Is the Board of Studies fatally flawed? (1 Viewer)

Do you think the Board of Studies is fatally flawed?

• Yes

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad

Failure is a part of life you must get used to it.
Source: 2UE
I want to start with the word fail. The word fail is not nice. You call someone a failure, it’s not nice. You want to be success. You want to strive not to be a failure. It’s confronting isn’t it when you fail. The word fail is too hard to say these days. People fail at high school, people fail at university and people fail at the workplace. It’s the word not used. Win and lose an interesting concept. You win a race or you lose a race. Too hard to deal with in today’s rough and tumble society. Would you want to live in a world where no one wins or loses? This is what is starting to emerge out of our educational system. Have you been told a kid failed in maths in the HSC? Have you been told a kid didn’t win they just came second or third or 170th? Schools in NSW have banned the word fail because it’s too hard to deal with in our dog eat dog world. The Board of Studies says it’s too hard for children to understand i.e. the idea of failure and success. Schools in Melbourne have banned some games such as Touch Football and hide/ seek because of what they say “the children don’t have good coping/ self management skills/ can’t control their emotions. Do children in high school have trouble controlling their emotions when they fail? Do you think I am making this up? This is in the Herald Sun in Melbourne. Schools are resorting to banning games because the children can’t share or handle losing. Over protective parents have been blamed for the lack of resilience in our schools and parents are starting to say that “not winning is not such a bad thing.” So we ban the game? An article in the Daily Telegraph says that NSW High School students will be told to market themselves as a brand so that they have a better chance of winning a job. I will make an observation; Australian high schools are leaving with poor results compared to the rest of the world.

Is this the dumbest generation in terms of our education system we have produced in Australia compared to the rest of the world? Why is our education system going backward? Is the Better Schools reform of the Gillard government going to be a failure? Are we a clever country?

Many Teachers think this is just not good enough. A teacher called Kevin failed at university. Kevin says “it was a good thing and is the reason why I am where I am today. You need to be resilient and get up again. There’s the saying you get back on the horse/ bicycle if you fall off. You have to reflect on life and where you went wrong. A little fear is not a bad thing. That’s all part of growing up. The problem is that at school we have banned a lot of games and children are not learning about winning and losing. As a consequence these children are not prepared for the real world. The Australian High School system is becoming a soft touch system. The education system in Australia says ‘not achieved’ rather than saying ‘fail.”

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Do you think the Board of Studies is fatally flawed?

need I remind you that you are part of this "dumbest generation"... then I wonder why we are called dumb...

2UE is fucking AM radio anyway... that in itself explains the demographic that actually listen to such dribble...

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

I'm not a fan of the fact that completing the HSC = passing it, regardless of marks. I don't know of any hard stats but the aligning for getting to 50 would be extremely low, you don't need to come anywhere close to getting a raw mark of 50% to get it - in most subjects a raw mark pass will get you a band 4.

There can only be superficial reasons for having aligning so high with no direct negatives of having less than 10 units with aligned marks above 50. I do understand that majority of subjects have ~20% of people not reaching that aligned 50, but i'm sure that would be remedied for the most part by introducing consequences for it.

Kind of just reduces the HSC to a method of determining university entry, which is pretty nonsensical when the HSC is optional (I understand it's not quite as flexible anymore)

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

omg i finally got it

bored of studies hahahahaahaha holy shit

omgiloverice

HSC

LOL 2UE, I'm surprised some people on the bored of studies actually listens to it.

The question that the radio broadcasters should be asking, is: What benefits are there telling kids they failed in a particular subject?

Because I certainly cannot see any benefit doing so. When I was aged 7 and growing up, my father constantly told me I failed in everything, in both academics and physical shape (I was a skinny little kid), he constantly compared me to other gifted kids in my class, and constantly reminded me of how stupid I was. However did motivate me to improve myself?

Yep, but for only 3 months, after that I just gave up, and eventually my self-esteem was crushed. My grades in school gotten worse, and so did my parent's comments about me. For a good period of my primary school life, I spent walking around the playground all alone with no one to talk or play with. All this because of a simple reminder that I was a failure.

Albeit my example was a bit more extreme. However what about the children who are suffering from family problems at home, and/or getting bullied by other children, do they need to be told they failed in a particular subject or skill? and if they do how would that help them?

Not to mention kids has a tremendous ability to improve on a particular thing, given they are in the right environment. (Self - observation) There are no easy solutions to this.

I could go on more of how flawed that rant from 2UE is, but I'll do that if I am bothered.

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad

LOL 2UE, I'm surprised some people on the bored of studies actually listens to it.

The question that the radio broadcasters should be asking, is: What benefits are there telling kids they failed in a particular subject?

Because I certainly cannot see any benefit doing so. When I was aged 7 and growing up, my father constantly told me I failed in everything, in both academics and physical shape (I was a skinny little kid), he constantly compared me to other gifted kids in my class, and constantly reminded me of how stupid I was. However did motivate me to improve myself?

Yep, but for only 3 months, after that I just gave up, and eventually my self-esteem was crushed. My grades in school gotten worse, and so did my parent's comments about me. For a good period of my primary school life, I spent walking around the playground all alone with no one to talk or play with. All this because of a simple reminder that I was a failure.

