Is it worth doing Adv. english if it only ups your uai by 0.4? (1 Viewer)

Guesss

HSC
On the SAM calculator i tried the same values for all my subjects and played around with english...n i found each tym that Advanced English is only upped by o.4 in the UAI compared to Standard???

I don't know whether its worth all the extra effort???

I'd really appriciate any advice...:)

PrettyVacant

HSC
Lol you realise it's a lot harder to get say, 90 in std english than 90 in advanced english?

DIDN'T THINK OF IT THAT WAY DID YOU?! DID YOU?!?!?!

Srsly only a handful of people in the state who do Std English get a band 6 VS thousands of Adv English kids.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Adv. and standard are pretty much the same in difficulty anyway, assuming youre not a retard.

Guesss

HSC
Hey thanx everyone for the relplies..i think i might go wif advanced n if i can't cope i'll drop it at the end of year 11!!!
Just one thing i don't get is......how could it b harder 2 get 90 in standard than in advance if it's content is supposed to be well "advanced"????

Last edited:

bubblesss

HSC
On the SAM calculator i tried the same values for all my subjects and played around with english...n i found each tym that Advanced English is only upped by o.4 in the UAI compared to Standard???

nooo stay with advanced!!!!!
it is really worth it...because standard scales u down rly bad...and as ppl say..its extremely hard to get a band 6 in standard english.
if u see the past years statistics only around the top 0.1% (approximately) in state get a band 6 in standard..whereas in advanced its way more.
so dont drop to standard:spzz:

Schoey93

HSC
It is worth doing English Adv. This assertion has NOTHING to do with scaling however.

ENGLISH ADVANCED AND ENGLISH STANDARD ARE ALWAYS SCALED IN THE SAME WAY - because they contain a common AOS (Paper 1 is common across the two courses).

HOWEVER, English Standard students tend to bomb out in Paper 1, and then get decent marks in Paper 2. This causes the course candidature to become "worse" than the course candidature for English Advanced. The two courses are STILL scaled exactly the same, but because the English Standard candidature is less able, they are awarded fewer high marks and only about 30 - 40 Band Sixes (1% of the 45000 students who choose to study NSW HSC English Standard). I believe there are about 1000 Band Sixes in English Advanced every year from approx. 20000 students, i.e. approx. 5%.

All that I said above has absolutely nothing to do with why Advanced is worthwhile. You are always encouraged by your teachers to choose the course best suited to your ability. If you were not in English 1 or English 2 (the top Year 10 classes), then I recommend that you "drop" down to Standard. If you have a passion for English - do Advanced, or possibly even Extension 1 - which has much more interesting themes and topics that Adv.

James :)

Last edited:

Guesss

HSC
Thanx 4 the advice everyone.... :)

BTW, love the smili going spazzo!

Ohh and James is it? how do u noe so much ur in year 10! :) Thanx 4 tha statistics btw.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
It is worth doing English Adv. This assertion has NOTHING to do with scaling however.

ENGLISH ADVANCED AND ENGLISH STANDARD ARE ALWAYS SCALED IN THE SAME WAY - because they contain a common AOS (Paper 1 is common across the two courses).

HOWEVER, English Standard students tend to bomb out in Paper 1, and then get decent marks in Paper 2. This causes the course candidature to become "shitter" than the course candidature for English Advanced. The two courses are STILL scaled exactly the same, but because the English Standard candidature is less able, they are awarded fewerr high marks and only about 30 - 40 Band Sixes. I believe there are about 2,500 Band Sixes in English Advanced every year from approx. 25,000 students, i.e. approx. 10%.

All that I said above has absolutely nothing to do with why Advanced is worthwhile. You are always enecouraged by your teachers to choose the course best suited to your ability. If you were not in English 1 or English 2 (the top Year 10 classes), then I recommend that you "drop" down to Standard. If you have a passion for English - do Advanced, or possibly even Extension 1 - which has much more interesting themes and topics that Adv.

James :)
what the fuck, i thought standard+adv did paper 1, and paper 2 is only done by adv

or am i mising something

HSC
what the fuck, i thought standard+adv did paper 1, and paper 2 is only done by adv

or am i mising something
missing something :p
they do the common paper 1 which is the AOS.
then they do different paper 2 :)

Schoey93

HSC
Thanx 4 the advice everyone.... :)

BTW, love the smili going spazzo!

Ohh and James is it? how do u noe so much ur in year 10! :) Thanx 4 tha statistics btw.
Yes, I'm James... I just read a lot. What I said was really just based on what other people on this forum have said before.

The smiley going spazzo? You mean this one? :spzz:
:)

Last edited:

lou071

HSC
N/A

yep! it is worth it!

Kiim2507

HSC
Yeah
I don't really think English Adv is THAT much harder then standard....you basically have to do the same stuff anyway.
I would go with Advanced
At the begining of year 12 I seriously considered dropping down to standard but at the last minute on the advice of my teacher I stuck with advanced and I'm really really glad I did.

HSC
Reason why few people in Std get into the higher bands is because more of the English competent students that are likely to be Adv rather than Std

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)