Islam (1 Viewer)

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
The Muslims, Jews and some Christian sects reject pork because of prohibitions as revealed in their Holy Books, the Quran and the Bible. God Almighty is all-knowing and our limited knowledge and science cannot as yet understand all the reasons for prohibitions and recommendations contained in the divine guidance and revelations, although we should keep on striving to understand them.

For Muslims, the prohibition of pimgeat was, at first, theoretical as there were no domestic pigs in Hejaz at the time of the revelation of the relevant verses of the Quran, but Islam is a universal religion (din) and was not meant to be limited to any single geographical area. There have been several communities other than Muslims and people of the book (Kitabis) who avoid pork. Among the pre-jewish people, the Egyptians of the dynastic period avoided pork some 2000 years before the codification of the Mosaic food traditions. Subsequently, pork consumption re-appeared among certain classes of Egyptians but avoidance appeared once again before the first Persian conquest (525B.C.)23. In several parts of Ancient Mesopotamia there was an ambiguity with regard to pigs which were considered sacred and unclean at the same time.

Although the Greeks, in general, freely ate pork, there were religious cults in Asia Minor and Crete which avoided this type of meat.24

In more recent times, large non-muslim communities in Africa (south of the Sahara), Central Asia (Mongolia), South-East Asia and Oceania also avoid pork;1 these are mostly pastoral peoples.

Some of the hypotheses which have been advanced to explain the avoidance of pork are as follows:

Reasons of hygiene and hazards to health.
The pig is a scavenger and visibly dirty in its habits.
Pork decays rapidly, especially in warm climates.
Through eating pork one gains the pig's physical or "personality" characters (This belief is widespread and applies also to many other meats and foods.)
Human souls transmigrate to various animals including pigs.
Certain groups have totemic relationship with pigs which may have helped the group in some way in the past, thus becoming sacred.
Hatred of other human groups which eat pork or at least the desire to remain distinct from them.
Other reasons including low prestige value, strangeness and psychological feelings of disgust.
Religious prohibition as illustrated by monotheistic religions has already been mentioned in the first two paragraphs of this section and is a powerful factor in pork avoidance

Arvin Sloane

We are not amused.
HSC
soha said:
u know in islam they are forbidded too..snails..dogs cats..monkeys..parrots..slugs and insects..they are all forbidden for good reason
and swine(pork)..is/was..forbidden in christianity once upon a time
1) Hogs are VERY clean creatures: if the pen is not cleaned out regularly, the hog will push feces out the corner of the fence (by the way, only one are of the pen is used as a bathroom)
2) Hogs (domesticated) are rarely fed any type of meat/scraps & there fore will no eat meat of any kind. Wild hogs will scavage & kill--but they will not eat a carcass killed by another animal.
3). And this is my most important agrument: my husband is a Cardiac RN.
ALL TISSUE VALVES AND TISSUE STINTS USED IN HEART SURGERY IS PIG VALVE/ARTERY. Medical student and Medical research is done exclusively on swine because the tissue is closely related to human in construction, "feel", and response. The rejection rate of a swine valve is less than 10% whereas mechanical valves fail or are rejected at 30%.
# Hogs are a source of nearly 40 drugs and pharmaceuticals on the market.
# Pork is the world’s most widely eaten meat
# Pig skin is used to treat massive burns in humans due to its similarity to human skin
# The pig is rated the fourth most intelligent animal.
# There are more than 180 species of pigs, found on every continent except Antarctica.
# Pigs are often thought to be dirty, but actually keep themselves cleaner than most pets. They are seen laying in mud because they do not have sweat glands and constantly need water or mud to cool off.
# In the old days, sea captains kept pigs on board because they believed, should they be shipwrecked, pigs always swam toward the nearest shore.
# To stop free-roaming pigs rampaging through their grain fields, Manhattan Island residents built a long wall on the northern edge of what is now Lower Manhattan. The street that came to board the wall was named... Wall Street.
# Swine research led to the development of the CAT scan, a technology for examining internal organs without surgery.
I like pork and other piggy products, and just thought I would send some piggy love out there in BOS land!

