• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

is UNSW overrated in terms of prestige? (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
McLake said:
You've been reading their poster ...
I actually didn't, I saw it on the maths department website while I was investigating the differences between UNSW and USyd.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
santaslayer said:
Reputation....the green thing under your avatar?
Haha! I'd +rep you for that but I don't give it out freely enough to have passed 20 others.

I can just imagine the different uni logos with green bars underneath indicating prestige.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
those results were from 2001 so they are already outdated, and they include data from only 300 selected maths journals (ISI)

they came 14th in citations per paper published, yet dont even come close to top 25 in raw citations (which is somewhat proportional to size of maths dep).
they may only chose to submit high quality articles to ISI journals, or whatever.

personally i think any math department that still has not terminated dr. hirschhorn's employment after 30 years should not be considered respectable.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
several var calc..
also i think still first year algebra 1131/1231

once you come here youll prolly have him for something, hes a pure boy like you

asdf

HSC
shannonm said:
personally i think any math department that still has not terminated dr. hirschhorn's employment after 30 years should not be considered respectable.
so true! You spelt his name right too! :eek: I guess him writing his name on the board every lecture worked! Though, i bet he'd be pretty pissed off at you right now for not using upper case 'h' for "Hirch.ho..watever". ;)

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
its way fucken overrated

i went there expecting marble and red carpets and all night coke binges, and did it deliver? no.

ive been there almost a whole year and still no one has offered me a job

ziggyboy

HSC
A friend of mine who studied in UNSW and transferred to UOW (where I study) said this:

"The students in UNSW are different, they act like God. The lecturers are even worse because they feel like they taught God."

But really, I think UNSW has the best computer science program in Australia. I would consider doing honours or postrad there if I was given the chance.

asdf

HSC
Ziggyboy, what was your friend studying? So far i've only met one "i am god" lecturer..."its Dr. <namegoeshere>!". The rest are really cool i reckon. To be honest, i've never met any "im god" students (though all my friends are engineering or science students). Wouldn't know about other faculties. There are heaps that may seem like that, but once you actually meet them, you realise they are just naturally quite/shy when talking/meeting others... :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)