Islam (1 Viewer)

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
Korn said:
I dont know, ill answer later
i heard the catholics pray to mary..what does that make her?
lol..dont worry..
i should just pick up a book and read it myself
or search the net
but u know..i cnat be bothered..easier to ask someone
thanx neways

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
soha said:
i heard the catholics pray to mary..what does that make her?
lol..dont worry..
i should just pick up a book and read it myself
or search the net
but u know..i cnat be bothered..easier to ask someone
thanx neways
Ask the bloke with a road sign as his avatar, the sign is yellow, i cant remember the guys name but, he seems to know a bit about Christianity

Jacks

HSC
soha said:
hm..what would that make mary to God...just the chosen mother or wife..or what?
Mary is just the chosen mother of Jesus, she was not God's wife or anything like because as you know God is not human. Mary was just a good person who God thought worthy and chose to bear Jesus...Mary had a partner in life, Joseph...but that's all another story.

Mary is the mother of Jesus...so some people pray to her as a motherly figure...it's probably hard to explain if you don't really understand the concept.

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
Arvin Sloane said:
Interesting, very interesting. Doesn't the body odour pose a problem? And what if some 'drops a bomb' is is a.okay to go "ewww" and try and move away? 'Cos that must be awkward.

And whats your version of christmas? Or is there no such corresponding holiday?
we do have equivalent festivals like christmas and easter..they're called eid-el-adha and eid-ul-fitr ( im pretty sure because i just call them Eid) and eid-ul-fitr comes after the month of fasting and its a massive giant party and everyone meets billions of people and the kids get money from old people and its great...eid-ul-adha is when you have to distribute food and money to the poor (u do that at the other eid too but this one's mainly for this reason)..its a bit more sombre but still people enjoy it and have parties and dinners and lotsa stuff involving the cooking and eating of food with a jillion people. at both eids you are supposed to donate to charity and give to the poor (zakat)

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
Arvin Sloane said:
That raises another question -- would you consider yourself to be forced fed? Do you feel you are Islamic because you where born into a, presumably, family with Islamic faith? Do you pity people who Allah hasn't been blessed? Do you feel the need to convert people to the right path? Don't you have a moral duty, if your religion is the one true religion, and Allah is the one true god, to do so?
that's a good question and i thought about that heaps too..and i was researching my own religion and i came across a part where we've been told to question the faith or the basis of this faith so as to find the logical foundation for our belief..because for each question ive had ive found an answer and the whole point of this was so that when you question part of your own belief and find your answer your faith is strengthened...wut longest sentance ever. so yeh we are encouraged to not follow blindly because that isn't faith at all...that's like sheep mentality, you're supposed to research the Qu'ran, the Hadith (not exactly the Holy book, sayings and tips on life from Mohammed pbuh and his family, followers) and Imam and relgious sources like that, from these you have to interpret the religion, overcome any doubts by inquiring about them and then keeping your heart pure, because this religion is based largely on intent..which is what Allah judges us on in the end. :)

ok i should read the whooole question
the answer to the obligation to convert people bit is:
we have a responsibility as muslims, to educate, not necessarily convert. We are here to enlighten people, clear up misgivings or misconceptions and educate them about the religion, it's principles, teachings and fundamentals. What the people do as a consequence is up to them, we are not here to force the religion on to someone and say NOW CONVERT DAMMIT!! our only obligation is to further knowledge of the religion and pose as dignified ambassadors of the religion from which people can gain a positive outlook on the faith, because ultimately it is the individual's own decision to decide which matters, simply by answering your questions i'm fulfilling my duty as a muslim. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
About Easter

where does the bunny and chocolates come into it? Yes i know easter is about the death of jesus, but wat does it have to do with chocolate or bunnies? Wat were bunnies runnning around in those days did something significant with chocolate.

I just want to know how chocalates and bunnies came into it?

