• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Islam Discussion (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
well, they are. but sometimes verses of the quran were specifically sent down for a group of people. for example, a whole chapter (its about 1/3 of a page lol) was sent down, condemning the prophets uncle, who was a heavy disbeliever.

Generator

HSC
N/A
veterandoggy said:
hmmm, thannnnk youuuuuu. i guess you answered the question...
Huh?

I just thought that it would be useful to post a link to that article because it seems as though we have however many young people deferring to 'authority' in every instance rather than trying to think for themselves on the odd occasion.

Last edited:

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
but what does the qua'ran define as 'wrongdoing,' the fact that this verse says 'except,' ie, makes exceptions to transgression against the 'zalimun' is pretty outrageous imo, polytheists have the right to freedom of speech and beliefs too?
transgression isnt always physical, right? i would expect stuff like debating and speech backlash to be sort of like it too.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
wait, ill type up a narration of the prophet's sayings in relation to this verse, and ill say it all, unlike most websites...

edit:crap, i gtg. but ill be back soon. it is to do with jihad actually.

Last edited:

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
k, here it is [quote='abdullah bin mas'ud]i asked allah's messenger "oh allah's messenger! what is the best deed?" he replied " to offer the salat (prayers) at their early fixed times." i asked "what is next in goodness?" he replied "to be good and dutiful to your parents" i further asked "what is next in goodness?" he replied " to participate in jihad for allahs cause." i did not ask allah's messenger anymore and if i had asked him more, he would have told me more.[/quote]

i also looked up jihad in the same quran
jihad: any kind of efffort to make allah's word superior. jihad is regarded as one of the fundamentals of islam
dont know how much help this is, but as you can see, terrorism wont make allah's word superior, so it couldnt possibly be jihad.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
the point is that the quran has verses like those, that terrorst can interpret, and do , to kill innocent people. It doesnt matter that you say the actual interpretation isnt ment to be that , first of all there isnt an actual interpretation. It could be interpretted how ever you want, secondly the fact that theres enough muslims who interpret it in a way whcih in turn harms innocent people (suicide explosions), makes the quran a pretty poor book to follow, as it provides subjective meanings which in many cases leads to horrible acts being commited.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
no. it isnt meant to be translated that way, but because there are many of these false translations it seems true. this is exactly how the bible became what it is today: preists kept on editing it until it became a widespread edit, and so then became truth

i know youre not christian, but this is what came out from people arguing in the same manner that you are.

im not saying that muslims are innocent for standing by and watching our reputation go from a highly respected and feared group into a rabble of people who argue that this person isnt praying right and this person doesnt follow what they say completely, but im not saying that im guilty of what terrorists do, and its unfair to say that islam preaches what the people are doing

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
i agree with sashtheman, in a subtle way though, i'm not saying the qua'ran is evil or even had the intention of evil. But it suffered poor judgement by whoever put together the document (mahamud? i know its spelt wrong) together because from what i've seen, like marx, its very dangerous, very ambiguous, surely if 'madamud' was a sensible man then he could have foresore this.

does the qua'ran just say those statements without giving people the proper interpretation?

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
ive noticed that whenever conversations questioning islam are brought about, terrorism is always the core of the argument. islam isnt all about fighting. it covers everything from life to after death, even toilet ettiquettes. but this is the only thing which seems harsh to todays democratic society, so they can only use that to argue to make them feel better

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
i agree with sashtheman, in a subtle way though, i'm not saying the qua'ran is evil or even had the intention of evil. But it suffered poor judgement by whoever put together the document (mahamud? i know its spelt wrong) together because from what i've seen, like marx, its very dangerous, very ambiguous, surely if 'madamud' was a sensible man then he could have foresore this.

does the qua'ran just say those statements without giving people the proper interpretation?
the prophet gave alot of the meanings we derive, but there are still many things which the prophet purposely left ambiguous, and some which couldnt even be explained by the prophet (maybe to test future generations?)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
veterandoggy said:
no. it isnt meant to be translated that way, but because there are many of these false translations it seems true. this is exactly how the bible became what it is today: preists kept on editing it until it became a widespread edit, and so then became truth

i know youre not christian, but this is what came out from people arguing in the same manner that you are.

im not saying that muslims are innocent for standing by and watching our reputation go from a highly respected and feared group into a rabble of people who argue that this person isnt praying right and this person doesnt follow what they say completely, but im not saying that im guilty of what terrorists do, and its unfair to say that islam preaches what the people are doing
why do u only pick the bible and say it has been edited out of its true meaning? I think same would apply for the quran

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
It is a flaw, isn't religion supposed to be perfect because it is supposed to be followed completely? Anti-islamic people are nitpicking, yes, but that's not to say that the nitpicking isn't justified. A few ambiguous verses from the qua'ran has caused this SERIOUS issue, and threat, that is a great justification for criticising the qua'ran.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)