is this a good uni (1 Viewer)

canberra_guy

HSC
why do so many people say UC is shit go to ANU and label it with a bad reputation, whats so bad about it. i hate all these competitive shit, i wouldn't mind going there if i don't get into ANU and if my parents and everybody else weren't like this place is for losers.

mestizabel

HSC
It all depends on the person and course choice. If you take a course and finish it as a Masters/Doctorate for example, then you're pretty set for whatever you're wanting to do. It all comes down to the hardwork being paid off, not the pretty little uni emblem on your degree.

philphie

Banned
HSC
why do so many people say UC is shit go to ANU and label it with a bad reputation, whats so bad about it. i hate all these competitive shit, i wouldn't mind going there if i don't get into ANU and if my parents and everybody else weren't like this place is for losers.
mate you live in Canberra, you're already a loser, lol jokes

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I hear it's pretty crap, but if it's all you get into, go, but just aim for higher marks.

Andi0390

HSC
I know this is oldish but I'll just share my opinion.

I don't think UC is "bad", its just not your typical traditional university.

ANU is one of those theoretical universities with more of the traditional courses.

UC offers more hands-on qualifications. They have DipEd and other courses that ANU doesn't have. It doesn't take a genius to look at the courses they offer and understand that these two unis just cater to a different kind of person.

UC is pretty crappy for things like Arts but I know some people there who really enjoy what they do, and ANU does not offer those courses.

I wouldn't view UC as a second choice for ANU because it does not really cater for those kinds of courses. If I hadn't got into ANU for Arts I would have gone to Macquarie or UNSW or UOW or something, because they have the kind of courses I am into.

Don't judge a university just on what other people say, find what is the best option for you and take it. You're an adult now, make your own choices.

Lachycharts

Don't afraid of anything!
HSC
I used to live in Canberra for 11 years when I was younger but I didn't really know anything about the universities (obviously) but ANU is ranked 17th in the world! This is saying something about the university. I think just by juxtaposition they say that UC is crap because it is not even ranked.

Hopefully you get into ANU as this would provide you with global recognition with whatever you want to get in to.

Minkie

HSC
I go to UC and have a few friends that have either completed their degree at UC or are undertaking studies now too. I enjoy UC, it doesnt have the spiffy buildings and resources like ANU but it is just as good.

It provides a more practical approach to studying.

Overall, UC = GOOD :D

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
UC is small and personal. Hell i love the place, i might not be great at writing essays but my Cultural Heritage Lecturers and Tutors give me as much help as i need, everyone knows nearly everyone. sure ANU calls us 'super TAFE'... but hey, at least we're super!

C6H12O6-Glucose

HSC
Read this:

-Australian National University
-Monash University
-University of Adelaide
-University of Melbourne
-University of New South Wales
-University of Queensland
-University of Sydney
-University of Western Australia

Above are the universities that form the Group of Eight (Go8). The Go8 is the Australian equivalent of the US Ivy League and Australia's answer to the UK's Russell Group. These universities are the most prestigious and wealthy universities in Australia. All are placed within the top 100 universities in the world according to the THE-QS World University rankings. No other Australian university outside this group are in the top 100.

I sometimes wonder why people even bother applying to, or attending universities outside the Go8. Unless there is a course not offered by a Go8 institution that requires a high entrance score or offers only very limited placements, then I deem every other university (Like the University of Canberra, for example) to be a glorified TAFE. All you need to do is look on the alumni lists on Wikipedia to realise anyone in Australian history, that matters, attended a Go8 university.

lilruby

HSC
N/A
UC isn't BAD - i know peoples who have high UAIs and yes can get into ANU but chose to go to UC instead because of the specific or more variety of units UC has...

You can get into a great awesome reputable uni but if you don't study and slack off - then you get just as crappy marks...

I go to UC and I love it! It's 'small' and just gives a nice 'homey' feeling =]

Nashie

Ace up my sleeve
HSC
Just a quick little correction...

some courses at UC at rated higher than others in the country, for example journalism, it is the #2 ranked journalism course in the country (after a private journo school), the lecturers are awesome and experienced it is also graded quite harshly even though it wasn't the most difficult course to get into. Go and polish your ivory towers until you realise that the job market probably doesn't give a shit... they will care more about your people skills, ability to work in a team and all that jazz.

Oh and it is a fun uni to go to

spazamataz

HSC
seriously? I want to go there (and ANU, for bachelor of ed/bachelor of asia pacific relations), but all the ITS SO BORING YOU WILL COMMIT SUICIDE comments make me =\
All my friends who go there are now alcoholics.

So I guess its fun if you're an alcoholic?

Yo1anda

HSC
Yeah ANU is boring as shit, most of the time they come to our events.
its a combined degree, with both UC and ANU.

but I was referring to canberra and the uni student life in general there as having a stigma of being boring as hell.

bio_nut

HSC

but I was referring to canberra and the uni student life in general there as having a stigma of being boring as hell.
It's not true. Student life is really good there. Have many friends at uni in Canberra and used to live there.

timw7845

Somewhere near the mountains... somewhere near the
HSC

its not really.. theres enough to do to keep you occupied..

especially if you live at clv they will put on events for you throughout the year.. combined with stuff like stonefest which is basically a week long piss up for UC's birthday (placing of the foundation stone)

NCB619

I Am The Chorus
HSC
its not really.. theres enough to do to keep you occupied..

especially if you live at clv they will put on events for you throughout the year.. combined with stuff like stonefest which is basically a week long piss up for UC's birthday (placing of the foundation stone)
Lol... Stonefest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)