Albeit my example was a bit more extreme. However what about the children who are suffering from family problems at home, and/or getting bullied by other children, do they need to be told they failed in a particular subject or skill? and if they do how would that help them?

Not to mention kids has a tremendous ability to improve on a particular thing, given they are in the right environment. (Self - observation) There are no easy solutions to this.

I could go on more of how flawed that rant from 2UE is, but I'll do that if I am bothered.
The thing to remember is that failure is a part of life and we must have resilience. My proverb is "I might get knocked down in life and lose in the game of life every now and then. Notwithstanding that I want a chance to redeem my stature in society and prove that I can be successful. Our greatest victory is not just winning but rising every time we fall." It's good when society doesn't sugar coat failure. We should reward success and punish failures. We live in a winner takes all society. It's time our education system lifts its game and prepares the eager minds of tomorrow for the real world.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

Failure is a part of life you must get used to it.
Source: 2UE
I want to start with the word fail. The word fail is not nice. You call someone a failure, it’s not nice. You want to be success. You want to strive not to be a failure. It’s confronting isn’t it when you fail. The word fail is too hard to say these days. People fail at high school, people fail at university and people fail at the workplace. It’s the word not used. Win and lose an interesting concept. You win a race or you lose a race. Too hard to deal with in today’s rough and tumble society. Would you want to live in a world where no one wins or loses? This is what is starting to emerge out of our educational system. Have you been told a kid failed in maths in the HSC? Have you been told a kid didn’t win they just came second or third or 170th? Schools in NSW have banned the word fail because it’s too hard to deal with in our dog eat dog world. The Board of Studies says it’s too hard for children to understand i.e. the idea of failure and success. Schools in Melbourne have banned some games such as Touch Football and hide/ seek because of what they say “the children don’t have good coping/ self management skills/ can’t control their emotions. Do children in high school have trouble controlling their emotions when they fail? Do you think I am making this up? This is in the Herald Sun in Melbourne. Schools are resorting to banning games because the children can’t share or handle losing. Over protective parents have been blamed for the lack of resilience in our schools and parents are starting to say that “not winning is not such a bad thing.” So we ban the game? An article in the Daily Telegraph says that NSW High School students will be told to market themselves as a brand so that they have a better chance of winning a job. I will make an observation; Australian high schools are leaving with poor results compared to the rest of the world.

Is this the dumbest generation in terms of our education system we have produced in Australia compared to the rest of the world? Why is our education system going backward? Is the Better Schools reform of the Gillard government going to be a failure? Are we a clever country?

Many Teachers think this is just not good enough. A teacher called Kevin failed at university. Kevin says “it was a good thing and is the reason why I am where I am today. You need to be resilient and get up again. There’s the saying you get back on the horse/ bicycle if you fall off. You have to reflect on life and where you went wrong. A little fear is not a bad thing. That’s all part of growing up. The problem is that at school we have banned a lot of games and children are not learning about winning and losing. As a consequence these children are not prepared for the real world. The Australian High School system is becoming a soft touch system. The education system in Australia says ‘not achieved’ rather than saying ‘fail.”
dafuq, that is ridiculous

Okashi

HSC
Yes it is fatally flawed by letting people like you into university. A disability scammer and cheat who's better off being removed from the higher education system and feed off council jobs like being a rubbish cleaner. Good riddance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad

Yes it is fatally flawed by letting people like you into university. A disability scammer and cheat who's better off being removed from the higher education system and feed off council jobs like being a rubbish cleaner. Good riddance.

I am returning to Bachelor of Business at UTS in five years to do Business Law major (Foundations in Law) which is straight out of the Bachelor of Laws. I want to do a Bachelor of Laws down the track. UTS Law is a top one per cent law school in the world.

Lina3

HSC

Is the Bored of Studies flawed? They will be if they implement this reasoning. As many have said, failure is part of life. The way the system is now, the results don't tell you that you are failing but boy do they do a good job of showing you the fact. Take, for instance, the ranking system in the HSC. If you see 25/25 on your report, you don't need a teacher telling you that you are failing at the subject, you know that for yourself. Not accepting the notion of failure is simply ridiculous for failure in itself is a valuable lesson.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

Yes I believe that the Board of Studies is dying of shame.

bangladesh

HSC

The thing to remember is that failure is a part of life and we must have resilience. My proverb is "I might get knocked down in life and lose in the game of life every now and then. Notwithstanding that I want a chance to redeem my stature in society and prove that I can be successful. Our greatest victory is not just winning but rising every time we fall." It's good when society doesn't sugar coat failure. We should reward success and punish failures. We live in a winner takes all society. It's time our education system lifts its game and prepares the eager minds of tomorrow for the real world.
If you are going for a difficult course such as medicine, Chances are, you WILL fail before you get in so yea.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

If you are going for a difficult course such as medicine, Chances are, you WILL fail before you get in so yea.
Medicine isn't difficult it's just hard to get it.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
The uMAT and GAMSAT is just a way of screening students as to their suitability for medicine .... That's it's core purpose not to reflect the difficulty of med.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

No? UMAT and GAMSAT is nothing compared to what you do in med school. Just go ask some med students.

I have and they reckon engineering is harder.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

Medicine isn't difficult it's just hard to get it.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

its demanding time-wise but not difficult

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

the thigh bone is connected to the thigh meat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)