Is Sydney safe for international students? (1 Viewer)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW is full of Asians/Indians/Internationals.

As for Sydney, stay away from places like redfern (as mentioned), and do not walk around at night listening to your iPod, thats practically telling people to rob you. Be street Smart, dont behave like you dont know what you're doing.

Sydney is a safe place, and there's a little bit of racism in every country, even India against indians... but the general population inst bad and the city area is wonderful.

As for the stories, its indian people hitting each other and then blaming it on others, and for the murders and stabbings in melbourne... well if you walk across alone in a park, in the worst area of melbourne at 2am what do you expect? Also with that story I heard that those indians bashed a bunch of islanders, then those isslanders recognised the person as he was wearing a hungry Jacks uniform, so they got him.

tl;dr Just stay away from bad areas and dont travel in those at night, sydney is an awesome place.

superchargedmr2

HSC

As for Sydney, stay away from places like redfern (as mentioned), and do not walk around at night listening to your iPod, thats practically telling people to rob you. Be street Smart, dont behave like you dont know what you're doing.

Sydney is a safe place, and there's a little bit of racism in every country, even India against indians... but the general population inst bad and the city area is wonderful.

As for the stories, its indian people hitting each other and then blaming it on others, and for the murders and stabbings in melbourne... well if you walk across alone in a park, in the worst area of melbourne at 2am what do you expect? Also with that story I heard that those indians bashed a bunch of islanders, then those isslanders recognised the person as he was wearing a hungry Jacks uniform, so they got him.

tl;dr Just stay away from bad areas and dont travel in those at night, sydney is an awesome place.
good response

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
It's fine during the day, there are enough students there to keep everyone out of trouble.

But at night, it's advisable to use the security bus provided by USyd OR get a bus to central instead. That's not to say you'll definitely get robbed if you're in Redfern at night, but it's best to play it safe.

Grape juice

HSC
walking at redfern station past 5pm is a big NONO.

and dont be deceived at how peaceful victoria park looks. you wouldnt want to be taking a stroll down there in the evenings.

EDIT:
once i was at redfern station about 530pm, and there was this mad abo shouting "who said 'fuck you' to me?", then 2minutes later, he started accusing innocent bystanders, "you said 'fuck you' to me!" and he kept pointing at random people.

and he was screaming at the top of his lungs for the whole time.

I got out of there ASAP.

Last edited:

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
It's fine during the day, there are enough students there to keep everyone out of trouble.

But at night, it's advisable to use the security bus provided by USyd OR get a bus to central instead. That's not to say you'll definitely get robbed if you're in Redfern at night, but it's best to play it safe.
or you could catch that uni bus that'll take you straight to redfern station

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Come to UNSW if you're worried, we love our internationals.
Yeah, we certainly do.

Redfern is an absolute shithole. Stay away from it if possible although its ok to walk through during the day to USYD.

walking at redfern station past 5pm is a big NONO.

and dont be deceived at how peaceful victoria park looks. you wouldnt want to be taking a stroll down there in the evenings.

EDIT:
once i was at redfern station about 530pm, and there was this mad abo shouting "who said 'fuck you' to me?", then 2minutes later, he started accusing innocent bystanders, "you said 'fuck you' to me!" and he kept pointing at random people.

and he was screaming at the top of his lungs for the whole time.

I got out of there ASAP.
I saw a drunk abo stumbling out of the toilets being interrogated by cops once. Fuck, Redfern is a shit area.

you will not die if you stay in the eastern suburbs where it is safe to roam the streets naked

do not go to paramatta at night because you will probs die from being scared to death rather than being bashed up
Eastern suburbs can be dodgy too. Parra is absolutely correct. It's like every crazy batshit roams that place at night after 7pm. Fuck, even during the day, I see all sorts of degenerate individuals I didn't even know existed.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
If you're a normal person (i.e. not arrogant / antisocial / ignorant) and can speak English fluently (which I know you can) then being an international student won't be a problem. As other people have said, the main issues you COULD have would be wandering into the wrong areas of Sydney at the wrong times - but any problems there would be because of a lack of street smarts, not because you're international. You'd basically get the gist of which areas are and aren't safe when you got here anyway.

There are so many international students on campus, if you're nice most people aren't going to give a toss where you're from.

postnatal

Banned
HSC
N/A
lol some of you guys are stupid. majority of usyd campus is in Darlington touching west border of Redfern where the 'block' is located. apart from that east Redfern (touching surry hills, alexandria, waterloo) has been undergoing gentrification for years

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
lol some of you guys are stupid. majority of usyd campus is in Darlington touching west border of Redfern where the 'block' is located. apart from that east Redfern (touching surry hills, alexandria, waterloo) has been undergoing gentrification for years
thanks for da redfern update bro

ismile

HSC
MBA OR MS, ALL MANAGEMENT , ACCOUNTING
dessertations, projects, proposals, reflective reports or ASSIGNMENTS, VERY LOW FEES, NO PLAGIARISMS- CONTACT AT mrmdismail@yahoo.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)