Is It Worth Doing Med? (1 Viewer)

missawesome

HSC
Hey guys!
Hope you're all having a lovely holiday.

I'm in a bit of dilemma because I don't know whether I want to do med and do the umat and med entry. I do relatively well at school but it is a lot of money and I don't really know what I want to do in uni. I'm aiming for an ATAR of 98 + (I'm not aiming too high) with a degree in either media, commerce, law or science.

I'll like to keep my options open but it's a lot of money and a lot of hard work so I don't know whether it's worth it. I do 3u maths, 3u english, chemistry, physics and economics.

Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks ^^

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
From the degrees that you seem to be interested in, medicine is not exactly on the top of your list. I think the best way to resolve your dilemma is to not consider the expectation of your teachers/peers/parents for a moment, and really reflect on what you really want to do. Perhaps writing a pros and cons list for each the degrees you want to do will help to clarify your mind. You are the only one deciding whether it is worth trying out for medicine. Maybe try to talk to your career advisor next term to get some professional opinion.

Just imagine, at the end of the year, you Atar is high enough to allow you to get a degree in either media, commerce, law or science or a combination, will you regret the fact that you didn't do the umat and didn't try for getting into medicine? Are you willing to genuinely commit a prolonged period of time in studying about the human body and undertaken relevant clinical training to help save the lives of people?

You really should share a very strong interest in human biology to enjoy Medicine. Although right now you have not chosen biology as a HSC subject, ask yourself are you interested in learning biology of the human body on a macroscopic and microscopic scale for several years?

I think perhaps answering a few of the above questions yourself might help to resolve your dilemma. I hope you are enjoying a productive and relaxing holiday, hope this helped and I wish you all the best for your HSC year-may you get into the university course you desire studying the things you enjoy:)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Do you mean the umat costs too much?

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Don't worry, a lot of my friends are in the same boat as you: high ATAR aims, but no real clear choice or direction of what they want to do.

TBH, from the sounds of it, I think you're kind of playing with the idea of doing med. I think if you really wanted to do med, stuff like UMAT shouldn't deter you (I live by the philosophy of when there's a will, there's a way). It doesn't sound like you have a true passion for med, either. I think you should ask yourself what are the main reasons you want to do med, and if they don't sound like strong enough motivators or reasons, you should consider doing something else.

What are your interests? It sounds like you could probably go into engineering with the subjects you do (phys, chem, 3u maths), adv. science/math (phys, chem, 3u math) and potentially economics/finance type of disciplines (eco, 3u maths).

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
if med is an option for u then definitely do UMAT just cos if u get in the situation where later in the year you decide you really want to do it, you won't regret not doing UMAT

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Hard work pays off if you are successful, do what is necessary to achieve your goals no matter the price. You cannot put a price on your future.

andySBHS2014

HSC
It's only worth it if you truly have a passion for it, otherwise you'll just be working as an underpaid slave during the years of your training. Sure it gives you a nice reputation and salary, but it requires a lot of sacrifices, especially in the internship and residency years. I wanted to for a period of time, but decided against it after researching further

Choose carefully because this is what you'll be doing for most of your life

studybuddy101

HSC
you've still got a shopping list of interests, luckily you also have a whole year to figure out what it is you really want. Focus on getting the best marks you can and when UMAT rolls around only sit the exam if you genuinely want to do medicine, as corny as it sounds it'll just feel right when the time comes (if you don't feel it or are still on the fence then it's probably not for you).

Take some time to research each of the fields you're interested in so you can start narrowing things down (never completely eliminate possibilities though, sometimes you wake up thinking you want to do one thing then the next morning you'll feel completely different). Watch videos, read articles and even check websites like http://cusp.sydney.edu.au to see the exact subjects you'll be taking and any additional info that'll get you a step closer to finding what it is in this life that you want to live for. Good luck mate (Y)

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
If you can see yourself being happy/satisfied doing another degree/career then med not for you.

watapple

HSC
after you past the umat test its not over yet, theres an interview which is very competitive, only a few make it in if they have the required atar as well

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
know that you will one day be responsible for the death of someone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)