Elza

HSC
Korn said:
For those that are Muslim, whats it like being muslim, and what do u guys exactly believe and worship, i would like to know from the actual ppl not some website
To me being a Muslim is great. Despite the way that we are portrayed through the media Muslims are in reality very peaceful people and it is terribly unfortunate that the public are only ever exposed to the negative and FALSE representation of Islam through the wrongs of a minority. Since previous posts have detailed what we believe in and worship instead i'll clarify many misconceptions that people have and continuously confront me about...

Firstly, women in Islam are NOT oppressed....i am living proof of this. I recently graduated from high school and am now studying law at Uni. I have a great deal of freedom and do enjoy myself. I also want to say that wearing a headscarf is not a form of punishment/oppression but quite the opposite. The fact that i can wear a headscarf and walk the streets is, to me, quite liberating. Despite being pointed at, mocked and verbally abused i still have the confidence and courage to wear it happily and with dignity. The headscarf does not make me any less human than any other person...it does not automatically mean that i am oppressed nor does it incapacitate me. Further, Muslim women are not forced into marriage (im 18 and not married) and has EVERY say in who she does and doesnt wish to marry. It is actually forbidden in Islam to force marriage upon a girl who has no wish to get married. Having said that, those Muslim girls who get married at 15 for example may be forced (keeping in mind this is forbidden as she is unwilling) or she may choose to (who knows she might not want to work or educate herself OR she might want to get married and work and continue with her education). This whole notion of very early-age marriage is TRADITIONAL NOT RELIGIOUS- yes there is a significant difference!

Secondly, it is ABSOLUTELY FORBIDDEN in Islam to take a person's life...actually it is even forbidden to INTENTIONALLY step on an ant (of course if it is accidental then it is beyond our control). So now i put to you this question: If Islamically we cannot knowingly kill an ant how is it that people think Islam promotes acts of terrorism?? Again, the unlawful actions of a minority do not represent our beliefs, morals and religion...

Thirdly, males and females in Islam are EQUAL. Both have a right to work, both have the right to an education etc. Islam does not treat women as objects of sexual desire but rather aims to prevent this. Islamically a male does have the right to 4 wives- this is a very sensitive topic which is extremely misunderstood so i will briefly state how this right came about: In the days of Prohpet Muhammad many women were rendered widowed, desolate or weakened as a result of wars that took place and so God made it lawful for a man to marry upto 4 women in order to assist, protect and support them equally as they could not do so for themselves, considering the circumstances. Before passing judgements people should first look into the context and reasons/ways in which things come about as it is often self-explanatory and eliminates misconceptions. However, as time went on people thought that men were entitled to 4 wives to strictly fulfill their desires...AGAIN THIS IS INCORRECT and if a man marries 4 women for such reasons he will be punsihed. (Btw, nowadays it is very rare for men to marry upto 4 women and a woman had the right to leave her husband if he chooses to do so). Moreover, a male has no right to abuse his wife, physically, emotionally, verbally etc and Islam does not promote sex-role stereotypes (that women are only housewives and childbearers or that men are breadwinners). A woman can choose to be a breadwinner if she pleases and a man can stay at home and raise the children if he pleases, or they can share these reponsibilities.

Basically many people pass false judgements about Muslims without justifiable cause/reason and i think it is better to obtain clarification like 'Korn' has chosen to than rely on biased, discriminatory sources such as the media and websites. It is just as hideous to disriminate against someone because they happen to wear a headscarf and have certain beliefs as it is to discriminate against someone based on skin colour. Martin Luther King is remembered to have said 'Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that'. If we were to put this into practice it would be a step to making the world a more unified place.

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
Elza said:
Secondly, it is ABSOLUTELY FORBIDDEN in Islam to take a person's life...actually it is even forbidden to INTENTIONALLY step on an ant (of course if it is accidental then it is beyond our control). So now i put to you this question: If Islamically we cannot knowingly kill an ant how is it that people think Islam promotes acts of terrorism?? Again, the unlawful actions of a minority do not represent our beliefs, morals and religion...
But... what about jihad, and suchlike? I'm pretty sure there is a bunch of sayings in the qu'ran and stuff that mohammed said in regards to wiping out infidels etc. that actually promotes taking peoples lives if they denounce Islam or whatnot. And jihad of course -- holy war. How do you have a war without killing people?

more later.

