Is it worth it to buy an access card? (1 Viewer)

do u find the access card useful?

• yes

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • no

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters

funnytomato

HSC
like I'm not sure whether or not I should get one of those.

do you find it useful/neccesary?

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
An ACCESS CARD is basically paying $100+ a year to spend more money at uni.

Sure you get food discounts, but it isn't that much and you're spending $100+ to get those discounts.

Most clubs have facebook pages that notify you when events are on and you can join without being a member. Most club events also allow NON ACCESS MEMBERS to join in the activities for a slightly higher price than the members price.

Some clubs do not have facebook pages but if you have friends in those clubs or sign up for email alerts you can be alerted when events are on.

ACCESS basically allows you to join clubs but you also have to pay a fee to join clubs eg $10.

Tbh its quite crap.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
If you normally frequently purchase items at uni, then the savings do add up over the entire year. E.g. Even if you save only $2 per day in purchases on average, then over 2 semesters in a year this leads to a saving of 2 x 5 x 26 = $260 hence more than reimbursing the purchase price.

If you don't plan to spend much at uni then don't bother getting it. The whole point of the ACCESS card is so that USU can get some extra funds ever since the abolition of VSU.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
I worked out I lost about $50 on access last term. But i dont buy much at uni

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
hm, what do we buy at uni ? like food? are they like really expensive?
In general yeah but if you're used to cafe food and 8$ rolls then you will be okay. I normally get newtown thai for $6 or I eat in Broadway.

funnytomato

HSC
on what items can we save money by having the card? like food?

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
Basically almost everything on campus. Some places don't accept the card. For example our subway near scitech.

At manning we have cafe style food, coffees, teas etc, chinese, mexican, icecream and a gourmet sandwich place. Upstairs you have manning bar that does good burgers (i think you get a discount there).

All around campus there are these little coffee hubs that also sell snacks, other drinks and icecreams.

When you go towards scitech you have subway, a coffee shop, donut king, fruit juice places, crepe places, kebabs etc, canteen style food, sushi and more cafe things.

jet

Banned
HSC
Basically almost everything on campus. Some places don't accept the card. For example our subway near scitech.
Subway has little access logos next to the subs you can use it on. It's pretty much everything except the cheapest ones. The catch is that if you buy a meal and not just the sub on it's own, you can't use access anymore. It's a bunch of crap imo.

The canteen is gone in Wentworth as well. They replaced it with this snack place which is pretty much what it was before but without the canteen bit.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I think Access is still worth it. *shrug*

izzy88

HSC
I think its worth it. The discount saves money on food etc it also gets you the free subscription to the SMH for the year (ie. pick up the paper for free from uni on weekdays, and delivered to your house on weekends). It also has discounts at lots of food places off campus eg. along king st and broadway.

I think its more worth it for the clubs though. Whatever people say, the clubs are only supposed to let people join if they have an access card- this makes sense to me- the USU supports all the clubs financially, so it makes sense that only people join who have joined the USU.

However, that said, yes you can go to events run by clubs without being an access card member, but it is always more expensive then if you have an access card. Also, this doesn't work for musical clubs etc because the 'events' are the rehearsals- so if you want to play in a musical club eg. the symphony orchestra, wind orchestra, choir etc you will need to have an access card and join the club. (Although obviously you can go to their concerts without being an access card member).

The other thing, is that being a member of clubs is a great way to meet people- and being on committee of a club you like, helping to run it etc is lots of fun and a great experience- and you need an access card for this. I think the clubs and societies program is great, and I want to support the USU- so I think the $90 is worth it.

My advice- go along to O-Week next week- check out the clubs- if you see ones you want to join, then go get an access card. O-Week is put on by the USU and it should be great, and lots of uni students spend those three days of O-Week putting on a good show, and then spend time and effort throughout the year trying to make great events for their club members. I've had about 5 meetings over the holidays, numerous emails/phone calls organising some great events for the club i'm on the committee for- its all voluntary obviously, but its fun, and ends up being a great experience.

Last edited:

funnytomato

HSC
how much does the food cost ? and how much do we save by having the card?

izzy88

HSC
how much does the food cost ? and how much do we save by having the card?
the food costs differently depending on what you buy and where you buy it from. I can't give an exact comparison. However generally the access card discount is 15%

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
Subway has little access logos next to the subs you can use it on. It's pretty much everything except the cheapest ones. The catch is that if you buy a meal and not just the sub on it's own, you can't use access anymore. It's a bunch of crap imo.

The canteen is gone in Wentworth as well. They replaced it with this snack place which is pretty much what it was before but without the canteen bit.
nooooooo i liked the canteen. oh yes i forgot that about subway. I only ever get vegie delites :(

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
OP, if you want to join clubs and you intend on going to uni everyday and buying food get it.

Deathless

HSC

At manning we have cafe style food, coffees, teas etc, chinese, mexican, icecream and a gourmet sandwich place. Upstairs you have manning bar that does good burgers (i think you get a discount there).

All around campus there are these little coffee hubs that also sell snacks, other drinks and icecreams.

When you go towards scitech you have subway, a coffee shop, donut king, fruit juice places, crepe places, kebabs etc, canteen style food, sushi and more cafe things.
TBH, I think the meal deal is cheaper than an Access purchased sub. I bought an Acess sub and someone bought the meal and I think the price was the same.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Basically it's worth it if you'll be eating on campus regularly. I have lunch at Manning at least once a week, and if I buy a couple of schooners and a meal then Access saves me about $2-3. Plus a couple of times a week I grab a coffee and/or lunch from a Union outlet which adds to the total. Overall I probably save about $5-8 a week, so it pays for itself over the year. However, if you plan to bring lunch from home or eat off-campus most of the time then it's probably not worth the money.

funnytomato

HSC
any more opinions? cos the vote is like 50% vs 50% , and I can't really buy half a card

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Tell us your circumstances. How many days are you at uni? Do you intend to bring lunch from home? Do you intend on joining Clubs and Socs?

izzy88

HSC
any more opinions? cos the vote is like 50% vs 50% , and I can't really buy half a card
I don't think its worth making a decision based on the comments of 13 people on an online site. Go to O-week on wednesday/thurs or friday and check out the clubs and societies and the food options on campus, then make a decision.

Or give us a little bit more information on your circumstances...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)