited about, but will put up with it anyways lol ;) just to do it in a double. Plus i was never the greatest maths student in school, actually.... i really sucked!

Any thoughts on this combo..?

I did think on teaching, but i have no real desire... Im doing the music, just out of fun and enjoyment mostly (because its literally impossible to get work in music industry) and also business (IT) really only because i like computers, and the IT industry and figure that a business degree will put u in a good place to for lots of those kind of jobs...

Some history.. i already have 2 certificate IV's in Client Support (IT) and WebDesign..

What you think?

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
for all those ppl bickering about com/sci and that the commerce is diluted, let me set you straight..... Porbably the part that is diluted the most is the electives that you can take from other faculties...which are (lets face it) just credit point fillers anyway. Both degrees do actually take 3 years each, if you think about it, because you split your 3-4 commerce junior core subjects (accounting, economics, buisness information systems and Econometrics) over 3 years...so you actually do more work than most ppl (5 subjects per semester in year 1).

You do a science degree as normal, and complete it over the 3 years, and you do the final 2 years of your commerce degree in years 4 and 5. So you really don't lose too much

Yes, I think it does depend on what majors you choose.... I'm doing psychology for science and either management or marketing for commerce. I decided to do a double degree firstly because I don't really know exactly what I want to do as a job...therefore I am broadening my career options. Plus, I have a strong interest in both subjects, so it is rewarding for me anyway

KD

HSC
N/A
Double degrees should not be for those who aren't sure what they want to do. Arts, Science etc are already broad enough. Only do them if you have a good reason. For example if you have a job in mind where you would gain a significant benefit from it or where you really enjoy something else outside youor core degree (e.g. a language).

Consider also that once you're working it is really your work experience that counts (it's like your UAI, once you're in your degree who cares what you got) so you are often better off using the extra year or two in a full time job rather than studying for another degree. Secondly you may be better off doing one degree and then once your working and know where you are going you can do a relevant Masters part time. Your company may even pay for it.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
KD said:
Secondly you may be better off doing one degree and then once your working and know where you are going you can do a relevant Masters part time. Your company may even pay for it.
On that note, I'm trying to weigh up an extra year at uni (doing a double degree) against a full year's salary + experience + possibly a year of my Masters degree completed.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
KD said:
Double degrees should not be for those who aren't sure what they want to do. Arts, Science etc are already broad enough. Only do them if you have a good reason. For example if you have a job in mind where you would gain a significant benefit from it or where you really enjoy something else outside youor core degree (e.g. a language).

Consider also that once you're working it is really your work experience that counts (it's like your UAI, once you're in your degree who cares what you got) so you are often better off using the extra year or two in a full time job rather than studying for another degree. Secondly you may be better off doing one degree and then once your working and know where you are going you can do a relevant Masters part time. Your company may even pay for it.
although we tend to be money focused and career oriented, we should also reocgnise that we are at our intellectual peak until our late 20s. most physicists and mathematicians who did their phds following their undergrad degree made their greatest contributions in this age gap. there will always be jobs if u do well enough and have the communication skills to make the most of your achievements but you only get one chance in life to hit the peak of your academic life intellectually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)