Is UNSW best for the B Commerce course? (1 Viewer)

Langrepa

Patrick
HSC
I am a yr 12 student, and Im wondering which uni has the best, or is known to have the best commerce course? I also heard that UNSW is better because the building for the commerce faculty is like right in the middle of the uni, whereas USYD has there faculty on the outside on the other road. Whats the course like here guys??

Langrepa

Patrick
HSC
apart from the obvious boring nature of it, what features of like one of the uni's make it better than the other for this course?

HoNkYjAi

HSC
It really depends on what majors you are planning to do in your commerce degree and whether you are planning to combine the commerce with either arts, science, social science or law.

If you were planning to combine it, then commerce/law might be a bit better at usyd, as their law degree is a little more recognised. But apart from that, the other combined degrees at unsw are great!

If you were planning to do commerce and do a double major, unsw would undoubtedly be the best, except for the major of actuarial studies, which is more recognised at macquarie university.

At the end of the day, no matter which university you decide to go to, the content is primarily going to be the same, its just the actual experience and recognition in the workplace that differentiates the universities. I love going to unsw because its a fairly large university with excellent facilities, but not to the extent where you feel cut off from your friends outside the commerce faculty, which is why i opted out of usyd. I also love relaxing on the lawns between classes, which is why i opted out of uts.

But the most important thing is actually getting a job out of it of course! i'm in my last year of my degree so i've been exposed quite a bit to the interview and screening processes that the large firms make you go through before taking you on as a graduate. I would have to say that the majority of the people that they interview and give job offers to are unsw graduates. For example, at my PriceWaterhouseCoopers interviews, over 50% of graduates were from unsw, 25% from usyd and the remaining were from the other unis. so i think the numbers speak for itself!

But to provide a more balanced view point, the buses to unsw are at times dodgy and i wonder why they thought building a uni on a bloody hill was a good idea!!!

So goodluck with your decision and i hope you make the right one!

jokay22

HSC
N/A
Honkyjai, what about the KPMG, EY, Deloitte?
Do u have any idea from which uni they're recruiting?

How about Commerce in Monash? (I know that this's UNSW forum, but if u don't mind to share some knowledge..)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
jokay22 said:
Saw 3 cadets from deloitte on the bus home from uni yesterday.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
jokay22 said:
Do u have any idea from which uni they're recruiting?

How about Commerce in Monash? (I know that this's UNSW forum, but if u don't mind to share some knowledge..)
Well there was a BRW article floating around last year which found that the Big4 accounting firms hire more UNSW grads than any other uni (in NSW).

jokay22

HSC
N/A
BRW article? What's that?

Some also said that there're lots of Int'l Student in those uni (UNSW,USYD,Monash,etc) that don't pursue their career in Australia. So, it's hard to know the real statistic.

HSC
BRW - Business Review Weekly. Believe it or not, the big 4 actually recruited more from UTS than USYD, with most recruitments coming from UNSW of course.

jokay22

HSC
N/A
I believe you. That, I also heard.
Man, I'm confused which one to choose.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
24 said:
BRW - Business Review Weekly. Believe it or not, the big 4 actually recruited more from UTS than USYD, with most recruitments coming from UNSW of course.
I'm not surprised.
However i think some people gotta realise, theres more opporunitues at the end of a business degree than the big4.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
24 said:
The funny thing is, how do you know thats not because those that applied from UTS simply had better extracurriculars or got better marks in the courses they did?

What you say necessaraily implies it is the fault of the uni that that happened, and I don't think thats right.

HoNkYjAi

HSC
I also got recruited by Ernst & Young and the statistics were roughly the same. KPMG on the other hand actually prefer usyd graduates and i have absolutely no idea why! Deloitte doesnt really have a preference i think..

And another bad thing about unsw is the international students! its really hard when your counting on these people to do their parts in assignments/presentations and some of their work is just disgraceful!

And marks are not really that important! the top tier firms are looking for well-rounded people so anyone with at least a credit average would be considered, as long as their extracurricular activities are up to scratch!

Of course theres always opportunities out there that are beyond the big four but why would you bother going to unsw if your not going to dream high and strive for the best? i dont think many people would want to pay a fortune for their degree but not try to maximise their return! =)

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Hint in selecting Commerce degree: If you get the marks for UNSW, go UNSW. If you don't, try Usyd or UTS.
This applies for everything except actuary, where its a choice between UNSW and Macq.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Another suggestion, consider what you want to major in. Some Commerce/Business/Economics faculties at other unis may have majors which UNSW doesn't offer and vice versa.

Also consider how the degree is constructed. You may be limited in how many majors you can do if you decide to pursue a double degree. In a single degree some unis will allow you to do subjects from outside the faculty, some won't.

Also, the info given here about job prospects at big 4 firms would apply to your situation assuming that you want to undertake an accounting major (big 4 recruit from other disciplines but the majority of recruits are accounting). If you don't want to do accounting, and job prospects are a major concern for you, you should investigate graduate destinations from the area you want to pursue

Last edited:

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
UNSW is the best. But law might be better at USYD.

As for the location of the faculty on the campus, I hope that's not a major influence on you choosing UNSW commerce.

jokay22

HSC
N/A
HoNkYjAi said:
And another bad thing about unsw is the international students! its really hard when your counting on these people to do their parts in assignments/presentations and some of their work is just disgraceful!
Wow.. that hurts =p I'm also an int'l student btw. Well, I hope I can keep up with others fellow student expectation then.

That explains why my friends said that we -int'l student- rarely in the same work grup with Australians. Seems that differences in ways of working is the main reason.

I guess it's because my country didn't emphasize so much in work group or assisgments/presentations, so that student aren't used to these kind of things.

Do you have any more complaints? =)

I heard that there're so many int'l student in UNSW esp. from China in Commerce.

Is that what happen in other Uni too (USYD,UTS-surely,MQ)?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If it's any consolation- you don't sound fob.

I heard Macquarie has the best Commerce (Acct) faculty but the UAI is low because noone really wants to go to Macquarie *shrugs*.. that's what someone at UTS Open Day told me.

"Deloitte Cadet"... that's something you don't hear everyday. I think my year of work experience at Deloitte was when they had stopped running the cadetship program.

EDIT- That BRW article, I can't find it on the site.. I'm a subscriber so if you could provide more details I can search for it.

Last edited:

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
my sister was a deloitte cadet to be, except when she got her TER, she did med =/

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
ROFL... She like med? One of my sis's friends left a big4 firm (best not to say the name I think) to pursue med... with only one module left before finishing CA!

Btw I found the BRW article but I think I'm not supposed to c&p it- but as for the table data;

Graduates recruited to PricewaterhouseCoopers, Ernst & Young and Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu for 2004

VICTORIA
University of Melbourne 51
Monash University 31
Deakin University 14
La Trobe University 3
RMIT University 2

NEW SOUTH WALES / ACT
University of New South Wales 57
University of Technology, Sydney 44
University of Sydney 36
Macquarie University 18
Australian National University 9
University of Western Sydney 6
University of Wollongong 5
University of Newcastle 4
University of Canberra 3

QUEENSLAND*
University of Queensland 24
Queensland University of Technology 13
James Cook University 8
Bond University 7
Griffith University 3
Central Queensland University 1

WESTERN AUSTRALIA
University of Western Australia 26
Curtin University of Technology 20
Murdoch University 6
Edith Cowan University 5

SOUTH AUSTRALIA
University of Adelaide 14
University of South Australia 11
Flinders University of South Australia 4

TASMANIA
University of Tasmania 7

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)