Elza

HSC
starbaaa said:
But... what about jihad, and suchlike? I'm pretty sure there is a bunch of sayings in the qu'ran and stuff that mohammed said in regards to wiping out infidels etc. that actually promotes taking peoples lives if they denounce Islam or whatnot. And jihad of course -- holy war. How do you have a war without killing people?

more later.

Muslims cannot just go out and wage war and promote violence against people on the basis that they are not Muslim....this was never the case and should never be. In Islam we are taught to tolerate people of different faiths and that 'there is no compulsion in religion'. War should be an absolute last resort where ALL other means of reconcile have failed...hence, one cannot go out and declare jihad because s/he has an urge to do so or because s/he thinks that it is an immediate gateway to heaven because it isnt. Of course it is impossible to have a war and avoid killing people...this is why war is unfavourable in Islam if it can be avoided/prevented. Islam does NOT favour war over peace.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
starbaaa said:

more later.
jihad is actually ones struggle
struggle to be a muslim in every day to day life
like a woman wearing hejab(head scalf) its a form of jihad
jihad is not necessarily a holy war
infact so much has been taken out of context(from koran and hadith etc) in reguards to killing and war and jihad so on and so forth

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
starbaaa said:

more later.
the meaning of jihad is not war in the literal sense, when one performs jihad you are basically defending your religion in any way shape or form when it is directly attacked. e.g someone going "Islam is heaps gay" to me wouldd involve my own jihad of defending it and clearing up any misconceptions that person may have about the religion. Allah only condones jihad as a defence mechanism of the last resort when you are directly physically attacked and the time calls for you to fight only in defence of your own life and belief. The simple killing of 'infidels' based solely on the reason that they forsake Islam is almost as bad as being an 'infidel'. The biggest sins in Islam are:
1. Associating anyone with God (i.e brother, son, daughter wife etc)
2. Intentionally taking a life for no valid reason (a valid reason in my op would be if someone is strangling you and the only way you can save yourself is if you stab them wherever u can reach with whatever you can get hold of)
3. Telling lies
yup im pretty sure these are the big no-nos.

The only reason those quotations in the Qu'ran 'allow' killings is because at the time Mohammed pbuh was being condemned by those who did not chose to believe, these people were the reason he and his followers fled from Mecca to Medina, in his defence Allah sent down a revelation that allowed him to kill PURELY in his own defence..and even then he did that at a bare minimum, because once the non-believers retreated and Mohammed pbuh returned to MEcca he came face to face with many of those who attacked him, and by this time he had gained many more followers so he could easily have taken his revenge, instead he forgave them, allowing them to remain in the city.

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
that kebab man and that kebab looks very fishy.

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
lol i had a better one but i had to make my kebab pic smaller when i was craving kebabs...but im not anymore
im craving oportos

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
tangerinespeedo said:
lol i had a better one but i had to make my kebab pic smaller when i was craving kebabs...but im not anymore
im craving oportos
better yet
every oportos in sydney is halal
from what ive heard
coz their chicken distrivuter is halal..yay

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
fact i just found out..was on the news
every 4 minutes the adan(calling for prayer)..is played..recited etc around the world
so every 4 minutes its time to pray somewhere around the world
how cool ..yes indeed

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
uh huh very cool....i feel weird if i dont pray...like..i dunno...somethings unfinished. i get all jittery and unomfortable

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
A paradoxical world where innocents suffer n crims
HSC
soha said:
better yet
every oportos in sydney is halal
from what ive heard
coz their chicken distrivuter is halal..yay
just a correction on that bros n sis, the chicken in ALL oportos is Halah indeed, but the chips aren't. Apprently they use animal oil. Chips, as far as I know yet, are only Halal in Auburn n Bankstown, not in parra. Just confirm if you dont beleive me :) Overall, Oporto is not that bad. I'd rather have Sofra. Yum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)