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
Arvin Sloane said:
I do have some more questions, however, if you would indulge me: What times are the daily prayers? And how long are they? And are you (in case of emergency, caught in traffic, etc.) allowed to miss them? If so what must you do? Similar to the way Jewish can't eat pork, are their foods that are forbidden? What are your views on other religions -- do you feel they are wasting their time, or do you somehow believe that you are, in essence, praying to the same person? Do you feel offended by shows like ‘24’ that continue to show the enemies as people being of Islamic backgrounds? Is their a general vein of anti-Islamic sentiment in today’s media? Do you feel you, if you wished, renounce your religion? Do you feel you could accept your children’s decisions to renounce their religion? Could/Would you marry someone who wasn’t Islamic in faith? How do you accept what can not be proved?
suuure! i'd be happy to clear up any questions so here goes:

What times are daily prayers?
There are five prayers:
the dawn prayer this is usually an hour or two before dawn
the mid morning prayer usually around 11 am
the afternoon prayer round 2-4 ish
the evening prayer around 7sih
and the night prayer from about ummm i'd say 8 or 9ish

How long are they?
the morning prayer is 2 rakat...fairly short (about 4 minutes)
mid morning 4 rakat (this takes about 5-10 minutes)
afternoon-4 rakat
evening 3 rakat(umm id say about 5 minutes)
night - 4 rakat
there is also a prayer after night which is recommended called witr this is 3 rakat.

Are you in cases of emergency allowed to miss them?If so what must you do?
Yup, Allah's name means Most Merciful Most Forgiving and He recognises we are flawed and that we forget, or are held up, or sick etc etc etc so yeah if you miss a prayer you can make it up at any time of the day, provided it is during the same day. If you cant do it that same day and you are genuinely sorry or had a logical reason I have no reason to believe that Allah won't forigve you.

Are there foods which are forbidden?
Sure are, only a few though. We can't eat pork as mentioned somewhere in this thread, we can't drink alcohol or any substance which alters your mental state (unless it's for medicinal purposes). If you were in a desert or wherever and the only thing you come across is a pig and a bottle of vodka and you are dying of malnutrition you have every right to eat and drink that..but otherwise you should try to avoid these foods...its like a test of self restraint as well as having health benefits for you.

How do you feel about other religions?
Essentially our religion does not preach the forced imposition of our beliefs on to anyone, if they ask or are interested, enlighten them, if not, respect them and their beleifs and interact with them in a dignified, egalitarian manner. So basically we are taught to respect others and their beliefs, despite what we may make of what their faith is. The wasting their time thing...well we have been taught that the only way to go to heaven is to be a Muslim so in our heads maybe other religions are a waste of time...but oh gosh thats sounds mean...but who are we to judge? Like I said we have an 'each to their own policy' and respect all beleifs...we jsut stick to our own. And as much as some may deny it we do all (i.e christians, jews, muslims) pray to the same God.

Do you feel offended by shows like ‘24’ that continue to show the enemies as people being of Islamic backgrounds? Is their a general vein of anti-Islamic sentiment in today’s media?
This question, its pretty on target. I was watching NCIS and there was an Islamic militant who was wreaking havoc, much like 24 and many Hollywood movies. What can I say? If people want to form generalised ideals about a religion based solely on the stupid actions of some f*cked extremists then who's to stop them? We need more positive Islamic media and some Islamic leaders who don't take every word of the religion as an incentive to become advocates for Jihad(which should only be undertaken if you are directly attacked and have to fight in defence of your own lives or beliefs), and make the whole world think that all we do is kill and shout "Allah is Great". But yeah, I do feel offended, I wish people weren't so quick to judge, not all of us are murderous.

Do you feel you, if you wished, renounce your religion?
Hey, it's your life, do what you want. But even if I wanted to I wouldn't..because I wouldn't want to...(so confused myself there) everytime I've felt like I'm being held back by my religion I go read up about it, read the Qu'ran or Hadith or dig for answers from any Islamic source and I find it. If you want to you can, but personally I would never want to.

Do you feel you could accept your children’s decisions to renounce their religion?
I feel the only Islamic children who would do that would be those who did not have their religion completely explained to them, who did not have a firm grasp of the intricacies, or for that matter the basics of the religion. The other reason could be the absence of a positive role model or lack of religious influence in their lives. But a knowing, believing understanding kid would not change.

