Is the war in Iraq justified? (2 Viewers)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
This is a heated debate and probably not wise to enter. Oh well.

The Americans, British and others had intellegence that suggested that this man had WMDs. This intellengence may have been flawed, but they were still told it. After so many inquiries I am convinced that they beleived it was crediable, even if they spiced it up a little in the delivery, the core intellengence was crediable, as far as they knew (by "they" I mean the Presidents and PMs).

So, armed with this information, should they have gone to war? Yes, they were going against the UN, but as they beleived, time was critical, and they knew that the UN may sit on its hands for weeks, months or possibly years. So armed with this info, then they probably made the right decision. The war, as far as they knew, was almost completly justified (expect that they went outside the UN, but then that was also reasonably justified).

Should they pull out now? Definately not. Leaving the coutry would be far worse than remaing in power for the general population. The obvious course of action is to move towards elections as swiftly as possible, and to transfer as much of the policing power to the Iraqs as possible.

EDIT: After re-reading some of this thread I would like to add some more points.

The Iraq-AlQuida link never seemed crediable, and I don't know what kind of intellegence they had on that, but it just dosn't fit in, a dictator-terroist relationship. That seems to be a large mistake on America's behalf ...

But even if Iraq wasn't going to sell WMDs to terrosists, he still apperntly was ready and willing to use them, and as I said above, this seemed an imminent threat that had to be prevented, so the discovery that their is no bond between Iraq and terrorist is not a good reason to dismiss the war as a bad idea.

The US line now, that Iraq is better off without this "brutal dictator" is not a good sell. This shifts the focus of the reason for war t something that is NOT justifiable. If the reason for war is to remove a dicatator, the you need to wait for the UN. There is no longer the sense of urgency. I believe that this line is just being used to sooth the American public, and so that the media don't keep saying "No WMDs" but even still, it brings into question the motives for the war, and that is not a wise idea in my opinon ...

Last edited:

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
The invasion ended a lot of suffering. It was a decent act that was poorly justified.
Still I fail to believe it was any moral decency that lead Bush to this attack. Certainly when the result of the war is compared to the report the US gave the UN it isn't justified.

Still, Saddam was a demon, but just one of many. If the US were really serious about this idea of ridding the world of tryanny they'd be helping the Sudanese refugees. They'd be preventing a slaughter like the one that happened in the UN refugee camp where it was mostly women and children murdered.

Like I said, for a moral standpoint it's justified because it ended suffering, but the motives of the Bush Administration aren't justified.

astro

HSC
pookie1234 said:
dont start this shit

Why stop the future leaders of Australia making opinions about something important?

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
I watched Farenheit 911 a few nights ago. It really strengthened my dislike of the Bush Administration. Despite Moore's biased commentary, I hope we all agree that there weren't any lies or half truths in the film.

Apparently, America's intelligence services were the told the day after 11th September to somehow link the bombings of the WTC to Saddam. It didn't matter if it was true or not, just make sure it looked like Saddam had something to do with it.

Yep, the argument that the war is justified because a bad guy was diposed doesn't have any weight. If the U.S pushed such a reason through the U.N ( that of invading Iraq for the sole purpose of removing a brutal dictator), the U.N would of supported the Americans. However, the U.S knew they couldn't go to war on this reason, because they would then be expected to do something about all the other brutal dictators throughout the world.

It's no fault of the intelligence services. It makes me sick seeing our governments trying to lay all the blame on them. The intelligence services were pressured into coming up with something about Saddam and his willingness to use WMDs against us. It simply wasn't true, which is why that Andrew Wilkie guy walked out.

There was just no reason for war and if there was, we do it through the U.N.

lengstar

HSC
Um...why couldn't they just assassinate Suddam Hussien? Instigate a revolution. Much less bloodshed. Sure there would be a revolt, possibly anarchy but if you argument is to remove the President of Iraq you've done your job and can quit bitching about how his a evil dictator in charge of the country. Instead they invade it, most likely for oil, so those arguments to rid Iraq of a brutal dictator are unjustified.

EDIT: i'm not going to watch F911 cause, even though it provides evidence against the Bush administration, it will make me more anti-america, and i prefer the middle ground. i'm already passionately anti-america enough as it is.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
I saw Farenheit 9/11 as well. I'm not anti-america, more anti-bush administration and anti-republican party. Bush is a liar and rigged an election! However, I still believe that the Coalition acted in our and the Iraqians best interests when they "Invaded" (Liberated) Iraq. Its a fact that Iraq had WMD, cause as I said before, the US gave them to them and they had million dolloar weapons programs.

lengstar: Yes, they did want to get rid of Saddam but not as much as they wanted to get rid of his WMD. Do you think it'd look like they where trying to get rid of his WMD if they started a revolution? It'd look pretty suss to me!

astro

HSC
thorrnydevil said:
I However, I still believe that the Coalition acted in our and the Iraqians best interests when they "Invaded" (Liberated) Iraq. QUOTE]

Best Interest?! Most of us live in fear - fear that terrorists will strike...terrorists from a country that we "liberated". I doubt that the reason to the coalition's invasion is out of the goodness of their hearts to free the country of a dictator. They didn't act for liberation - they act for profit. It's a more sophisticated form of empire building...

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
astro said:
thorrnydevil said:
I However, I still believe that the Coalition acted in our and the Iraqians best interests when they "Invaded" (Liberated) Iraq. QUOTE]

Best Interest?! Most of us live in fear - fear that terrorists will strike...terrorists from a country that we "liberated". I doubt that the reason to the coalition's invasion is out of the goodness of their hearts to free the country of a dictator. They didn't act for liberation - they act for profit. It's a more sophisticated form of empire building...
Actually, most known terrorists come from Saudi Arabia and Yemen, not Iraq.

