Is sport compulsory? (1 Viewer)

mailata

HSC
N/A
It's not counted as a unit, they let mathematics extension 1 students be excluded from it, as they have the extension classes during sport.

When I think about it logically, there should be no difference between an english extension student and a mathematics one, so why let the maths one be excluded from sport?

Does the board of studies say sport is compulsory?

Also, now that we are in the last term, we are doing the year 12 course. They say sport is still compulsory, so what's going on?

ps this is a public school

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
mailata said:
It's not counted as a unit, they let mathematics extension 1 students be excluded from it, as they have the extension classes during sport.

When I think about it logically, there should be no difference between an english extension student and a mathematics one, so why let the maths one be excluded from sport?
When you think about it logically, it would be because the maths extension classes are during sport, no? That's probably where they fit best into the timetable.

mailata

HSC
N/A
But that would mean that the board of studies does not say t is compulsory. Think about it, if english was at the same time as another subject they cannot cancel english, because it is compulsory and the board of studies says so.

So what I mean is that if sport was compulsory then having another subject at the same time shouldn't mean you don't have to do it.

Last edited:

e-star!09

HSC
mailata said:

Does the board of studies say sport is compulsory?

Also, now that we are in the last term, we are doing the year 12 course. They say sport is still compulsory, so what's going on?

ps this is a public school
at my school (also a public school) we were told that the board of studies said that sport was compulsory from years 7-11. So for the first 3 terms this year, we had to do sport every tuesday, and nothing else was allowed to be timetabled in that time (they get angry at u if u have a doctors appointment during sport =.="). But now that it's term 4, as year 12, we don't do sport anymore, so we get the tuesday afternoons off! woohoo

ShaunaJean

HSC
At my school we never did sport in year 11, so I think its compulsry for yrs 7- 10

HSC
N/A
i think its compulsory for yrs 7 - 11, and in yr 12 its optional - thats how it is at my school. so i dont think i'll be doing sport this term...

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The BOS mandates a certain amount of PE for Years 7 - 10 but says nothing about Years 11 and 12.

At my school Years 11 and 12 don't do sport at all.

k150764

HSC
At my school sport is compulsory in yr 7~yr 11
and no sport for yr 12

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
As far as I know, sport is a requirement of the Years 7-10 PDHPE syllabus. However, many schools have a school-level requirement that year 11 students participate in sport.

At my school, year 11 can choose to do sport or to just take a free, and of course there's the extension courses and Entertainment Industries that run over that time. Most of the people who don't do extensions or EI just take a free.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
No, it is not compulsory by the Board of Studies.

chltmddus112

HSC
for GPS schools, lyk mine, its compulsory.

You got 2 trainings per week after school

and a game on saturday

u-borat

Banned
HSC
it didnt use to be compulsory at my school in year 12, but then noone did it so they had to change it so it was. :(

mailata

HSC
N/A
Okay, now I am 100% sure that the board of studies doesn't force year 11 to do sport. Now the question is, can the school force me to do sport which is not a compulsory subject, and which does not count as a unit?

Schools can't force you to choose an extra subject so how is this any different? Lots of people leave anyway but the school is feeding us lies about the board of study requiring sport, which is clearly not true.

Last edited:

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
ffs

no the board of studies (a bunch of ppl who write syllabi) doesn't make you do sport in years 11 and 12

but

your school can make sport compulsory
so that if you wanna go to that school, you have to do sport

and no you can't run to the board of studies and say "my school's making me do sport but it's not compulsory!"
it would be equivalent to something like
complaining to the board of studies that roll call or assembly aren't compulsory (i.e. written by the BoS in some way) therefore you should be allowed to go study during them -_-

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
mailata said:
Okay, now I am 100% sure that the board of studies doesn't force year 11 to do sport. Now the question is, can the school force me to do sport which is not a compulsory subject, and which does not count as a unit?

Schools can't force you to choose an extra subject so how is this any different? Lots of people leave anyway but the school is feeding us lies about the board of study requiring sport, which is clearly not true.
This is a common misconception. Schools CAN force you to do activities.

I have heard that the DET has a state-wide policy enforcing sport in year 11, and most Catholic schools have some SoR or other religious studies requirement. Many Christian schools require compulsory attendance at certain events.

There's nothing you can do about them - schools are entitled to institute their own rules, as long as they are not illegal and they don't contradict Board regulations.

proringz

HSC
Sport is only compulsory for Year 7-10 as quoted from the BOS.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
i go to a public high school. since term 2 of year 11 we have been able to not go to sport =]

the bored requirement is only compulsary PD/H/PE for years 7 - 11 and after that it isnt compulsary if students already participate in a reasonable amount of sport outside school time. thats what we were told.

not sure if thats the exact rules haha.

but yeah by the time your our age if you can produce some sort of note from your parents saying you do sport outside of school (i think it was 3 hours) or you can just LIE lol. but yeah if you can do that i think you have a good chance of being let off if its for a 'studying reason' or something =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)