Could/Would you marry someone who wasn’t Islamic in faith?
This is actually not allowed unless the person becomes a believing Muslim for the sake of faith and not love, because only then will they be a true muslim and contribute to the faith.

wait i gtg for a second so i'll answer this one and the rest in a second.

ok back...to the question above
the reason you're not supposed to marry non muslims is because often your own faith is compromised, and in the case of children a muslim-muslim marriage produces muslim children who can further the faith, whilst an inter-faith marriage doesnt usually produce completely muslim kids who will further faith as they will us the example of their parents against them "y cant i do this? u married dad/mum and that was un islamic" etc etc

and the last one
How do you accept what can not be proved?
what exactly are you referring to? the existance of God? im not to sure what you are referring to so if you could clear that up that'd be gr8

Last edited by a moderator:

fashionista

Tastes like chicken
HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
where does the bunny and chocolates come into it? Yes i know easter is about the death of jesus, but wat does it have to do with chocolate or bunnies? Wat were bunnies runnning around in those days did something significant with chocolate.

speaking of bunnies..how did santa originate?

firehose

HSC
No idea how bunnies originated, must've been some marketing scheme lol.

Santa evolved from St.Nicholas, from memory he was this Christian back in the 4th century who was known for his secret giving to everyone.

So someday somebody (Coca-Cola maybe?) made it all immortal by revitalizing his image as 'Santa'. And no one needs telling how popular that image is today.

Not sure how St. Nicholas would feel about all this fuss today, but its certainly not that harmful..... Australians who aren't Christians can enjoy the holiday hoping for a gift from Santa instead :rolleyes:

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
Santa Claus in the US and Australia or Father Christmas in the UK, comes from the Dutch version Sinterklaas, who is a bearded man who appears in Dutch Christmas Nativities for some reason... The influence of Dutch immigrants on the US had made them call him Santa Claus instead of Father Christmas for some reason.

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
my question is about muslims
why yall hate the jews nowadays??
i use to remember the christians use to hate them before.

why aint muslims dont eat pork/pig meat for?
i know alot or most atleast has tried pork once, dont deny it, my friends some of them happens to be muslim has admit to tryin' pork before, dont worry u wont go to hell for it, its just meat.

having sex when u get married only, no, i know alot of muslims had have sex before they get married, no offence. unless your stricked.

this christian vs islam thing is media bullshit, dont blame america for it, just blame ur t.v screen.

christians celebrate easter, death of christ etc
muslims celebrate easter as well, true! unless your jewish

what is the difference of arab christian & a arab muslim-nothin' its just religion

what is it with muslims who wear scalves and those who dont?

ok my last thought..

christmas, do muslims celebrate it with the tree or dont, its not just for the christians only, but do yall share gifts to family etc??
unless your a jehovah witness

Jacks

HSC
I don't think you can generalise and say that all muslims hate jews, or that all muslims have tried pork. Some may have, it really depends on how strict you are and how much you follow your religion. There are a lot of Jewish people who don't follow the kosher rules of their religion, a lot of christians who are christians but not practicing.

As far as wearing the hijab goes that is an individual choice that every muslim woman must make for herself. They are only told to dress modestly...some woman may choose to dress modestly without the hijab, others may believe that it gives them protection, freedom etc.

Muslims don't eat pork because obviously what we eat has an effect on our health. Medical experts have concluded that pork is a harmful diet. Islam promotes the purity of both the mind and the soul, so the saying "you are what you eat" comes into it here. Muslims are of the opinion that anything which is harmful to the body is equally as harmful to the soul so they don't eat pork. Even muslims who are not all that devout won't usually eat pork for this reason...that's why things like alcohol are forbidden, and why specific dietary rules are in place.

Whether a muslim chooses to have sex before marriage is again an individual choice. Same goes for Jews or Christians, technically sexual intercourse before marriage is not favourably looked upon in any of these religions...but each individual makes their own mind up about this, regardless of their religion.

I don't think it is fair to claim that all muslims blame America for the biased media coverage, many muslims would be fully aware of the bias of the media. The annoying thing here I think is that people who know nothing about the religion are so easily persauded to believe whatever they read, see or hear about the religion with no actual knowledge of it!