You say we live in "fear." The chances of someone dieing in a terrorist attack is absolutely huge. You have more chance of being eaten by a shark. These Iraqians DID live in constant fear of being killed, tortured, used in experiments and much much worse. You say you live in fear-ha, these people EXPERIENCED it everyday of their lives. Now that the Coalition has liberated Iraq, these people can live in peace and enjoy the human rights which have been granted to every citizen of the world by your precious UN.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
astro said:
thorrnydevil said:

You say we live in "fear." The chances of someone dieing in a terrorist attack is absolutely huge. You have more chance of being eaten by a shark. These Iraqians DID live in constant fear of being killed, tortured, used in experiments and much much worse. You say you live in fear-ha, these people EXPERIENCED it everyday of their lives. Now that the Coalition has liberated Iraq, these people can live in peace and enjoy the human rights which have been granted to every citizen of the world by your precious UN.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
thorrnydevil said:
Now that the Coalition has liberated Iraq, these people can live in peace and enjoy the human rights which have been granted to every citizen of the world by your precious UN.
cept for those guys that are being tortured and shit. but they don't count

leetom

HSC
thorrnydevil said:

Most known terrorists come from Saudi Arabia and Yemem. Good point, it true too. So... how is occupying Iraq going to benefit the 'war against terror'?

Thorny devil, you defend the war based on it's liberation of the Iraqi people. If liberation of the people was an original reason for war then the U.N would of supported it. But it wasn't. It was about denying Saddam the weapons he didn't have to begin with.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
I think it has clearly emerged nothing good has come out of this war.
Its just emerged as yet another tale of the 'Vulcans' taking advantage of the people gain for their own purposes.

Personally it just amazes me how people can still think the war was a good thing. It was built on lies and you know even if any good has emerged (which i cant really see) it cannot be justified because the truth of the matter is, the Australian people were lied to and that really is a sad fact.

Spare a thought for all the dead corpses of Iraqi's, Journalists and troops alike, when you next consider 'operation Iraqi freedom'

astro

HSC
thorrnydevil said:
Now that the Coalition has liberated Iraq, these people can live in peace and enjoy the human rights which have been granted to every citizen of the world by your precious UN.
Like craxyhomo said, there are Iraqi's being tortured to death by their so called liberators - you call that human rights?

Besides, the leader that is appointed by the coalition will probably be a lap dog for U.K, USA and maybe Australia - put the interests of those countries before the interests of Iraqis...then he will probably turn into another Saddam and rule Iraq with bloody iron fists....history will repeat itself....

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Homo: Torure would of gone down. EVERY PERSON COUNTS. Under Saddam, most people lived in fear of being tortured on a daily basis by Saddam and his cronnies...but they don't count.

Leetom: How many times do I have to say this? SADDAM DID HAVE WMD!!! How? Firstly the USA gave them too them when they where allies. Secondly, Saddam had million dollar weapons programs.

Sweets: What would you prefer, if you where in an Iraqis situation? A place controlled by the US-debateably, the worlds biggest democracy (which I disagree with), or a haven of terrorism, torture, murder and one of the most bloody dictators in the history of the Middle East? I know which I would prefer. Do you think this is a good thing, or not?

Astro: OK, like I said above, would you prefer a government run by the US or a dictatorship headed by Saddam Hussein? History wont repeat itself because the US has its puppet in power. Do you honestly think the world superpower would let an Iraqi become a dictator again? They have to many invested interests in that part of the world.

astro

HSC
i would want a government run by the people i vote for, not some leader who is a puppet for the US who will put interests of US before interests of Iraq. Their invested interests are to exploit the country...just like the Europeans raped Africa of all their resources at the turn of the century. Iraq has the potential to become rich, however this is being stopped by America and thier cronies.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
And know that the US has freed Iraq from its dictatorship they are a step closer to that free government elected by the people. If still under Saddam they would never of seen that free Iraq, or the money that came with their oil.

astro

HSC
as if they would see oil as "US has its puppet in power"

leetom

HSC
thorrnydevil said:
Leetom: How many times do I have to say this? SADDAM DID HAVE WMD!!! How? Firstly the USA gave them too them when they where allies. Secondly, Saddam had million dollar weapons programs.
Thorny devil! There is no doubt Saddam had WMDs, but quite obviously- he got rid of them! He didn't have any WMDs at the time of invasion, and that's what counts because that was the main argument for war.

You can't invade a country because they used to have illegal weapons.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
thorrnydevil said:
Sweets: What would you prefer, if you where in an Iraqis situation? A place controlled by the US-debateably, the worlds biggest democracy (which I disagree with), or a haven of terrorism, torture, murder and one of the most bloody dictators in the history of the Middle East? I know which I would prefer. Do you think this is a good thing, or not?
Well see it can be argued that something good has come out of the war, as the regime of Saddam has been toppled but when it comes to the war being justified that doesn't cut it.

And also while you could say they are better off under the rule of the americans (understandably), i don't agree. The people resent their rule and rightly so, how would we like it if someone came into our country and basically took it over?

If we're talking about the lesser of 2 evils then maybe the US wins (i'm not saying the US is evil on a whole just in this situation from the Iraqi perspective). Actually what is worse is that the American occupation is actually turning to people supporting the insurgents of Saddam because they feel like they are the only people they can turn to.

Saddam was horrible and you know maybe if a democratic system were to emerge something good would have happened but instead the prime-minister of Iraq, is just just another puppet in quest for power (except he's dressed up in a suit, to pander to our image associations)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)