• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is suicide the "easy" option? (1 Viewer)

arrested development
HSC
oh hello thread. hmmm i think i can reply to this.

i have attempted suicide a number of times, with one very serious attempt where i came *this* close to dying. in my opinion, and from what i personally feel, it is kind of the easy way out; however (!) this is after realising that every other possible solution for one's problems shan't work. it's easy because, obviously, death is simpler than having to suffer a life that is painful for the sake of others. it is also selfish in this regard. however, we all ultimately have to look after ourselves, and our lives are our own to dictate. also, the pain is often caused by those people who shall apparently be affected by the suicide anyway. for me, i almost wanted to die just to upset some people and show them physically how much they hurt me inside.

anyway, i digress.

i do not, however, think that suicide is the easy option when you look at the big picture. it may seem as though it is because people could see it as being someone reacting to one issue by ending it all, but it's usually a build up of stresses that eventually must come to a head. i thought about death and all the different and grim ways of killing myself for years before i actually decided that i had reached the end and that there was no longer any point in trying alternative methods of fixing my pain. it's not something that anyone wants to do, i don't think; but it feels like the last and only "solution".

the methods of killing oneself are not pleasant either. it's horrible and painful and, if one fails, there are often physical scars/complications left to deal with.
also - re: failing a suicide attempt, that's another thing that makes the whole ordeal tough to go through. there's always a chance that someone will save you, and you have to worry about the utter humiliation of it all afterwards.

i guess my point is that you really have to understand that it takes a lot for someone to attempt suicide (which is not easy), but compared to the pain that they are living with it is the easier option. does that make sense? :s

bitchy girl

HSC
N/A
i am happier actually, thank you tlodg. and i have realised that living is so much better than dying. when i tried to committ suicide, i hoped so much for it to work .. because i didnt wanted to wake up from my attempt and realising i had failed to committ suicide. but, thankfully i recovered from my stupid act

ediisjoz: i agree with you. now that ive "been there" ... anyone who comtemplates suicide needs to visualize the people who loves them the most being stabbed in the heart repeatedly by a dull, rusty knife. if they can do this without flinching, i suppose they could look forward to an eternity without regret. but, if this picture is unsettling to them, they had better stop at nothing to help find ways to make life better. there's no coming back and fixing the agony they will create.

Last edited:

tlodg

HSC
N/A
Zoe, you somehow remind me of Janice Ian Dyke in Mean Girls. Hmm I don't know why.

I like that character. I wish I can have a friend like Janice in real life

arrested development
HSC
tlodg said:
Zoe, you somehow remind me of Janice Ian Dyke in Mean Girls. Hmm I don't know why.

I like that character. I wish I can have a friend like Janice in real life
haha is she the fat goth chick?

tlodg

HSC
N/A
bitchy girl said:
i am happier actually, thank you tlodg. and i have realised that living is so much better than dying. when i tried to committ suicide, i hoped so much for it to work .. because i didnt wanted to wake up from my attempt and realising i had failed to committ suicide. but, thankfully i recovered from my stupid act
good to know u're happier. if anyone once considered or is thinking about suicide being the only way, he/she would think twice after reading this....

transcendent

HSC
N/A
That's a pretty accurate comparison, except she has short hair.

Suicide is a choice.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
I have lost friends from the tragedy which is suicide.

Im trying to understand their reasoning as to why they were presented with no other option but to take their life, but I cant get it. We all have our issues, some have a massive impact, others are mere "storms in a tea cup", im not trying to understand the issues people are facing, but I just know that its never the right choice to make, for anyone involved.

The thing I dont understand is how somebody could reach a place, where they believe undoubtably they would be better off dead. Everybody can start again, no matter how far they have fallen, or what they face. Commiting suicide is a road with no turning back, and its for that reason that I find it so hard to understand why a person could think its the best option.

Yeah, for some, it may be the 'easy' option from what they face, but you cant give anything a second chance if you're gone.

-golly-

HSC
thats a little concerning,
however i think that suicide is terrible, and no matter how bad things get, there is no reason to take your life, because when things are that bad, they can only get better......

arrested development
HSC
blue_chameleon said:
I have lost friends from the tragedy which is suicide.

Im trying to understand their reasoning as to why they were presented with no other option but to take their life, but I cant get it. We all have our issues, some have a massive impact, others are mere "storms in a tea cup", im not trying to understand the issues people are facing, but I just know that its never the right choice to make, for anyone involved.

The thing I dont understand is how somebody could reach a place, where they believe undoubtably they would be better off dead. Everybody can start again, no matter how far they have fallen, or what they face. Commiting suicide is a road with no turning back, and its for that reason that I find it so hard to understand why a person could think its the best option.

Yeah, for some, it may be the 'easy' option from what they face, but you cant give anything a second chance if you're gone.
over 90% of teens who commit or attempt suicide suffer from a mental illness or substance abuse, so with that comes irrational ways of thinking. unless you've been in that position it's hard to empathise, of course.

it's so easy to say that "anyone can pull themselves back up again" when you're an observer, but for someone in the position of having their life fall apart it's very difficult to even imagine putting the pieces back together. add to that a mental illness and it becomes even more difficult. someone who's depressed might even find the task of getting out of bed a momentous task, so changing their life completely is a scary and intimidating idea. thus, death may seem like a simpler solution.

i have to say though, most people whom i've talked to who've attempted suicide have not necessarily wanted to DIE, but more so just to go to sleep and not wake up. they cannot really grasp the idea that it's grim and it truly is death, but in times of desperation people will do anything to stop their pain.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Hmm.

Firstly, you don't own your body and you have no claims on it and your life. You have no right to take a human life. Suicide = murder.

Secondly, as someone who has stood at the edge of a cliff wanting to jump, I can say no, suicide is not easy.

Thirdly, suicide is selfish in all cases. This fact is mostly what stopped me.

arrested development
HSC
Dumsum said:
Firstly, you don't own your body and you have no claims on it and your life. You have no right to take a human life. Suicide = murder.
what the fuck? that is one of the most moronic things i've ever heard. what's the point in living if we don't even have ownership over the most basic things: our own life and body? :\

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Heh. I was expecting to get slammed for that.

Look obviously someone who isn't christian (most people on this site) isn't going to share this view but since everyone else is giving theirs I felt obliged to give mine.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 if you're interested.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Dumsum said:
Heh. I was expecting to get slammed for that.

Look obviously someone who isn't christian (most people on this site) isn't going to share this view but since everyone else is giving theirs I felt obliged to give mine.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 if you're interested.
God gave us free will did he not?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
mr_brightside said:
God gave us free will did he not?
Yes, but a Christian would argue that you're rewarded more completely if you use that free will in the way God would have wanted.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
transcendent said:
That's a pretty accurate comparison, except she has short hair.

Suicide is a choice.
u know how zoe looks? u know her in real life?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)