Last edited:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
bitchgirl said:

i know alot or most atleast has tried pork once, dont deny it, my friends some of them happens to be muslim has admit to tryin' pork before, dont worry u wont go to hell for it, its just meat.

having sex when u get married only, no, i know alot of muslims had have sex before they get married, no offence. unless your stricked.

this christian vs islam thing is media bullshit, dont blame america for it, just blame ur t.v screen.

what is the difference of arab christian & a arab muslim-nothin' its just religion

ok my last thought..

christmas, do muslims celebrate it with the tree or dont, its not just for the christians only, but do yall share gifts to family etc??
Not all muslims hates jews, but i would say quite a few do, becuase of their attitude, a lot of jews are very arrogant for some reason, they are up them selves basically, not really a religon just an attitude problem. only some jews though not all of them.

muslims dont eat pork because pigs eat shit! thats basically why! majority of muslims dont eat pork, i dont know what of kind friends you have. I am sure christmas is not about giving gifts to each other, cause we do that at birthday parties and so on. I am sure it is not about the tree and decorations just not relevant to jesus's birth.. And do muslims have to celebrate christmas, do you celebrate any of thier festivals?or anyother religion hindu so on?

i dont know what you mean by the t.v thing. But American (not the people) government is targeting muslims for various reasons. There is hell lot of evidence to back that up. there is no media involved here, its quite clear what the government is up to?

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
bitchgirl said:

ok my last thought..

hate jews?
i dont hate them as a race and religon
however we been fighting with them for religous and political reasons for ages..
my best friend is jewish..dont generise..they are like our brotehrs u know..in religon..well some of em
we dont eat pork because its forbidden and its disgusting
its the only animal that sleeps with its own mother
it eats its own shit
its fatty and greasy..it has a bacteria in it that wont die
it causes so much health problems and its just grose
i admit ive tried it..when i wa slittle i ate it on pizza coz i didnt know
after then i never had it again

we dont have sex b4 marriage..atleast a practicing muslim doenst
just coz ur friends might doenst mean its ok in islam

how can muslims celebreat easter whne we dont believe jesus is god or gods son or died even..
if we were to celebrate easter and believe in it we would not be muslims

u answered ur own question
an arab muslim is a muslim and an arab christian is a christian
they have 2 different religons
which can play a huge part in what kind of ppl they are

muslims dont celebrate christmas..christians believe christ the savious is born?
we believe prophet and messenger jesus peace be upon him was born
we acknowledge it but we dont celebrate
and a christmas tree..no we dont do trees
although some might..because it has no significance to jesus
but neways xmas is more of a commercial holiday then religous

Last edited:

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
HotShot said:
Not all muslims hates jews, but i would say quite a few do, becuase of their attitude, a lot of jews are very arrogant for some reason, they are up them selves basically, not really a religon just an attitude problem. only some jews though not all of them.

muslims dont eat pork because pigs eat shit! thats basically why! majority of muslims dont eat pork, i dont know what of kind friends you have. I am sure christmas is not about giving gifts to each other, cause we do that at birthday parties and so on. I am sure it is not about the tree and decorations just not relevant to jesus's birth.. And do muslims have to celebrate christmas, do you celebrate any of thier festivals?or anyother religion hindu so on?

i dont know what you mean by the t.v thing. But American (not the people) government is targeting muslims for various reasons. There is hell lot of evidence to back that up. there is no media involved here, its quite clear what the government is up to?

pork can be a dirty meat ofcourse, but how about people who eat dog meat or
eat snails or other meat that can be real dirty?
and yeah it always the governments up in countries doin' stuff to make people believe in the hype in the media and believe the governments, but people who are
anti-america are they targetin' the government or the whole country and its people??, and i mean anyone who is anti-america not a religious based matter.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
HotShot said:

[pagon beliefs and celebrations at the time that we have even today
easter is about spring and celerating spring
hence the reason the easter show is like..happines..rides..games..baby animals being born..jam comps..plant shows..animals shows..etc
it has nothing to do with jesus or religon...
spring..easter bunnys..chocolates..blah blah..thats the non religous side to it
then theres christianity and jesus etc

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
bitchgirl said:
pork can be a dirty meat ofcourse, but how about people who eat dog meat or
eat snails or other meat that can be real dirty?
and yeah it always the governments up in countries doin' stuff to make people believe in the hype in the media and believe the governments, but people who are
anti-america are they targetin' the government or the whole country and its people??, and i mean anyone who is anti-america not a religious based matter.
u know in islam they are forbidded too..snails..dogs cats..monkeys..parrots..slugs and insects..they are all forbidden for good reason
and swine(pork)..is/was..forbidden in christianity once upon a time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)